—— The Identical Sep 05

Seeking Justice Reviews

LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 16, 2010
"Nicolas Cage is kinda back were I like him to be. In good movies doing good acting. Some of his work lately has been questionable. But I am glad that in this film he has restored my faith in him. The movie is not amazing, but it's a good action thriller about revenge. But the revenge that was suppose to be about "Seeking Justice" soon turns into this community of viscous killers out doing their own form of justice. I thought the story was interesting and I really liked Cage and Jones together. I thought he seemed too old to be playing her love interest, but I think it worked. Overall, the film delivered and I enjoyed it."
Al S

February 20, 2012
A slick, hard-edged, surprisingly smart and riveting action-thriller thats visceral and filled with unexpected twist and turns. A strong film with solid performances from its great cast and two wicked twist that you wont see coming. An excting edge of your seat film that will keep your heart-pounding. It has a seductive rythem all its own. Nicolas Cage is explosive, one of his better performances and films in the last few years. Guy Pearce is at his best, giving an elctrifying performance. Cage and Pearce work well together and square off with explosive intensity. The film works profoundly well and has you screaming at the end wanting more. A wildly entertaining and mind-blowing thrill-ride from the start to its shocking finish.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 1, 2012
Vengeance always has a price

Not bad at all, it's worth watching! Seeking Justice has some great action scenes and some interesting plot twists and i enjoyed it for what it was,a good action thriller.

After his wife is assaulted, a husband enlists the services of a vigilante group to help him settle the score. Then he discovers they want a 'favor' from him in return.
familiar s

February 13, 2012
As a time-pass thriller, it serves means to ends, but nothing beyond that. However, it amazed me that while Nicolas Cage was reasonably tolerable, Guy Pearce wasn't quite so.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

October 30, 2013
In "Seeking Justice," Will(Nicolas Cage), an English teacher, and Laura(January Jones), a musician, happily celebrate their fifth anniversary with friends and family. And then everything changes when Laura is brutally raped. While waiting in the hospital, Will is approached by Simon(Guy Pearce) who offers to take care of the responsible party in exchange for a favor at a future date. After giving it some thought, Will agrees. Six months later, things have apparently returned to normal, even with Laura going behind Will's back to buy everything in a gun store except for a grenade launcher. That's when Will is called on for his favor, playing a game of Simon Says that begins with a letter to the North Pole...

As a director, Roger Donaldson has gone back and forth between intelligent fare(The World's Fastest Indian) and more commercial fare(The Recruit). With his film "Seeking Justice," he tries to combine the two in a very awkward mix. While the movie desperately wants to have something to say about post-Katrina New Orleans and does have a couple of white knuckle moments, it also has more than its share of contrivances and is simply content to let its protagonist off the hook. While Guy Pearce is the best thing about the movie(but you knew that already), it is odd as always to watch Nicolas Cage trying to play a normal person and January Jones trying to play a human being.(The latter of which might explain why we do not get as much of Laura's story as we probably should.) All of which is especially sad considering the acute shortage of fictional ultra-secretive nefarious organizations these days, non-terrorist division, of course.
Dann M

March 24, 2013
"The hungry rabbit jumps." Seeking Justice is a provocative thriller that's full of intrigue. When Will's wife is raped he's approached by a shadow organization that offers to eliminate the rapist in exchange for a "favor," but he soon discovers that the organization's not what it seems to be. The story starts out a bit slow and formulaic, but it gains momentum and eventually weaves a compelling mystery. The cast is pretty good, and includes Nicolas Cage, Guy Pearce, and January Jones; though their performances are fairly mediocre. While Seeking Justice is a typical action film in a lot of way, it's entertaining and has some intense moments.
Todd S

January 26, 2012
Seeking Justice is a rare example of a B-Movie blockbuster. This film may have been direct-to-video, but it features one hell of a cast, a ton of action, and a pretty decent storyline. Like most B-movies, this film was predictable as hell, but not in a bad way. Yes, I knew what was coming, but I was still interested in seeing how it was done and what the results would be. Nicholas Cage is actual not the action star of this film, he is merely a High School English Teacher, with a seemingly perfect life. His world gets turned around though when his wife is savagely raped and beaten. As a result, Cage has two options, let the police do their thing or find someone else to take care of business. Can you guess which choice he made? Cage is of course fantastic as always. Even if the particular film doesn't suit your interests, when you see that it stars Nicholas Cage, you know you're about to be entertained. Guy Pierce is also excellent, giving a performance that was eerily similar to that of his character in Memento. Seeking Justice is definitely not an award winning film and is destine to fall under the radar of most moviegoers, but it's just as thrilling and entertaining as anything you'll see at the box office.
PantaOz
PantaOz

October 4, 2012
This movie was formerly known as The Hungry Rabbit Jumps or on Sky Anytime just as Justice. It is an action film starring Nicolas Cage, January Jones and Guy Pearce. The film was safely directed by Roger Donaldson and that could be the reason why is not favourite with the critics. Full with thriller clichés which are well done, maybe lacks in originality but not in excitement!

Interesting story is happening in New Orleans and tells us about the tragic events in the life of Will Gerard (Nicolas Cage) - a humble English teacher at Rampart High School. Will's wife Laura (January Jones) is a musician who is in a local orchestra and one night, after a performance, Laura is beaten and brutally raped by a stranger named Hodge (Alex Van)... At the hospital, while Will is waiting for news about Laura's condition, he is approached by a man who calls himself Simon (Guy Pearce). Simon tells Will that he represents an organization that deals with people that the justice system has failed to deal with...

There is not many movies like this on the market at the moment and I am glad I had a chance to catch this one!
Jeffrey M

September 8, 2012
By-the-numbers, profoundly dumb, and acted flatly, Seeking Justice offers nothing to really warrant it's existence. It's not particularly fun, the action is pedestrian, the plot is exceedingly familiar, and the characters are not developed nor particularly interesting. Things are done well enough to pass for a straight-to-dvd level of competence, but nothing to make it worth watching.

2/5 Stars
Christopher H

March 1, 2012
Is it just me, or is Nicolas Cage just doing films because he needs the money? Seeking Justice rides the line between a horrible joke of a thriller and a shred of a good idea. The cast is the film's saving grace. Put Guy Pearce in anything and watch audience's turn their heads to see it. Plus, the beautiful January Jones can definitely get a man's attention. I am a die hard Nicolas Cage fan, through and through, so on paper, this film looked worthy enough to see. The plot, however, drives this film into the ground. The shocks are watered down, the performances are somewhat lacking, and there's a character that acts like a fairy Godmother, opening and closing doors just to further the plot. Though my hopes were never high for this film, there is simply something missing in this revenge thriller.
Nicolas K

February 14, 2012
It is rather disappointing when a thriller has absolutely no surprises, as all the twists are expected. It is even a bit of a let down that the admittedly strong cast ensemble, do not seem to particularly exert themselves with real conviction. But it is one of those films that I will neither ill-advise, nor recommend others to watch.
Jason C

March 19, 2012
Even with this spectacular cast, Seeking Justice is a pretty bad movie. If I had to guess, I'd say no one directed Seeking Justice, they just had someone yell "action," then "cut!" The best editor in the business couldn't have saved this one. I mean there were some poorly delivered lines and simple acting by a few of the actors. Even with the story picking up toward the end, and an ending that could have been pretty good, the actor destroyed the ending with a crappily delivered line. The writers were new, but they're not wholly to blame, because I could see this being a pretty good story.

Nicolas Cage showed that even with a bad script, and little effort on his part, he can deliver a pretty good performance. I hate that he takes one poor line after another the way he does. January Jones is beautiful. She's also a good actress. Guy Pearce is consistently good. It's sort of downhill from there.

