70% The Maze Runner Sep 19

The Karate Kid Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 21, 2012
A fun, memorable and inspirational family film, The Karate Kid is a terrific film that will please viewers of all ages. This is a wonderful, accomplished film directed by the man who brought us the original Rocky. Avildsen's directing is effective and he knows how to craft the perfect underdog story and deliver something special on-screen. The Karate Kid is a memorable film because it has a strong message and it is inspirational because of it. The performances are great as well, and there's also comic bits thrown in t9o even out the dramatic elements of the film. This is a great film that is still worth seeing after all these years. Ralph Macchio is terrific here and Noriyuki Morita is flawless as Mister Miyagi. The film is almost perfect and it is a must see for viewers looking for a fun, dramatic family film that will certainly appeal to people of all ages. This is a near flawless film that is a good time from start to finish, and it has lot to offer despite a few lacking areas. Avoid the sequels as they try to recapture the memorable moments of this one, but ultimately fail due to poor plots, recycled material and a lack of effective acting. This is the one to watch and it is a film that has stood the test of time and is a must see if you're looking for a well crafted drama film with few moments of comic relief. Definitely a film worth checking out, and along with Rocky, this is John G. Avildsen's second best work as director.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 15, 2007
every watch solidifies my feelings for this film that im sure ive seen a dozen times. my love for elizabeth shue is part of the reason i struggle with the sequels, due to her absence. the film is more depth and less stereotypical martial arts fare. i love this film.
Tyler R

January 17, 2012
The classic story of friendship and coming of age. Karate Kid tells the story of Daniel LaRusso played by Ralph Macchio who learns karate from his elderly caretaker, Mr. Miyagi, played by the late Pat Morita. It's a simple story, but it's very enjoyable. Along the way, Daniel falls in love with a girl named Ali played by Elisabeth Shue. Her ex-boyfriend, Johnny is the guy who constanly bullies Daniel by beating the crap out of him with karate. It happens a lot and Daniel is eventually saved by Mr. Miyagi. At first glance, Miyagi may not look like a threat, but when he beats up the bullies with his karate, he doesn't just beat them up; he shows them what real karate looks like: a good form of defense rather than another weapon. Miyagi agrees to teach Daniel karate, but with different techniques. Even if you haven't seen the movie, you have to be familar with "Wax on, wax off." If you're not shutting yourself in your room with the curtains drawn playing Call of Duty all day, then you will have heard that saying at least once. Another thing is that the movie is called the Karate Kid, but not all emphasis is put on Karate. One of the things the director spends time with is building the relationship between Daniel and Miyagi. Daniel doesn't have a father and Miyagi lost a son so they fill a viod for eachother. It actually plays out perfectly. Another thing I have to mention is the main villain. Not Johnny, but his karate sensei, John Kreese. He's played by Martin Kove and he's batshit crazy in his role. He constanly uses the term "No mercy" and he gets pleasure from seeing Daniel in pain. Why? For shits and giggles I suppose. He may be over the top, but it's in a good way. He's crazy and makes Hannibal Lector look like Mr. Rogers, but he's really fun to watch. There's one scene in the movie near the end where one of Johnny's friends is yelling in the background when Daniel and Johnny are fighting. He's going crazy and yelling a bunch of stuff like "Get him a body bag!" Every single time I see it, I just laugh my ass off. It might have to do with the fact that he is probably what Kreeses might've been like as a teenager. I remember once me and one of my friends were going to watch this movie at my house and it was his first time seeing it. After the movie was over he bought "You're the best" off iTiunes and spent about an hour and a half listening to it while practicing his crane kick. No joke, he's practically in love with the movie. I can see why. It has great acting, well choreographed fight scenes, a fun story, a perfectly pitched tale of friendship and fun characters. I extremely liked Daniel in this because he's from New Jersey and he' an average kid who wants to fit in. It was refreshing to see a Jersey character whose dialogue didn't consist of stuff like this:
"Kiss my ass, fuck you! Imma go get drunk at the bar and start a fight!"
"Buy some spray on tan and steroids while you're out!"
"Fuck yeah I will. Maybe later us and the girls can have an eight-some."
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

November 13, 2011
It's a very predictable film. But it doesn't matter. Because the Karate Kid is one of the most heartwarming films ever made. With one the best screen couple's I have ever seen in the history of cinema. Its an irresistable underdog story of coming of age, love and redemption.
Alexander D

July 14, 2011
From the director of ROCKY, among other films, THE KARATE KID is one of the most memorable sports films of the 80s that I've seen. Sometimes, we have to ask ourselves if the reason this spawned so many sequels is because just this original was a one-of-a-kind martial arts flick that never comes around.
movieguru12
movieguru12

February 19, 2008
Over the last 20 years there have been a lot of great movies and there has also been some awful movies as well. But the 80s was a golden age that impressed the lives of millions. The Karate Kid was the spectacular diamond of that age. The movie starts off with Daniel Laruso (Ralph Macchio) and his mother Lucille (Randee Heller), moving from Newark to California. Then when they're moving in Daniel meets Freddy, who he thinks is his friend but later on when they're at a beach party and Daniel is beaten to death by Johnny (William Zabka) that is proven otherwise. At the beach Daniel also meets Johnny's ex-girlfriend Ali (Elisabeth Shue), a girl from Beverly Hills who Daniel falls for. Their backgrounds do clash a bit since he's from Rosita but they make it work. Daniel also befriends the handyman Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita) who becomes his best friend and teaches him karate in order for him to become champion and accomplish his dreams. Without a doubt an 80s classic! :) :) :) :) :) :)
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 20, 2011
A really good movie, but I like the updated one better, still a great movie though.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
An 80s classic, and I love it! This is a fantastic teen sports drama romance movie with a great cast and a great script. I highly recommend it.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
As a general rule, I'm not a big fan of 80s pop culture, but even then, I'll be damned if I can't find something to enjoy from it, and this is one of a few great examples. The story beats and cliches spawned by this movie didn't all originate with it, but still, this movie has an impact that still continues to this day.

As formulaic as this is, it doesn't really feel derivate and run of the mill. That's a good thing, and a sign that Rocky wasn't just a fluke for director John G. Avildsen. This is a hard film to dislike. We (most of us) know what it's like to be the underdog who can't get a break from bullies. Also, Morita is just so wonderful and memorable in a role that I think he got at least an Oscar nomination for. He brings a great mixture of warmth, compassion, wisdom, and depth that leaves you feeling happy and awestruck.

The villains are a bit hammy, but they're still pretty good. They take it serious here, which unfortunately was something that didn't carry over into the sequels.

Even though this reeks of cliches, (when viewed many years after its release) it still feels fresh and new. I definitely recommend this, as it is one of those feel good films that is inspiring and unforgettable.
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

October 7, 2010
A good film that teaches us powerful life lessons. A boy is taught karate by a the wise Mr. Miyagi that way he can kick the bully's butt in a karate tournament. The acting and story is excellent in this film. The karate fight scenes are so BA (y'all know what that stands for!). A must-see for thse suffering of low confidence and bully problems. A powerful movie like this help.

Daniel: "Hey, what kind of belt do you have?"
Miyagi: "Canvas. JC Penney, $3.98. You like?"
TheGame90
TheGame90

August 3, 2010
Hey...It's a classic...just a feel good movie
Richard C

July 21, 2010
B+
KJ P

June 11, 2010
A story of a kid moving into a new town with nothing, getting picked on and tossed around, comes a fantastically moving picture that touched me in a lot of ways. This film is a classic masterpiece and the acting is great. The leading roles all work here and they are all lovable in my heart. The Karate Kid soars with passion and with a great kung fu style. The outcome is fantastic and genuinely gripping. Wonderful!
Conner R

June 11, 2010
There won't every truly be a movie like this, it's about as close to Rocky as teen movies will ever get. With a combination of bloodthirsty villains (Cobra Kai) that only the 80s could produce and wisdom from Mr. Miyagi, you're truly in for a ride of your life. Nice guys don't come more clean cut than Ralph Macchio, he's very much the Sly Stone of teen stars. You just feel so much compassion for his character, maybe because he's such an underdog. The story itself is so powerful and uplifting that it's impossible to not fall in love with. On top of that it's beautifully shot and executed in a way that few movies at the time were. It's a fun and serious movie at the same time.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 2, 2010
"Wax on... wax off. Wax on... wax off."

A handyman/martial arts master agrees to teach a bullied boy karate and shows him that there is more to the martial art than fighting.

REVIEW
Dont know too many who hated this, the story of toothpick sized kid (Macchio) from Jersey who gets a daily beating from Valley boys after moving to California. A harmless looking handyman surprises the hell out of Macchios' tormentors one night, and one of the most memorable relationships on screen was created. Mr. Miyagi and Daniel, the older oriental and the young teenager are two of the best characters you'll ever see. Everybody will forever remember "wax on, wax off," Morita's many "Daniel-sans!," or one of the most recognizable poses ever, the Crane Technique. The climax is extremely uplifting and unless you're horribly unemotional, you'll smile everytime.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 13, 2009
I was never conviced by Ralph Macchio`s acting but this movie stole my attention because of the wise Master Pat Morita.
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
What an ace film! I totally missed it as a child and only got round to seeing it now as a 30 year old adult. I didn't think I'd like it as i only saw Ferris Bueller's Day Off (and few other 80's classics) in the last year or so and wasn't what all the fuss was about. The Karate Kid is ace and I can't wait to see the next one! Whoo Hoo! (I also now understand 'Wax on, Wax off'!)
TomBowler
TomBowler

August 2, 2009
one of the most cheesy films in the history of film and definitely one of the most remembered.
Phil H

October 29, 2007
I grew up with this, it influenced my life so much haha thinking I could do Karate, wanting to be the hero at school. Its a kids film with a punch, fantastic stuff and quite violent. It hits all thee right marks, great cast with truely annoying baddies, great fight sequences that are quite realistic for a kids film, great kick ass ending, brilliant looking, awesome 80's soundtrack and it actually taught kids real values and morals. Absolutely superb film.
MeetMeinMontauk