Kids in the Hall 'Brain Candy' Reviews

September 1, 2014
Brain Candy is a fine vehicle for Kids in the Hall's varied playful talents.
½ July 29, 2014
I am no fan of kids in the hall, i have seen bits of the show here and there, so i was surprised when i found this movie very funny. A dirty random sense of humor with a little social commentary and some good characters, what more do you want. Its got a better plot then most comedies these days that just revolve around weddings.
March 16, 2014
This movie is brilliant ...
Dark humor and a smart edge make it almost hurt to laugh.
January 27, 2014
Great movie from my Canadian friends at Kids in the Hall.
½ November 5, 2013
Kids in the Hall: Brain Candy is the first film of the Canadian comedy troupe Kids in the hall, and it is a very funny film. I'm a huge fan of KITH and their show was the finest sketch comedy TV show that I have ever seen. How does the troupe transcends to the big screen? Well, it's not a perfect film, but the Kids in the Hall manage to keep their eccentric brand of humor in the film, which in turn makes for an entertaining film to watch for fans of the show. Brain Candy is not a comedy for everyone as it will most certainly alienate viewers. The cast here is great and the storyline is terrific for what they try to accomplish. Brain Candy is entertaining and will definitely appeal to KITH fans, but to those not familiar with the troupe, they want to pass it up as they won't find it funny. As a diehard fan of KITH and the show, I thought this was a well crafted comedy that had the traditional elements that you'd come to expect from the Kids. At times, the film could have been reworked to make it a highly memorable film, but as it is, it's funny, but it of course leaves room for improvement. I felt that Show was much better, and that the troupe put more effort into their skits than on this film. I'm not saying the film is bad, I'm just saying there is room for improvement. For what it is, it's a fun comedy worth seeing if you're a fan of the KITH, but like I said, you may want to skip it, if you're not familiar with their work. Anyone looking for a final glimpse of the troupe may want to check this one out, as their later work, would depart from what they previously did on the show and in this film.
October 20, 2013
Great, intelligent movie dealing with depression, the superficiality of media, the greed and power of corporations, the artificiality of people, the importance of both happiness and sadness in life and how depressing life really is. I am a giant Kids in the Hall fan so I was very excited to watch this movie, even knowing how badly it did when it came out. At first I wasn't sure what to think as there weren't nearly as many jokes and gags as there would be in the show in the opening scenes, but I think they decided to aim for a more serious, dark, intellectual, opinionated movie and they succeeded. It's kind of gritty for a KITH project, but it's a unique way to look at the group and I think it added something interesting to the movie.

My favourite character was definitely Mark McKinney as Don with his uncanny Lorne Michaels impersonation. So many things discussed in this movie are so depressingly true that instead of laughing you almost cringe a bit, like the talk show where they interview the scientist Chris Cooper and all they care about are superficial things like his resemblance to Tom Jones. Towards the end there are more funny scenes (like Don and Chris' ridiculous fight in the hallway full of coma victims).

Even with the darker approach they seemed to be going for, I think it would have been safe to add more of the Kids in the Hall jokes they are known for. All the same it was a very thought-provoking and humorous movie and the critics who didn't like it are wrong. There, I said it.
½ June 24, 2013
Such an odd movie, such an odd comedy group. Not bad but very weird indeed
July 6, 2007
The Kids in the Hall was often a very funny show. The feature film just didn't work.
December 31, 2012
Could be a sleeper as one of the most important movies of all time.
Comedy is an amazing communication device, and The Kids in the Hall once again play multiple roles in analyizing the meaning of life as they see it.
Whether it be the fountain of youth or the last aquisition before finally being sated in life, The Kids awaken to their own realization of what makes a pusuit of happiness.
December 20, 2012
I loved the TV series, but, oddly, I haven't seen this it any good?
December 11, 2012
It's a drug that gives worms to ex-girlfriends.
½ October 7, 2012
Critics are wrong again. If you like ANYTHING The Kids in the Hall did, you will like this, ya prick. (I know who I stole that last part from).

I think I'll get this on Blu-Ray.
August 21, 2011
Sometimes hysterical characters, some eminently quotable dialogue, and many times better than any SNL feature.
½ June 13, 2012
No. Bad critics. No no no. This film is enjoyable and interesting. It is understandable that the show is reasonably better than this film, but stand alone the humor remains intact and the acting is superb. Those naysayers can take a chill pill and give this film another chance. There is so much brilliance in the subtle moments and the cinematography is a step above that of the show.
½ April 3, 2008
Very funny and enjoyable! a must-see for any comedy troupe fans(like monty python, snl)! if you do not like this movie, get yourself the magic pill from the movie to get you in a coma because you are depressed!
April 19, 2012
I dont care to watch.
April 7, 2012
Pretty decent. There were some laugh out loud moments, but nothing really stands out as worthy of highlighting except Mark McKinney's Lorne Michaels impression. "My empire is crumbling!!!"
March 10, 2012
A hilarious if severely uneven piece of work, Brain Candy has notable characters and endless quotes worth spouting out to the frat house.
November 22, 2011
Kids in the Hall are spot-on, but if you are interested in them do not start with this film.
½ November 11, 2011
This isn't even anything.