Critic Review - Newark Star-Ledger

The movie remains so sanitized, so authorized that it never gives us credit for being able to make up our own minds about him and what he represents.

February 11, 2011 Full Review Source: Newark Star-Ledger | Comments (44)
Newark Star-Ledger
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

lisa b.

lisa bree

I think it's funny when people make rough assumptions about other people without even meeting them in person. Calling his mom sanctimonious is a bit over the top. If you did your research you would have known that Justin IS being properly educated by a private tutor. He's in the 11th grade and has a very high IQ. What movie doesn't advertise products? You're seriously going to complain about that? He doesn't look any younger than his age, but I'm not surprised that someone as average looking as you would pick on him for looking ''too'' young. Kind of funny when you cry about adult women looking at him instead of you.

Feb 12 - 06:42 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Good work! I'm sure Stephen is going to read this and change how he reviews movies, posthaste! Make sure your next post is longer so the next critic with a negative review can get even more biased feedback. They love that shit.

Feb 13 - 04:20 AM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Oh, and: "I think it's funny when people make rough assumptions about other people without even meeting them in person".

I laughed for a good 5 minutes about that one. You obviously haven't met Justin Bieber, and you are just making assumptions about him based on information you have read. What was it that I was laughing about again?

Feb 13 - 04:23 AM

lisa b.

lisa bree

No I've made assumptions about him over things he's actually done. He's helped build over 14 schools in 3rd world countries. His gives 1 dollar per tickets sold at all his concerts to Pencials For Promise. He's done so much for his fans and for kids in need, but yet idiots like you sh*t on him for making music you happen to not like. You haven't meet him or any of his team to say he's a bad person. Sit down mk?

Feb 15 - 01:42 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

"I think it's funny when people make rough assumptions about other people without even meeting them in person." Now you have contradicted yourself twice. You say I'm an idiot that shits all over Justin Bieber, huh? I don't hate Justin Bieber. I don't give a shit about Justin Bieber, nor does anyone over the age of 20. I've never even listened to any of his music. Why? Because I'm not a teenager. Now, back to you. Were you there when Justin decided to "help build 14 schools in 3rd world countries"? Were you there when he decided to give 1 dollar from every ticket sold to PENCILS for Promise? For isn't capitalized in titles, FYI. No, you weren't. Sorry to tell you but none of that was his decision. It's called publicity. He gets back ten-fold every dollar he loses through donations to charity, due to fans like you lopping this shit up and buying all his shit. Everyone in the business does this. It's standard procedure. Now, I could call you names, like you did me, but I prefer to let everyone see your stupidity through your own writing. Maybe you should get a fundamental understanding of the words "contradiction" and "publicity" before you try responding to this. Otherwise, you'll only further embarrass yourself.

Feb 16 - 12:06 PM

lisa b.

lisa bree

Sorry it's called Pencils Of Promise, not 'for'. And why should it matter if I was there when he was building schools? That part made no sense. And even if it weren't his decison he's still making a change. He's still getting those kids an education, and hope for a better future. He's still visiting those kids in hospitals because that was their wish. What have you done with your life to make anyone feel better, to make this world somewhat of a better place? NOTHING. All you do is spread negativity with your cynical attitude. It's funny when you say you don't care about Justin Bieber, yet you're on his movie profile. Haters are all the same. Gotta laugh and feel sorry for them. smh...

Feb 16 - 12:34 PM

Smorgisporg B.

Smorgisporg Bob

Feb 16 - 04:03 PM

Smorgisporg B.

Smorgisporg Bob

You make fun of people for misspelling things, then misspell stuff and blow it off as nothing. You make much more than "rough" assumptions about people who you know literally nothing about, but say that they shouldn't do such a thing about Justin Bieber simply because you like him. Thank you for contradicting yourself and showing yourself to be a hypocrite that has absolutely no reason to be on this site other than to defend a teen-sensation. And please, stop being so hostile and defensive. And also, you said that Justin Bieber is better than him, elaborate please? I thought everyone was equal? Saying one person is better than another is the reason why people hate someone like Justin Bieber, because fans like you are so annoying, hypocritical, and obnoxious.

Feb 16 - 04:05 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Here, I'm going to translate what you wrote into English so that everyone can read it, and then I will respond to it.

