The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam Reviews

½ September 1, 2006
5.5/10. Not too bad, interesting for it's historical content. As a film, technically well done. I was not impressed with the acting, not that they are bad, but they should have been impressive. Also the jumping around back and forth in time gets irritating.
October 3, 2005
The Keeper: The Legend Of Omar Khayyam
Directed by: Kayvan Mashayekh
Sound: Dolby Digital
Screened at: Landmark La Jolla Village

As usual, many of you likely haven't heard of this, since it's a very small film.
First, I'll start off with the positive's,
The visual's are quite stunning, there is high production value's, and a great cast.
Now, the negative's, despite still being a very good film.
It get's a bit hamfisted and manipulative in a couple scene's, and the narrative takes time to get used to.
But it's still a very good film that I'd recommend.
8.5/10
June 13, 2013
This was okay. It felt very low budget and while not "campy", a very whitewashed (and not historically accurate) view of Omar Khayyam's life. The structuring narrative for this movie was a very understated and touching bildungsroman, though, so that's my justification for the 3rd star. Depending on time and narrative bent, I believe this had potential to be very moving. Alas.
½ March 13, 2013
Dull story of personal heritage, although with plenty of heart.
September 9, 2010
in yekam maram bara khayam gozshtam na baraye film! na dastan na kargardani ghavi bood,filmbardari va tadvin ke az kare daneshjooii ham zaeeftar bood! akharesham ke neshoon dad irania be jaye sag boz be ghalade mibandan va to kheime zendegi mikonan!!!!!
½ November 22, 2009
Dave Chappelle has said, "I wish I had more hands, so I could give this four thumbs down!" There is nothing closer to the truth after painfully watching The Keeper.
There are many people who hate islamic histories. i do too because of to much exagerations even on this one the director kayvan gives so much unnecessary information about himself as narrator evenmore he talks sometimes Farsi instead English, and we all on wacthing don't know why :S One language in one time is always better if u dONT have any reason for this. Still i like the mopvie just got some irritating details, why anglo saxons do that movie instead arabian or farsian ones even instead Turkey???

i hate other european countries do art about anything about islam because they are not good to reflect exactly.
i am sorry but i strongly hate anglo saxons as well :)))
November 16, 2008
Culturally inspiring
July 25, 2008
This was such a symbolic movie - not only did it deal with the legend, but also of how it relates to muslims today, especially in America, where they should strive to remember the roots, culture and traditions. This movie also raised the deal between fundamental and moderate islam. The really good acting, not overdone at all. And the places they showed in the movie were extremely breathtaking. Really good for a low-budget film. Omar Khayyam was really inspiring, and harrowing concerning relationship with Darya. Very recommendable.
June 5, 2008
"The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam"

I received an "evite" to attend a private (full-house) screening of "The Keeper: The Legend of Omar Khayyam" at "E" Street Cinema, Washington, DC - with Director/Producer/Writer Kayvan Mashayekh, Professor Mehdi Aminrazavi (renowned authority on Omar Khayyam) and Production/Wardrobe/Set Designer Michelle Milosh present, for a Q&A session following the screening.

The scenery/imagery and set design was fabulous, as was the plot/manner in which Kayvan Mashayekh chose to relate/present this captivating narrative. It was obvious that his intention was not to force-feed nor influence the viewing public along any single line of thought or belief, for every viewer develops their own interpretation of any audio/visual/sensory work of art.

The acting was not overdone - with subtle nuances carrying the unspoken thoughts with uncanny strength of conviction - the switching back and forth between the old (Iran) and current (Houston, London & Iran) artfully portrayed. The constant use of Farsi had a special/poignant touch to it.

It truly transcends the narrow confines of the isolationist aspect of various religious beliefs - who base their doctrines on blind faith. After all; is not the purpose of religion not universal; to find one's own path )tradional or through spiritual pursuits) to achieve a closer/deeper connection with our Creator?

The importance, value and essence in carrying on the oral traditions - keeping valued lessons of various cultures alive, is emphasised throughout - especially by those who live in the diaspora - in far off lands - whether by choice or necessity - regardless of ethnicity, religious or political beliefs.

Naturally, along with the handful of Iranians/Persians present, a few Muslim fundamentalist types were there to voice/display their ignorance; haranguing the director - trying to disrupt/sabotage the proceedings with pointed questions/jabs concerning the accuracy of his production. They felt that Kayvan Mashayekh had taken liberties - thus failing to present the "pure" Islamic view (whatever they were trying to make that out to be ...)

Since when did mainstream Islam and the fundamentalists ever give respect or credence to the various Sufi masters and their respective orders?

These critics seemed to be totally out of touch with what it means to interpret a story/history as one wishes; let alone what it takes to produce a low-budget "indie movie" such as this ... grrrrrr

Of course I stood up and posed a few comments and questions myself (without letting on about my own checkered Mussalman past ...) Besides thanking Kayvan Mashayekh - applauding him for the pace and presentation - his right in exercising poetic licence, I wanted to draw attention to and complementing him as to what a monumentous task he had succeeded in overcoming and what he had achieved - with limited financial and time contraints.

It seemed to have the desired effect upon those naysayers, for they left - slunk away without further ado. Or, was it the fact that I too, delivered my own subtle jab at them; especially when I asked Kayvan Mashayekh what response he had received from various sectors of the "so-called" Islamic public - fundamentalist vs. mainstream vs. Sufi's - over the past 25 weeks of selective screenings?

Kayvan Mashayekh responded that until "those types" (whom he gestured towards) had harangued him - just prior to my taking the floor; he had never encountered any negativity. In fact, he/the film had actually received accolades from many non-Muslims, especially a priest at a screening in Los Angeles, who broke down crying at the completion of the movie.

Apart from this, "The Keeper" has already proven to be very successful in raising considerable monies at charity screenings - aimed at serving various children's homes/centres and related services.

‚??The Keeper‚?? made its Houston premiere June 26 with a blockbuster charity bash that raised $91,000 for that city‚??s Texas Children‚??s Cancer Center, where several scenes were filmed. It opens in October on the East Coast, with its European release to be launched Nov. 6 with a charity gala in London.

I mentioned to Professor Aminrazavi about a dear friend's father Dr/Professor/Ustad Khalil Khatib-Rahbar - (a renowned Sufi scholar/writer from Kirman, Iran) being largely instrumental in helping to rekindle the Nimatullah Sufi Order - details of which Professor Mehdi Aminrazavi seemed to be familiar with; although (thanks to my ADHD) I had forgotten the names of Dr. Jarvad Nurbakhsh - the current leader of the order, along with Ali Delavar Kiraien - guardian of the Nimatullah khanaqah in Los Angeles, CA - making myself come across as a bit of an absent-minded type ... grrrrr ...

Hopefully, this work of art will make "extended rounds" throughout the US of A as well as abroad: UK, Canada, Northern Africa, Middle East, South Africa, Pakistan and India.

sharif shah-bilal
May 22, 2008
a young persian boy growing up in america discovers and lives up to his glorius heritage as a descendant of Omar Khayyam. A beautiful story about beautiful people.
iLeo
Directed by: Kayvan Mashayekh
Sound: Dolby Digital
Screened at: Landmark La Jolla Village

First, I'll start off with the positive's,
Now, the negative's, despite still being a very good film.
But it's still a very good film that I'd recommend.
8.5/10