• R, 1 hr. 43 min.

Keeping Mum Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 22, 2008
i love this movie, i find it so funny and its the best british comedy of the year!!
i love the cast and i love the story its thoroughly entertaining!!
Maggie smith plays a murderer who has gotten out of prison/mental facility and has come to visit her daughter but without literally telling her daughter so shes come as a guest to look after the children!
its a really good movie and is completely worth the watch!!
Anthony L

October 2, 2009
I liked this film although I'm not sure it knows what it wants to be. It's both predictable and unpredictable and more dark than it is funny. Maybe I was lead astray by the poster and the choice of actors. It was refreshing in its unpredictable moments but I felt there was very little pay off at the end. I found the last 'Twist' in the story line a bit lazy, a bit too dark and ultimately disappointing. Highlights were the script, direction and Liz & Maggie Smith.
deano
deano

April 1, 2007
Highly entertaining, good British black comedy. Rowan Atkinson, Maggie Smith, Kirstin Scott Thomas and the rest of the cast are perfect. This is the most understated I have ever seen Atkinson, and marks an interesting evolution for him. Smith is absolutely superb as the straight actress playing the clowning criminal.
Red L

February 2, 2008
British black comedy. Funny seeing Rowan Atkinson in a non-Mr. Bean character. I watched this film a second time and quite enjoyed it. I don't know if I caught the very last scene under the duck pond the first time I saw it.
Jens S

October 15, 2006
This dark humored British comedy about a murdering, kind hearted housekeeper lady lives off its really convincing cast. Especially Patrick Swayze as sleazy golf teacher proves once again that he is not taking himself too seriously. The script successfully balances between rural family comedy and the really black humored murders without scaring anyone off. That's typically British in each and every regard but could have used a little more bite, after all. As it is, the movie is never boring and rather likable. It just doesn't really excite you or make you piss yourself with laughter. Decent, but probably easily forgotten.
Lanning :

June 18, 2008
Broccolli . . . Just watched this darkly clever twist on the Mary Poppins story twice, and I've plenty to say, in no particular rank order. 1. Kristin Scott-Thomas fans will not want to miss this; it's some of her best work ever. 2. I got into an extended discussion last week with some friends about Rowan Atkinson. I was actively recruiting potential viewers for one of my newly discovered favorites, Mr. Bean's Holiday -- I found I was not exactly preaching to the choir. We agreed on one thing, however, I think: Atkinson, especially as the Bean character, may finally be an acquired taste. I must say that seeing him play the straight man in this movie is quite a different experience than seeing him play the "straight man" as Bean. This character is a little more of this world, if you know what I mean. Thinking about him way back in the Black Adder BBC series days, I remember that there were times, especially toward the end of the series, where he played a character who was more couched in the dramatic than in the comic arena. There are times in this movie even, as when he gives his speech to the convention of ministers, that the tone shifts decidedly from comic to dramatic. I would love, if it exists, to see Atkinson in a pure dramatic role. Know of any? Please suggest one. If no such film does in fact exist, then I would love for him to do one. He really is a consummate actor. Flixsters, it takes a lot for me to put a living actor on my all-time favorite list, but I'm going to do it with Atkinson -- on faith. What a talent. 3. And since I'm doing it with Atkinson, I must say that I'm going to take the plunge and put Maggie Smith on that list as well. Over the past few years I've become so used to seeing her in the Harry Potter movies that it's almost Twilight Zone strange to see her in anything else. Seeing her here, I'm reminded of how great she is and how she has proved her amazing ability and range time and again over the years.If you're at all drawn to British humor or to dark comedy in general, this one may be a good choice. There are no fireworks, but there is plenty of just plain great actor-to-actor interaction amidst the mayhem.
Alexander W

January 18, 2008
Well if you want to watch this film then you will enjoy it, its humourus and just a bit dull. Then how about watching a chapter a day?
SilentWarProductions2009
June 1, 2007
Directed by: Niall Johnson.
Starring: Maggie Smith, Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas, Patrick Swayze.

As always, British comedy shines through as one of the best you can get and this film does what any British comedy does best and that is to draw you into its world and its characters and make you laugh endlessly.

The story follows a small family in a small town who all have there own little problems, until one day, a very quirky, charming and very mysterious women turns up and changes there lives forever. Theres more to it than that but I won't ruin it for you. Crafty plotting, brilliant humour and sharp dialogue, it focuses on the characteristics of these charming characters and draws its humour from that. Maggie Smith is very much the highlight of this film, in a very different role but one of her best in many years, quirky, funny and charming, a very powerful actress in any role she tackles.

This film is extremely overlooked and it shouldn't be, it is British comedy at its best in years, charming, funny, quirky, mysterious, thrilling and with a twist that came as one hell of a surprise to me, it needs to be seen.
Dean !