"Sorry, it's called Pencils of Promise(Notice how I did not capitalize 'of'), not 'for'. And, why should it matter if I was there when he was building schools? That part made no sense. And, even if it wasn't his decision he's still making a change. He's still getting those kids an education and hope for a better future. He's still visiting those kids in hospitals because that was their wish. What have you done with your life to make anyone feel better; to make this world somewhat of a better place? NOTHING. All you do is spread negativity with your cynical attitude. It's funny that you say you don't care about Justin Bieber, yet you're on his movie's profile. Haters are all the same. Gotta laugh and feel sorry for them. smh..."

Right, well it seems as if you still do not understand the basics of publicity. I'll explain further. You cannot say that Justin Bieber cares about these people because you weren't there when these decisions were made. If I were to have the money that he has, I would of course do the same thing that he is doing. Why? Because it looks good. Now, this brings us back to our little assumptions discussion. I cannot assume Justin Bieber does not give a shit about kids in 3rd world countries, and that he only uses them to both make himself look good and increase profit margins. Just as I cannot assume this, you cannot assume the opposite to be true. We were not there for this discussion, so we cannot know his motives.

Now, back to how you say I have done nothing to make this world somewhat of a better place. I'm a 22 year old college student. I think there's plenty of time for me to do that when I get to be a little older, but for now I think I'm going to continue on the path that I am on.

Also, this isn't the Justin Bieber fan site. This is Rottentomatoes. I truly do not give a shit about Justin Bieber, just as I do not give a shit about "Gnomeo and Juliet", yet I wrote comments on 'that movie's profile' too. I enjoy finding uneducated people that think highly of themselves, and then I pick apart every retarded thing they have to say. What does that say about you?

Feb 16 - 05:36 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

Sorry, uneducated people who* think highly of themselves.

Feb 16 - 05:37 PM

Nicholas S.

Nicholas Stamatovich

Justin Bieber: Serious business.

Mar 8 - 06:06 PM

lisa b.

lisa bree

LOL! You're really getting butt hurt over the word 'of'? You have way too much time on your hands. That's also a sign that your argument is weak. Also I said something like even if he didn't care about the kids he's STILL making them happy! And the fact that you said you would do it only because it looks good speaks a lot about what kind of person you are, and gives you no right to judge Justin. You spend your time on sites like these searching for comments and starting fights with people? You're 22 and you don't have a job or friends or even a life. I feel very sorry for you. I can't waste my time on a bum like you. Hopfully you find some peace within yourself to not pick on 16 year olds who have better lives than you. Bye now and God bless :)

Feb 16 - 08:05 PM

Loki

Loki LASTNAME

I corrected just about every sentence you wrote. Try learning to read. Of course, ignorance is bliss, so it would make sense that you think you're happy. Good luck with your crazy obsession. Mark my words that you'll be looking back 5 years later with your new friends and thinking, "Oh God. Remember Justin Bieber? I can't believe how obsessed I was with him!" That's assuming you'll have friends in 5 years. Do you think you'll be able to make some online college of Phoenix friends? Hopefully. Of course, I go to a real college, where I spent probably around 15 minutes of today pointing out your inconsistencies to see if you could come up with anything mildly interesting to say to back up your claims. You've been a tremendous waste of that 15 minutes. I too tire of trying to reason with one who cannot be reasoned with. Also, I'm pretty sure I have a much more interesting life than you can imagine. Not that anyone could imagine, just you. Of course, if I told you about it you would just twist my words and interrupt me with self contradictions. Yes, I can point out the fact that you are inept at reasoning on an online site, but that doesn't necessarily mean I am a dork.

Feb 16 - 11:50 PM

EveryWeakness

Jake Moss

"You're really getting butt hurt over the word 'of'?"

Pahahaha, proper English is more important than Justine Beaver.

Feb 17 - 12:21 PM

Louis Lozada

Louis Lozada

Oh just shut up already!! I do like bad shit as well, but at least I admit they're terrible! Bieber has no talent!

Jul 27 - 02:49 PM

Nathaniel B.

Nathaniel Brigham

Original Comment: "I think it's funny when people make rough assumptions about other people without even meeting them in person"

Replies to Loki:
"You're 22 and you don't have a job or friends or even a life"
"What have you done with your life to make anyone feel better, to make this world somewhat of a better place? NOTHING."
"You have way too much time on your hands."

