Jaden Smith IS The Karate Kid?

He is a nine-year-old boy / Who will fight for your honor.

Sure, Jaden Smith can act -- we all saw the proof in The Pursuit of Happyness. But can he do a crane kick?

If a rumor posted at IGN Movies yesterday is accurate, we'll soon be finding out -- according to "a reliable source," Sony is prepping a Karate Kid remake, and Smith is attached to star in it. According to the source, Jerry Weintraub -- who produced the original trilogy -- is co-producing the remake with Will Smith's Overbrook Entertainment.

In a word: AWESOME. Who cares if every third movie coming out of Hollywood is a remake, and Jaden Smith is only nine years old? As long as he can do the crane kick, he's all set. Like Mr. Miyagi said, "if do right, no can defense." Make this happen, Sony! We'll be there opening night, with a big bottle of Wild Turkey and our game faces on!

Source: IGN Movies

Comments

cgcbooks

Robert Kimberlin

Who cares about this crap? I don't.

Sep 28 - 05:39 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

Oh for the love of crap.

Sep 28 - 05:39 AM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

Maybe the world will end soon and put us out of our misery.

Sep 28 - 05:47 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

why god why?! you can't remake certain movies from the 80's and it have the same appeal and impact. thats it, remake Bloodsport too. cuz that same CORNY 2ss feel is going to work nowadays...NOT. i bet they get Bernie Mac to play Miyagi(who was basically, Yoda), "listen up Amerikuh...this kid has what it takes, he's a fighta from the soooouth side of Chicaaago, he's goin' all the way!" this just sounds like a bad idea even though its obvious what the plot is going to be. inner city kid trying to stay on the right path, drugs gangs and everything else is where he's about to be headed...then shazaaaam...Mr Miyags. wha? a black kid taking karate? ensue school laughing at him, till he wins the big Karate..Cup? then its cool...to stay off drugs, and kick 2ss. yaaaay, cue credits. done...

Sep 28 - 05:57 AM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

watch out, they might actually take your advice....I'm waiting for the obligatory" I can't wait for this movie to come out" comment.

Sep 28 - 08:30 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

This is one of those few few cases in which you may be waiting a very VERY long time... then again maybe not.

Sep 28 - 10:49 AM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

Will they keep the Journey soundtrack?

Sep 28 - 08:31 AM

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

I've been saying this for months now... i'm waiting for the remake of star wars episode III. it's been a few years, time to remake it!

Sep 28 - 06:08 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

They should remake Episode I first. The puppet Yoda is a joke, when watching Episode I then II.

I hope this movie consumes mass amounts of fail.

Sep 28 - 08:28 AM

Sundaysmile03

Aqua Drakes

HAHAHAH!!!
I'm at work and I Laughed out loud when i read that.

I LOVE that movie, simply because it is bad in so many ways. Oh Hayden, so wooden so bad.
I watch it all the time.

Sep 28 - 11:34 AM

Rusty Broomhandle

Jaco Gerber

I foresee a Goonies remake on the horison.

Sep 28 - 06:10 AM

digitalsoul68

Bevan Calo

I foresee wirework for this remake.

Sep 28 - 06:25 AM

frogleg

Josh Quarles

I foresee diarrhea while watching this remake.

Sep 28 - 06:31 AM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

I hope they just start re-making every single film that was released between 1980 and 1988, in order. I hope they re-make Karate Kid then as soon as it is released they turn around and re-make it again with the same cast but all the roles are reversed. Then they can re-edit part II to have no dialog, just the Peter Cetera song blasting at top volume while the original film is played backwards at the end of which the devil will leap from the screen and end it all finally.

Sep 28 - 06:43 AM

TheBlackGuy

Arman Tanzarian

HUZZAH!

I love that kid, and I love the Karate Kid. Great news!

Sep 28 - 06:47 AM

peoplesicon8

Tayfun Berberoglu

You have got to be kiddin me!

Sep 28 - 06:48 AM

peoplesicon8

Tayfun Berberoglu

In todays world The Karate Kid would not work! Daniel son would set up for the ole crane kick and get shot in the head.

Sep 28 - 06:52 AM

jasperoosterveld

Jasper Oosterveld

hahaha i love the comments here! haha so funny!

Sep 28 - 06:59 AM

bigteddyt

Jeremy Thompson

some of the comments are quasi-comical, but you have to realize that WE'RE the reason everyone is doing remakes. If we didn't go see them, they'd stop making them. and this is a relatively cheap movie to make. they'll easily make a profit if it makes over $10 mill in the box office and then DVD/HDDVD/BluRay rentals and sales. Although i do not want to see it, it is a business and they will keep producing crap as long as it makes a buck.

Sep 28 - 07:09 AM

Brad 3000

Brad Arnold

Speak for yourself and cut that "We" crap - I don't go see these frickin' remakes, so I AM NOT responsible.

Sep 28 - 12:02 PM

jaredisme

jared burnworth

Is there anything that they won't do? Surely a "Three Men and a Baby" remake is not far away......one can only hope that doing a "Karate Kid" movie will propel Jaden to a long and successful career like Ralph Macchio.

Hey, maybe Dakota Fanning can do a remake of "The Next Karate Kid"....

Sep 28 - 07:42 AM

Nick Hershey

nick hershey

"Is there anything that they won't do? Surely a "Three Men and a Baby" remake is not far away..."

They should remake "Three Men And A Baby" in French, and call it "Three Men and A Cradle."

Sep 28 - 04:27 PM

manonfire238

Andrew McCarthy

I laugh in the face of Jaden Smith and his crane-kicking antics.

Sep 28 - 07:49 AM

manonfire238

Andrew McCarthy

Seriously, this is rubbish. RUBBISH.

Who's playing Mr Miyagi? Who COULD play Mr Miyagi? Let me guess - there is no Mr Miyagi. I'm sure Tom Hanks knows a bit of Karate - he'd be perfect for the role. Maybe they could call him Mr Mahoney.

Gaargh....

Sep 28 - 07:57 AM

Vega-Star

Jeremy Morris

ken watanabe could pull it off, with some old guy makeup. but... as much as i respect Will's kid, i just can't deal with all of them mediocre remakes of classics. If someone remakes a clockwork orange, i'll riot.

Oct 2 - 07:33 AM

Typhoon20

Tyrone Jackson

I love the kid, but enough is enough with the remakes.

Of course, I'll be watching this nonetheless.

Sep 28 - 08:06 AM

Defmonkey

Tyson Herritt

I hope this movie consumes mass amounts of fail.

Sep 28 - 08:28 AM

GoldbergsVariations

Z Gold

Sep 28 - 08:30 AM

SpikesInMySkull

G. Keith Cable

Sep 28 - 10:49 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer