Keulraesik (The Classic) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Keulraesik (The Classic) Reviews

ajaymuthecooldevils
May 9, 2008
Can't say how I love this movie... First thing, this movie has been recommended to me since I'm looking for a movie with Son Ye-jin inside... And after what I saw for about 2 hours long, it was amazing!! Son Ye-jin satisfied me with her performance as Ji-hae and her mother Jo-hee... Yet, the performance by Cho Seung-woo and Jo In-seong was nice... And the most important thing is the story, it is flowing slowly but not boring.. Yet the ending they gave is the best! I couldn't hope more than that.. And the soundtrack is amazing too, love it!!
½ February 14, 2009
Kwak's films are always rather sappy, but at the same time can be very romantic. The Classic is a more serious companion to My Sassy Girl and both deal with similar issues, with love and loss etc. being right up there. The acting is good and the humorous scenes are used sparingly. The relationships are all well developed upon, even the ones that should jeopardise the plight of our protagonists. The ending is excellent but is ruined by a rather loud and obvious attempt to cause mass crying. For most of the film it has an excellent soundtrack to back it up. The Classic has some great romantic moments, but is also tragic on purpose, since it becomes obvious that the characters are the cause of most of their own trouble.
July 10, 2009
Although many had expected this movie to be a sequel, or even a prequel to My Sassy Girl, there is no real connection between the movie besides the fact that it was directed by the same people, Jae-young Kwak. Jae-young Kwak's The Classic is actually the opposite of My Sassy Girl, whereas My Sassy Girl was a light-hearted comedy based on a couple's unusual meeting and eventual romance, The Classic is more of a melodrama, depicting the relationship between Jun-ho and Ju-hie in parallel to the current relationship between Ji-hae and Sang-min. However, with a link between the two couples from both the past and the present by means of letters written to Ji-hae's mom, viewers are able unravel the connection, as the characters are oblivious. Filmed in various locations reminiscent to Korea in the past, Jae-young Kwak captures not only the innocence of love between the pair of lovers from the past and the present, but manages to depict the social influences on the characters as well.
½ March 22, 2008
Great romance. See it before Hollywood remakes it.
August 17, 2013
Like so many Korean films from the early 2000s, it tends to overstay its welcome by about 30 minutes and layer on a few too many layers of overwrought melodrama but the acting and story are tremendously effective, the emotional beats well-executed, and the humor broad enough to be widely appealing. Definitely a great date movie for American fans of Korean cinema. Keep the tissues on hand for your loved one...or for yourself.
November 11, 2011
Though it is very much a melodramatic romance, like most Korean films in the romance genre, this movie is great. The connections between each character is remarkable and I absolutely loved the twist that I didn't see for a second coming. Mixed with the usual Korean themes of love, loss, and reborn love, this movie is great :). It made me cry a lot at the end. The relationships are developed very well and each character is very quirky. Ye-jin Son probably had my favorite preformance overall :D.
January 22, 2011
Great movie! I cried almost the whole time, but what did I expect from a Korean drama? The Korean guys are good-looking and good-natured. The main characters are likable and I loved the ending. Lots of romance and lots of heartache. Oh yah, don't watch this when you're PMSing! :)
½ August 5, 2007
1 of the beeeeeeeeeeest azn movie!! Very touching w/ great performances! Beautiful beautiful story and photography!!
June 2, 2009
Son Ye-jin is as captivating as ever. Two stories are told in an interesting parallel fashion, and they converge in a heartfelt way.
July 14, 2008
Dirigida por Jae-young Kwak, (el mismo director de My Sassy Girl), nos muestra "otra" historia de amor muy trágica etc..., ésta trata de dos romances contados intercaladamente, uno en el presente de Ji-hae con un tipo que sale con su amiga, y otro que ocurrió en el pasado, sobre la madre de Ji-hae.

No me gustó el larguísimo final que tiene, que por otra parte ya me lo esperaba hace rato. Sin embargo, el resto de la película estuvo bueno sobre todo la historia de la mamá.
½ February 14, 2008
From the director of MY SASSY GIRL, but it's clear that he didn't really find his voice until after this. This is about as pedestrian a K-Drama movie as there is.
February 4, 2008
Great touching romance. Capable of pulling tears and cracking smiles. It's a good film - the only gripe could be that it is a little long, but what Kwak Jae Young film isn't?
½ January 30, 2008
i like movies that are deep and heart-wrenching... movies that makes you cry and hiccup to death...hahahaha...
highly recommend it.
½ January 13, 2008
Stellar performances from the cast in one of the most romantically tragic stories ever put to screen. Nothing hurts quite like a good Korean melodrama. Shy of a 5 star rating perhaps only due to the level of tragedy finally reaching a degree that one cannot allow oneself to be truly swept up in the fiction in the name of self-preservation. *spoiler* The "happy ending" is more a bittersweet consolation prize than hopeful.
½ January 14, 2008
Moving and tragic, it's amazing that one movie can hurt this much.

Despite what it may appear on the cover, this is not a chick flick, rather for masochists only.

What can I say? I like pain.
September 11, 2015
My favorite Korean film
June 3, 2014
Ever fall in love with a movie & you just want to keep watching it over & over? That's this movie. Two very sweet love stories that don't end the way you expect them to.
½ April 23, 2014
a movie interesting for those who want a little love-friendship-family melodrama..appreciate the work done by the actress and not to forget both the actors
½ March 27, 2014
Sensational and flirtatious bait into Korean love stories. Lots of tension and conservative love gestures presented under the radar leave you itching for more.
½ January 1, 2014
I endured this movie as "I Saw a The a Devil" is more my kind of movie.