Ha. Haha. That is all.

Dec 19 - 05:25 PM

Elias B.

Elias Bauer

Gotta love his little defenders on the internet. 12 year-old girls.

Feb 13 - 10:15 AM

lisa b.

lisa bree

Actually I'm 17, nice try though :)

Feb 15 - 01:44 PM

Burr

Shawn Barrera

I smell a fangirl, lisa b. You have got a lot to learn in life; 17 is a lot closer to 11 than you think.

Feb 17 - 03:28 PM

Justus Bearden

Justus Bearden

i think your more like 8

Dec 16 - 03:42 PM

Dylan Groh

Dylan Groh

I wouldn't even give him that much credit, more like 6.

Jul 22 - 01:20 AM

decayboy

billy madison

none of this matters. He's lyrically untalented and cant dance, nuff said. You don't have to meet the kid to judge his gimmick, stop nerdraging

Feb 15 - 05:52 PM

lisa b.

lisa bree

I guess the only songs you've ever listened to were ''baby'', or ''one time''. You've never heard his songs like 'won't stop' or 'where are you now', which is about his parents breaking up. A lot of musciaians don't write the best lyrics so why don't you pick on them? Stop hating on people who are better than you. You're a nobody

Feb 16 - 12:27 PM

decayboy

billy madison

lol I heard his "music" hence he he's simply lacking talent and again cant dance. Lisa your a zilch just like everyone else posting on here and your defending a scrubby kid who doesn't even know u even exist and never will. Stick w/ school kid cuz your teenage angst is pointless on here :)

Feb 16 - 08:23 PM

Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Oh I just knew she would eventually resort to it. She played the Justin Beiber is awesome and your just some piece of crap nobody. I just read her rambling incoherent diatribe against Loki (by the way man, you always crack me up in these posts.) Anyways, referring back to my original sentence she has clutched at straws so bad, you can see the blood start to produce from her hands. The fact she admitted she was 17 was icing on the cake. Many of my friends brothers and sisters are that age (I myself am 25) and by speaking with them being part of the internet age, where you wildly throw out insane jibberish with little understanding of the concept, think before you speak. To augment Stevens comment its gonna take her longer than 3 years before she is at the point to logically state her opinions. Not just by some hormonal lunatic who is so hideous that all, count them all her pictures are of, you guessed it, Justin Bieber. In summation, half those pictures are him with newborn babies so you don't have to be Freud to know where thats going.

Feb 17 - 05:16 AM

Brian S.

Brian Stevens

Robert my name is Brian. You are not the counterculture. You are not a good troll. The mainstream is not the great distraction. You are cooperating with distraction. Wake up tomorrow morning and go outside. This is not a snide suggestion. It will be so you can sense that there is a world. Whether you examine beyond the dead ideas being passed hand to hand and decide that nothing matters is irrelevant. As long as you recognize that there is a world that exists beneath it all.

Lol,

Brian

Feb 18 - 06:23 PM

Nicholas S.

Nicholas Stamatovich

Objectivity? What's that?

Mar 8 - 06:10 PM

Wyat Blume

Wyat Blume

Oh no! Aparrently Justin Bieber has more talent than Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles combined!

Jun 7 - 03:25 AM

Justus Bearden

Justus Bearden

tl;dr

Dec 16 - 03:29 PM

Robert C.

Robert Cruz

Word bro, word

Apr 5 - 03:11 PM

TheDukeOfDank

Steve McQueen

Lisa B., go sit in the corner and don't come out until you're 20. Thanks.

Feb 14 - 10:47 AM

simon c.

simon compton

Lisa b you really dug yourself a hole in this one. If you look at a posts you are just a fan sticking up for your favourite artist. All the hipocritical bullshit you have been saying like ' I think it's funny when people make rough assumptions about other people without even meeting them in person' and 'What have you done with your life to make anyone feel better, to make this world somewhat of a better place? NOTHING' just shows how arrogant you are for your idol to take some criticism over his film that is clearly commercialised. Im young and i find his music alright but even I can see how this film censors the real him and is just another promotional campaign for Bieber to increase his profits

Feb 17 - 11:04 AM

Jacob W.