March 7, 2007
A pretty good, quirky, dark humoured UK film. The main leads all do well and there are some funny scenes. Maybe not to all tastes though.
Dean L

July 19, 2007
I rather liked this movie. Believe it or not, Rowan Atkinson...was not annoying in this movie! I swear! It's true. You see where the movie is going pretty much at every turn, but it is a fun ride getting there. Enjoy.
Drew S

April 5, 2007
A rather bizarre movie with some definite strengths, but a mess of weaknesses on all fronts keeps it from becoming really "good." The movie isn't particularly funny, opting for a more wryly amusing style of black humor; since that's a stylistic choice, consider that a warning.

My problem was with Maggie Smith's character. Of course, Maggie Smith does an amazing job with her performance, and without her this film would be ranked about half as high as it is. However, despite her portrayal, she's really difficult to like as the movie wants you to. Quite simply, someone who commits some of the acts she does just doesn't deserve sympathy. At first I didn't mind her, but one of her actions at the hour mark really colored her as unlikeable. It changed the tone of the film a lot for me.

I mean, the film isn't meant to be entirely realistic, but the movie doesn't do the best job putting a humorous face on some of the murders going on here. I guess we're meant to find Maggie Smith's bloodthirst "cute" since it's an old lady at the helm, but it just didn't click for me.

The ending also makes the film seem a little pointless. Well, I guess these characters haven't learned as much as it seems!

Overall, the film is hampered not by what it does wrong, but just by what it doesn't do. There are some really funny moments here, to be sure, but it's an average film on the whole.
Jose Z

September 9, 2006
nice film, altough it a different kind of humor I usually watch, it has its very good moments of comedy that i like. it is not a very well known cast except for Rowan atkinson that really surprised me because this role was a whole different thing than its past jobs, finally he puts an end to that Mr. Bean character
Mark A

June 1, 2010
A macabre tale of a family in trouble that gets an assist from an unlikely source: their newly hired, crazy as a loon, housekeeper, played with a devilish twinkle by the incomparable Maggie Smith. Rowan Atkinson, Kristin Scott Thomas. and Patrick Swayze each are perfectly cast and kept the chuckles coming. Emilia Fox was gorgeous as the good reverend's daughter. The story held few surprises and stretched the boundaries of believability, but was very entertaining in spite of that. It was just plain fun to watch the body count rise, and to wonder who would be next. Devilishly good fun!
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

October 1, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Keeping Mum" starts out with Rosemary Jones(Emilia Fox), young and pregnant, traveling by train when a conductor notices blood leaking from her trunk. It turns out that it is because of the dismembered bodies of her husband and his mistress. She is found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to prison.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Flash forward forty-three years to the village of Little Wallop(pop. 57) where Gloria Goodfellow(Kristin Scott Thomas) is deeply dissatisfied with being the wife of the vicar, Walter(Rowan Atkinson), and is having an affair with a golf pro(Patrick Swayze). To make matters worse, her son, Petey(Toby Parkes), is regularly harrassed by the local bullies association while her daughter, Holly(Tamsin Egerton), seems intent to have sex with every young man for miles around.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Enter their new housekeeper, Grace Hawkins(Maggie Smith).[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Keeping Mum" is a very predictable and old-fashioned black comedy about family that does have its share of funny moments. It is partially redeemed by a very good ending. And Maggie Smith is simply wonderful.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]Note: Rowan Atkinson also played a member of the clergy in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" which also featured Kristin Scott Thomas.[/font]
Blaster1618
Blaster1618

September 11, 2010
stars Kristen Scott Thomas is the pivotal element of this dark comedy. In concert with Thomas crisis each of the other family members is having there own issues. Enter Maggie Smith is the sweet elderly Nanny, except she really Thomas? long lost mother. Long lost because she?s spent most of her life in a mental hospital for murder. Thomas is having a midlife crisis and an affair with Patrick Swaze. Swaze is an American tennis instructor who sticks out in very British comedy. In concert with Thomas crisis the rest of the family is also in crisis. Rowan Atkins is a too soft spoken Vicker. Thomas? daughter is a nymphomaniac and there son is a wimp troubled by bullies at school. Maggie Smith resolves the family via quiet conversations or just eliminating any threat to her newly re-found family?s happiness.
John2223
John2223

October 24, 2007
"Keeping Mom" is one of those movies that leave the audience with a smile on their faces and in a good mood. Though I was able to predict the overall plot, the story is entertaining and there is a gentle message about marital problems, the generation gap and hypocrisy.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
I really liked it. Maggie Smith gets out of jail and helps bring a family closer together.
weelee18
weelee18

October 23, 2008
funny film. maggie smith is great in this..