I don't know how this made it to theaters. Maybe it was because of the cast. If Seeking Justice was the first episode in a new TV series (and it was under that quality even), I wouldn't bother watching the next episode. You can skip this all together.
March 1, 2014
Seeking Justice is truly one of Nicolas Cage's better films and maybe the best one in his last 15 or so. The plot hinges on a very interesting and creative concept of an underground vigilante operation that I haven't seen in any other movie. Some of the plot points that progress the story arc feel a bit weak but overall, I was pleasantly surprised but how entertaining and well written and acted the movie was.
November 25, 2013
Classic awful Nic Cage. This is just a terrible movie...there's nothing right with it, it's all so bad. The only thing that's noteworthy in the plus column is Guy Pearce, who's actually alright here. Normally I'd say he's pretty good, but it's hard to see that here because Cage's movies usually drag everyone else down into an endless abyss with him. Only watch this is you enjoy trainwrecks.
PeteyPablo10
October 28, 2013
Kind of cool thriller without all the extreme action going on. I loved the plot and the whole conspiracy about this organization seeking justice. I like how the story unfolded and the standoff at the end. Nicolas Cage was, well, Nicolas Cage. I thought it was cool how this system extended out further than I thought. The whole "white rabbit jumps" saying really stuck with me. Overall a solid thriller that's worth the time.
thepersonwhowatchesmovies
June 13, 2012
In the fall of last year, I watched and reviewed Trespass, a critically reviled independent thriller starring fallen thespian Nicolas Cage. However, when viewing the film, I had little intention of treating it as average theatrical entertainment; I attended the film solely for the purpose reveling in "so bad it's good" unintentional humor, and to see Cage at his absolute looniest. Many toss slight insults at the formerly unanimously acclaimed actor, stating that his best days are behind him due to poor decisions as to which films are worth his talent (or at least his pocketbook). While I do admittedly deeply wish Cage would dismiss thoughts of earnings for a couple weeks in order to take on a more hefty role, he still possesses an incredible skill which allows his toiling in the realms of exceedingly mediocre cinema to be, at the very least, bearable: He can help transform any screenplay, no matter how conventional, ludicrous, dull, or simply abysmal, into something thoroughly entertaining almost entirely through his performance. It's movie magic in one of its strangest forms; though he cannot turn atrocious material into great art, he can certainly raise it to the level of certainly satisfying mediocrity. Even though I treated Trespass with far lower expectations than perhaps any other film reviewed on the site, Seeking Justice was critiqued without handicap/favoritism, and the result of which is a description which exactly matches my opinion of the majority of Cage's latter day work: Satisfying Mediocrity.Set in a post-Katrina New Orleans, after a peaceful english teacher's (Nicolas Cage) wife is brutally raped (January Jones), he accidentally emits himself into a web of vigilantism when he requests the killing of his wife's attacker by a charismatic stranger (Guy Pearce). The plot seems slightly ridiculous in the text format, and doesn't improve very much in terms of plausibility when brought to the big screen. It's a generic conspiracy movie lightly crossed with slightly subtler Charles Bronson, and the combination results in hopelessly dumb, yet surprisingly highly entertaining pulp. Even more surprising though, is that rather than Cage, the film is carried by Roger Donaldson's (The Bank Job) direction. He keeps the film moving at such a pace you don't realize the absurdity until far too late for it to be questioned, and even occasionally succeeds in making certain nonsensical situations believable. Donaldson also succeeds in turning his post-Katrina New Orleans setting into a true character in the film; not just having the city be a generic well known place to feature action. An example of this can be found in the film's final shootout, shot (pun intended) in an abandoned shopping center never cleaned after the hurricane. The moral decay of the characters is just as prominent as the physical decay of the city.Seeking Justice is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a great movie, but still delivers its good share of pulpy thrills through Donaldson's direction, and the very presence of Nicolas Cage. Though I probably will not remember very much about the film come two weeks, at the time it was a fun watch; nothing more, nothing less. Just like the majority of Cage's latter day cinematic cannon, this was unadulterated satisfying mediocrity.Grade: B-
September 9, 2012
Ya, it's probably full of holes if you wanna go looking, but I choose to try to enjoy a film, not tear it apart. This one has a fair amount of action, a couple zigs and maybe even a zag if yer not careful. It was fun enough for us. I'm a big Nicolas Cage fan, so I give it maybe an extra half star 'cause I can.
kaitlynj99
August 9, 2012
Good storyline. Keeps you into it and wanting to know what really is going on. Nicolas Cage was excellent as usual. Watch out for the ending...it does not really end.
holschuh4
June 25, 2012
First thing that caught my eye was Nicholas Cage's hair. It wasn't atrocious for once! Good entertainmment for the night.
June 22, 2012
More and more Nicholas Cage movies are a gamble. It's a shame that his money problems have put him in a spot where he must put his name on every script that comes along his path. But this one is one of the ones that actually turned out to be decent. I decided to risk myself because the title suggested a typical tale of personal revenge in the purest style of B cinema, and besides, Nicolas Cage can be a good actor whenever he wants to. To my surprise, the film ended up defying my low expectations with a screenplay which is more ambitious than I expected, and even though it eventually tangles itself too much for its own good, I never found it boring or predictable. I found the concept of Seeking Justice very interesting. Something that would have ended up in Hitchhock's world of Strangers on a Train or Dial M for Murder. It works pretty well for the most part even though it does trip up on it's own feet from time to time and the climax is excessively convenient but Donaldson being a pretty good director kept the pace up and never lets it get boring. Cage makes a credible work in the leading role, and he is well complemented by the solid performances from January Jones who is actually given more to do then stand around and look pretty and Guy Pearce as usual doesn't disappoint. Definitely not a bad pick for a new release rental.