Justice League: The New Frontier - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Justice League: The New Frontier Reviews

January 4, 2016
How the JLA came together in a nutshell. A small nutshell. While it's good that the focus goes broader than simply Batman and Superman for a change the justice done the other frontrunners in the DC universe is not really justice. The work has a curious retro look going for it that's not offputting and the actors (quite a few names!) and music do well. If only it had been better written.
MANUGINO
March 15, 2010
Good animated movie. I love all the superheros involved especially the Flash one of my favorites all-time. I like how they did not concentrate in one character only and divided there attention into all throughout the movie.

Adapting the award-winning DC Comics miniseries DC: THE NEW FRONTIER by Darwyn Cooke, Justice League: The New Frontier spins a tale of the DC Universe in the 1950s, focusing on test pilot Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) and the Martian Manhunter. The story also features other DC characters, including Barry Allen (the Flash), Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and many more.
May 28, 2010
29/05/2010 (DVD)

Its the New "Justice League" in the 1950's!

Its fun watching most of the popular "Super Heroes" in one flick but what I enjoyed most was the story telling. This version was awesome! Its darker and more sinister. I also got a glimpse of some of the other "Justice League" members who were gradually taken out of the group during the comics.

The animation is fantastic and from the credits I noticed a lot of Asian names, most likely Japanese and Korean I believe who mostly dealt with the art and animation department.

I hope they do more like/of this!
March 21, 2008
I didn't read the graphic novel off of which The New Frontier was based (at least not the first time I saw it) but I'm guessing there was a lot more to it and this movie is more or less a Cliff Notes edition. I loved the 50s setting with the red paranoia and the whole scapegoating aspect of the story's opening was really impressive. The ending kind of flaked out in the same way anime movies flake out but the very ending tied together pretty nicely. Nowhere nearly enough Batman and Green Lantern (as in NOT Hal Jordan) but overall not bad. I liked it a lot more the second time around and it got much more of an emotional reaction out of me. I don't know if I was having a particularly Summer's Eve kind of day, if the movie's message spoke louder this time or what. But the stretch of the movie where it looked like Superman bought it had me a tad misty. Justice League: New Frontier is proof positive that their animated features beat the hell out of Marvel's. Great voice performances and an overall great job.
½ November 18, 2009
A really cool stylized look for the Justice League. The animation looks beautiful, easily some of the best i've seen in a while. It's got a really decent plot and the characters stayed true to the source material, which was nice. The voice talent was a change, but it worked well with the stylized concept. I hope there's more to follow...
½ February 23, 2009
Justice League: The New Frontier is absolutely genius and fantastic. The first great step is to set it back in the 50's. It captures the soul of each character and also allows for some excellent sci-fi B movie twists and turns. It has dinosaurs, aliens and the best superheroes ever. It touches on sexism, racism and war. It is pretty adult stuff, with talk of communism and Batman snapping arms. It's real world setting makes this like Watchmen in so many ways. The 70 minute running time is it's only flaw. A lot to cram in here. The voice cast were perfect, especially Sisto and Harris and it was nice to see that DC didn't rely on Bats and Supes to save the day. Wonderful animation as well. It makes you hope for a live action Justice League movie. Just be sure to set it in the 50's, make it 3 hours and get the same writers on board.
½ July 12, 2008
If all DC comics stories were like this I would actually buy their comics again. A great story done really well in the dawn of the Silver age gapping it with the Golden age.
deano
½ July 13, 2008
Great and thrilling adventure reveals the origin of the DC Comics' Justice League. I like the adventure scenes of the Green Lanturn, The Flash and Superman in this animated movie.
½ March 2, 2008
This is a great leap forward from the first DC UNIVERSE movie that came out last year. That would be the Superman / Doomsday movie that wasn't done well at all.
This one stayed closer to the source material than the other one and was a really good companion piece to the book.
It did have to sacrifice some of the story so that it could fit in the 70 minute time frame but it doesn't weaken the overall plot and feel of the flick.
The animation style is good and is pretty close to the original source material. i liked all the character designs and liked the retro feel to the whole movie.
The voices for this flick are excellent and varied. The casting was well done and it's fun.
All in all I really liked this flick and i hope they keep up the momentum and try and steer clear of the train wreck that was the first.
Beefy
½ March 1, 2008
Well done and loving homage to an era gone by in comicdom.
February 26, 2008
Somewhat different take on The Justice League, but I found the story to be a good one.

It's nice to see they didn't spend all the time with Superman having him catch bigger and bigger items like always seems to happen...

There's a balance among the superheroes appearances, though it mostly focuses on the Green Lantern, a hero I know next to nothing about.

Overall, great story, great characters, and one very cool reveal right near the end, if you ask me.

Jeremy Sisto's Batman voice is definitely the coolest!
June 20, 2013
An exciting and visionary take on the DC Universe, Justice League: New Frontier delivers a bold and unique adventure. The story follows an ancient evil known as the Centre that rises to threaten mankind; meanwhile several superheroes emerge to meet the challenge. The '50s setting adds an interesting aspect to the story, and is enhanced by the retro animation style. Additionally, an all-star cast that features David Boreanaz, Neil Patrick Harris, Lucy Lawless, and Kyra Sedgwick has been assembled. However, the film feels fragmented and the villain isn't developed very well. While there are a few flaws, Justice League: New Frontier is an ambitious feature that's quite entertaining.
½ December 16, 2010
Nice work, DC. You do have it in you.
½ January 26, 2010
It was a little unnerving seeing the Justice League in their original incarnations and of course with different voice actors than the ones used in the modern day Justice League: Unlimited. The biggest gem of this film, for me, was the fact that it didn't romanticize the 1950s like so many people have. It was an era of legal racism, sexism, and hawk-ism. The writers of this movie shined a glaring light on that, while also throwing the DC heroes into the mix. For that I admire this film. But other than that, this film didn't really do much for me. Like I said, the animation and VO actors were unnerving, especially Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman (though you'd think they'd be the perfect fit).Also, I HATED the way Jon Jonzz looked. I'm so used to his Unlimited incarnation, that this version just looked campy to me.
shitfaced8
½ August 31, 2011
A pretty good, animated version of the 6 issue comic book series of the same name. Essentially this covers what the league was up to from the end of World War II to the McCarthyist paranoia of the 1950's Cold War era. A really entertaining film for sure, and one that is bound to pleaser those of it's target age group audience. For me however, the film was trying to say a little too much without giving themselves the proper amount of time to really tell the story. While I havent read the comic series I can't help but feel like this film version has been edited down tot he point that only the most simple and basic aspects of the comic were included. Nothing was really given enough time to develop naturally, so this movie definently loses points in the storytelling department. That being said they did a lot of interesting things with these characters we all grew up on, so enthusiasts of the comics will probably celebrate this movie regardless. All in all worth a watch for sure to casual fans of DC's superheros. Probably a must see for those who are really into this stuff.
½ October 7, 2009
It started off really good, but the story was in pieces and the ending was just a "free for all". Also I just didn't like Jeremy Sisto as Batman. The only character I cared about was Flash (Neil Patrick Harris) because he was an underdog compared with the rest of the superheroes.
John2223
½ October 26, 2008
Not great but pretty good music, story and voice cast.
July 13, 2008
The best comic to motion picture movie I have seen. Good art, good story and the voice work is spot on.
March 10, 2008
DAMN! The best animated comic book movie I have seen yet. This thing kicks all kinds off ass!
August 13, 2008
This was ok. We have the start of the Super Power Registration Act (which they did in the Marvel universe as well). Flash and the Martian quit because of it.)