Kicking the Dog - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kicking the Dog Reviews

December 24, 2011
This movie was just horrible. There was no redeeming qualities it was all pretty bad acting and horrible jokes.
½ December 17, 2011
Funny. Funny. Funny. Throw in a couple "touching" moments that display the lead actresses talents and you have a movie that goes in a different direction than you initially think.

It borders on immaturity - and some people may incorrectly think it's immature. I think it's the exact opposite - I think it's some of the most intelligent sex humor I've ever heard. The topics may be immature in nature, but absolutely not the way they're handled by the writer or actors. Some is tongue-in-cheek, but that's because the characters are embellishing the story to make it better - like real life. You're gonna wish they would have used a few more locations - or even ventured outside the house more often - but that's being nit-picky. The humor and originality of a worn-out-genre will keep you interested and laughing and quoting the movie. But you're gonna have to make your friends watch it otherwise they're not going to understand what you mean when you say "You're not so little after all" or "this side never touched my wiener" or "she's husky - oh yeah!"
½ October 30, 2009
Very funny, if not occassionally crude and immature. But that's what makes it so real and often hilarious. On par with American Pie, and much, MUCH better than the recent straight to DVD remakes.
½ October 28, 2009
What makes this movie so appealing? Almost always funny, at times hilarious, and throw in a few tender moments and very real arguments, and you have a movie you want to watch again.

The box cover does not do this movie justice. It's not a party movie, as much as a movie about good friends hanging out, getting drunk, telling stories and trying to meet new girls. It's NOT American Pie 5, or Van Wilder 3. It's infinitely better than those movies which really on the "name" to sell copies. This movie is real and unique and hilarious.
August 24, 2009
Imagine if Superbad had more characters, but all the action basically took place in and around one house - that's Kicking The Dog. It has some cool characters and a few dorks, who are cool because they don't know they're not. It combines a very attractive cast, with some young, funny, chubby guys. Memorable scenes and great quotes. Simpl story, but you won't care - it's more about the footjobs, sex and booze.
August 13, 2009
It's not Kevin Smith and it's not American Pie. It's funny because the conversations are real. This is also what makes it unique. American Pie was hilarious, but it was a sensationalized view of trying to meet girls. Kicking The Dog tackles this genre because real is funny. If you don't get it, it's because you never lived it.
May 2, 2009
This movie honestly wasn't that great. It was loaded with waaay over the top sexual humor. The only good thing about this movie was Satchem and Julie's determination to compromise each others dreams to be together. Other than that, it wasn't even funny.
April 22, 2009
This movie was HORRIBLE. Despite some great boobage and attractive ladies, the movie had nothing going for it. The language was completely un-necessary and the plot was only active in a few scenes.
April 19, 2009
Often crude, but it does have a certain charm about it. The acting ranges from poor to decent. Cheap production look to it. It's a bit talky.
½ November 25, 2012
A bit breasts and funny remarks, that is all this can muster up to, not really a great film at all.
December 24, 2011
½ December 17, 2011

August 18, 2011
Nothing special but not terrible. The conversations were interesting and funny.
½ February 17, 2010
The DVD case is intentionally misleading. Writer/director Scoot Lammey's Kicking the Dog tries to play itself off as some sort of off-beat coming of age farce. But neither of the amazed dudes standing on the lawn are actually in the film. Nor is the dog with a deflated football on its head, or the girl, or the keg. Then there's the tagline: "Twelve friends... one unforgettable summer!"

In reality, the movie is a lot more depressing than that. A group of people sit around in a house drinking beer and talking with one another about their sexual histories. I don't know whether we're supposed to sympathize with main characters Matt or Satchem, as they both come off as huge jackasses. The two are best buddies, and so they have a huge canon of embarrassing sex stories to tell in front of their girlfriends. Well, to be fair, Matt doesn't have a girlfriend - mostly because he refuses the inexplicable advances of one of the group, aside from letting her give him oral sex real quick. Satchem, on the other hand, has a long-term girlfriend and the movie tries to make him a sympathetic character by showing him making a difficult decision between accepting a job offer out-of-state and staying in town with his girlfriend. But this really isn't enough to make him anywhere near likable, as he has no qualms relating disgusting stories about the girls he's slept with in the past. When his girlfriend gets mad, Satchem whines, "I like you because I can be myself around you!"

You could be forgiven for thinking writer/director Scoot Lammey an irredeemable misogynist. He is. In an interview with, I don't know, himself?, Lammey explains how he came up with the title of the film. Hanging out at a party during his school days at Virginia Tech, he philosophized on the virtues of beating one's girlfriend: "I would never lay a hand on my girlfriend, but a wife, I think she's actually considered a man's property in this state. Keeping the wife in line is just like kicking the dog." Hilarious, no?

As the movie spins its disturbing web, please keep in mind that the movie is "basically" recounting Lammey's own exploits. Of course, a few minor changes have been made. For instance, in the scene where a girl tells the story of using mayonnaise as a lubricant while having anal sex... well, Scoot was just being modest! In reality, he used ranch dressing! Lammey had a difficult time casting the women in the film, not because nobody wanted to be involved in this travesty, but because he was getting too many ugly chicks wanting to audition. Scoot explains: "They just waste yours and their own time. I wanted to tell them that they would be perfect if I was casting the chubby friend, or a whore, but I'd never end up calling them for those roles because their head shots are too misleading!"

But it's not just women that the director demeans - he takes pride in exploiting his parents. The movie was filmed in his parents' house, but they were not allowed to know anything about the film until the premiere, when they witnessed along with 200+ other people the horror. A "foot-job" (it's exactly what it sounds like) being performed in their own bedroom, a man peeing on a window screen, a disgusting scene wherein Matt and Satchem share a condom (by turning it inside out so their weiners don't touch the same place!), and so on.

To be honest, there's more entertainment value in the writer/director himself than in the film, which goes nowhere and does nothing. Lammey claims to have made the film on a $72,000 budget, but I'm unsure where that money went. Most of it probably went to the film stock - it was shot on 16mm film for no particular reason other than to waste money. And I guess a lot of the money probably went to the beer. Real beer was used in every drinking scene to add, I dunno, authenticity? I don't know whether you should really be worrying about authenticity when you've written a scene into your movie where one of your creepy main characters literally pleads with a girl to let him poke her breast for what seems like an eternity. It's like only watching the disturbing Joe Francis parts of a Girls Gone Wild video where he's trying to get the girls to take off their clothes. It's just perpetually uncomfortable.

Kicking the Dog is terrible. It's terrible. But it was also hilarious in how seemingly unreal the characters are, how unreal their situations are, and how unreal Scoot Lammey is. He is currently working on - I kid you not - "a period piece about hanging out". This is a filmmaker to keep an eye on, for sure. He's got nowhere to go but up.
½ October 30, 2009
½ October 28, 2009

½ October 15, 2009
kicking the dog or throwing your lunch up? seriously sounded a good movie, but a very lame attempt at a porky's sequel. don't waste your time with this movie, there are certainly better comedies around at the moment.
½ June 10, 2009
I actually really enjoyed this movie, good dialogue, well acted.
½ September 29, 2009
okay movie. some funni parts.