Jacob Weimann

Lisa B. is a *clears throat* TROOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLL

Feb 18 - 06:50 PM

twocentsj.

Jolanta Kissoon

@ Lisa B this man is a critic he actaully is right. I agree with him 100%. How about you find actual talent and tell me because JB to me sounds like a little girl in my ears trying to hit a high note when he cannot sing! No wonder why his performance on the grammies was a mess. Little Smith anyone? Seriously, now that JB has spreaded he hates us Americans and Canada is the better country I hope his album sales and movie flops even furthur and end up in drug rehab which is where most celebs end up Lindsay Lohan? So, Lisa where are you hiding these days? Are you in a closet somewhere thinking and dreaming of JB when he really is not interested in you just interested in your money? I cannot wait for this kids career to end. I will be laughing when it does he is the most insufferable artist out there and needs singing lessons. Where's Simon Cowell when you need him.

Feb 19 - 04:02 PM

twocentsj.

Jolanta Kissoon

@ Lisa B this man is a critic he actaully is right. I agree with him 100%. How about you find actual talent and tell me because JB to me sounds like a little girl in my ears trying to hit a high note when he cannot sing! No wonder why his performance on the grammies was a flop. Little Smith was better. Seriously, now that JB has spreaded he hates us Americans and Canada is the better country I hope his album sales and movie flops even furthur and end up in drug rehab which is where most celebs end up Lindsay Lohan? So, Lisa where are you hiding these days? Are you in a closet somewhere thinking and dreaming of JB when he really is not interested in you just interested in your money? I cannot wait for this kids career to end. I will be laughing when it does he is the most insufferable artist out there and needs singing lessons. Where's Simon Cowell when you need him.

Feb 19 - 04:03 PM

rorscharch

Rob Collett

@lisa b. You do realise that these film critics are reviewing THE FILM and not Justin Bieber. It doesn't matter who the subject is, it could be Bieber or it could be the Queen, but no matter who the person is if the film is average then why should it be rated fresh? I don't hate the guy with the passion, but I don't like his music. But the movie tries to make it out like he's struggled to get into the industry when he clearly hasn't. He's never done the pub circuit like so many bands trying to get signed. He put out a couple of vids on YouTube and it all went up from there. The irony is, as big as Bieber is he has very few real fans. Teenage girls are the most fleeting audience of all, they move from one thing to another. Remember when Jesse McCartney was going to be the next big thing? His fans will leave him in droves when he loses his "cute" factor and the media stops paying attention to him. Will you still go to his concerts when you're both in your forties? doubt it.

Feb 27 - 09:05 PM

Nicholas S.

Nicholas Stamatovich

Shit...Jesse McCartney...I forgot about that raging AIDS fest....I wonder what rehab clinic he's languishing in these days....

Mar 8 - 06:28 PM

Robert C.

Robert Cruz

Holy shit...before you wrote that I even forgot that kid existed

Apr 5 - 03:14 PM

Stephanie H.

Stephanie Hernandez

Children simmer down. So much love. I'm a fan of Justin :D & i loved the movie!! get some quesdillas.

Jun 5 - 06:14 PM

Justus Bearden

Justus Bearden

Must be lisas butt buddy

Dec 16 - 03:49 PM

Greg Dennis

Greg Dennis

I'm not a fan, but dang I never seen so much hate on 1 dude before. You should be a shame of yourself loki lol she is just 17 and your 22. You shouldn't argue at that level with a teenager. it's pointless. c'mon of course she's ganna defend Justin, because shes a TEENAGE GIRL and your a grown man. just a bunch of senseless bickering. lets get back to actually rating the movie and not how much hater-aid we drank okey-dokey. I personally don't even want to ever watch it

Feb 17 - 10:03 PM

Robert C.

Robert Cruz

Justin represents everything wrong with this country, he was only chosen for his looks and put no effort in and he's talentless, yet he's one of the top artists on iTunes, I don't want to live on ths planet anymore.

Apr 5 - 03:16 PM

Robert C.

Robert Cruz

Also, this is fresh when Blade, Transformers, Equilibrium and I Am Sam are all rotten?

Apr 5 - 03:17 PM

Stephen Baker

Stephen Baker

There's a reason this piece of crap has a 1.5 on IMDB..... that is all.

Apr 27 - 07:32 PM