Kelly's Heroes Reviews

½ October 2, 2007
Notice a marked similarity between the story in this film and the setting for Three Kings, which took the story and turned it in a different, more serious direction.
½ September 11, 2015
I would consider this a spoof which could have been titled "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad War".
½ September 5, 2015
A forgotten war buddies movie that has a lot of A list stars checking their egos at the door for the good of this fun watch movie.
June 6, 2015
Popcorn war film is short on the "Saving Private Ryan" horrors of war, but is long on comedy, action and excitement. Clint Eastwood leads a rag tag squadron of soldiers in the waining days of WWII on a mission to steal some German gold. When your squad includes the likes of Don Rickles, Donald Sutherland, Gavin MacLeod and Harry Dean Stanton, you know it's not your typical band of brothers. It's a completely lightweight film, but incredibly entertaining. Directed by Brian G. Hutton, who'd previously directed Clint in the rally exciting, though much more serious, "Where Eagles Dare," has a good ear for comedy and has a firm grasp for how to handle action. Telly Savalas, Carroll O'Connor and Perry Lopez also appear in the film and Lalo Schifrin provides a good score. "All Quiet on the Western Front" it is not, but it's a pretty unique mixture of humor and tough war action.
December 29, 2006
Great war classic with many famous actors. Fun aswell.
November 18, 2014
Kelly's Heroes is a really entertaining film courtesy of its lively and at times very entertainingly well told story which reminds me of the George Clooney film Three Kings
October 3, 2013
Best war comedy ever!
May 19, 2009
Not bad not bad at all.
November 10, 2014
this movie is amazing!!!!
½ May 29, 2007
Guy's Film
This is my favorite Clint Eastwood movie. It's a World War II comedy/adventure movie. It's set in the weeks after the liberation of Paris in 1944. A squad of soldiers in a fictional National Guard unit has been deployed in a rural section of northern France. Every time they are about to enter a large city, regular Army troops are allowed to bypass them and enjoy the soft beds and clean showers. They are unhappy and loosing moral. Their unofficial leader is Clint Eastwood who plays a former lieutenant who has been demoted after leading a suicide attack against a hill in the weeks after D-Day. He was blamed for the excessive casualties even though he was just following orders. Telly Savalas plays the squad's sergeant. During a German attack Clint Eastwood's character "Kelly" captures a German officer carrying two bars of gold. From the German he learns that there is a large stash of Nazi gold in a bank behind enemy lines. Kelly convinces the squad to go with him to steal the gold before the Germans can move it. He then recruits a greedy supply sergeant played by Don Rickles. This is one of the funniest roles Don Rickles ever played. Donald Sutherland plays a hippie tank commander who has been separated from his unit. I doubt there were any hippie tank commanders in WW2 but I've been told that there were a lot of tank commanders just like the Donald Sutherland character in Vietnam. Remember that this movie was made during the Vietnam War. Donald Sutherland's character is called "Oddball" and asks to go along with his three tanks. Oddball has some of the funniest lines in the movie. Example, "I don't know what makes them work, I just ride in them". Or, "Don't make with the negative waves". At the end of the movie is a face off with the German tank commander that's done just like one of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns. In addition to the good story, funny lines, and exiting action the theme song is a catchy tune that actually made the pop charts in the early 1970's. This is basically a guy's movie. There are no women characters. Rent this movie to watch with your buddies.
November 22, 2011
About as much fun as you can have watching war movie. I guess it also being a good heist movie helps in that regard. Donald Sutherland's hippie Oddball feels a little out of place in WWII, but the rest of the cast work wonderfully together. The battle scenes are also well done.
April 1, 2014
Despite a slow start, this early 70s ancestor to The A-Team is a fun, tongue in cheek WW2 romp. Hefty, explosion stuffed setpieces combine with a top notch cast to produce a good time, especially a hilariously lax Sutherland as a tank driving, pre-hippie hippie.
February 28, 2014
One of my all time favourite movies that I can watch over and over again. Yes, it's blatantly about the Vietnam conflict thinly veiled in a WW2 suit but, for me, it's the characters and the actors that portray them that puts this war/caper film up there with the best of them
½ March 23, 2012
A great war comedy slash western (heck, it even has a showdown scene, a not-so-subtle nod at Clint Eastwood's more famous roles), and DAMN, what a cast!
December 27, 2013
Maybe on of the greatest movies of all time that I have only just got around to seeing.
So far I have watched it three times this week.
It's that good, no, really it is.

Sutherland's character "Oddball" sat uncomfortably well next to the stern attitudes of other screen greats Savalis and Eastwood.

some of the expressions on Eastwood's face when dealing with Sutherland almost made me piss the sofa.
½ November 16, 2013
Its forgettable but this movie still holds up very well today
November 11, 2013
better than it has to be.