Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 Reviews

RJ Smoove
½ April 4, 2010
Quentin Tarantino has made some extraordinary shit, but Kill Bill takes the cake. I have always admired his ability to try new original concepts, and ultimately succeed. He is truly unlike any other film maker in the business today. If I had to sum up Kill Bill with one word, I'd say "Wow." The first volume is easily my favorite, but the second is amazing as well. The two volumes have different feels in my opinion. The first is more gorishly artistic, with blood splatter left and right. But the second is more dramatic, filling in the narrative where the first left it blank. But that's exactly why there are two volumes (besides the length of the film, if they had been combined). And if both were the same thing, we would probably have complained. But on the other hand, if both were as viscerally satisfying as the first, we might not.

I love every Tarantino film that I have seen. Pulp Fiction used to be my favorite of his, then I watched Reservoir Dogs, and watched Reservoir Dogs again, about two more times to get the specifics. That became my favorite of his. Then I saw Inlourious Basterds, and waited for the dvd to see it again (once again, to get the specifics). That one almost became my favorite. Now that I have seen this masterpiece, I do not know which of his movies I like the best. My point is that Quentin Tarantino is one of the most consistent director and writers doing it today. He may not be able to make a bad movie. How he manages to make classics in every different genre is far beyond my comprehension. He is simply a genius. But back to the subject at hand, Kill Bill (volumes one and two combined). Like I said before, this movie is a masterpiece.

Uma Thurman owned this film, in every sense. She gave probably the best performance out of every single Quentin Tarantino film, obviously besides last year's Supporting Actor winner (Christoph Waltz), and my personal favorite, Samuel L. Jackson as Jules in Pulp Fiction. Her energy completely lunged off of the screen. But she was not the only strong link in this chain. David Carradine was fantastic as well. I hated him, then I actually liked him, then I hated him again. Not to mention all the members of the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad. Lucy Lui was the best, in my opinion. She earned herself a spot on my "My Favorite Villains" list, with her performance as O-Ren Ishii/Cottonmouth. I won't spoil anything, but when she proved her authority to that Yakuza boss that questioned her multiple ethnicities, I may have jizzed in my pants. The other members are worth a mention too.

Vivica A. Fox had a very short role, as Vernita Green. She was great, but her role was too short for her to make too much of a lasting impact on me. Daryl Hannah was also great as Elle Driver, the eye patch sporting assassin. Finally, I'm not quite sure if he was a member of the squad, but Michael Madsen did a phenomenal job as Bill's brother, Budd. Besides them, there is a long list of names I do not know, but I do know that no one did a poor job in either volumes of this move. They were all amazing. One thing, besides the actors, that I want to point out is a small segment in the first volume that features an anime-esque cartoon scene, illustrating O-Ren Ishii's life as she grew up. Before I saw it, I kept thinking to myself that this should be a graphic novel. Then after I saw that cartoon, I felt it even more. So in case you haven't realized, Kill Bill is brilliantly done, and everyone should she it. Not volume one, or volume two, both.
December 29, 2009
Now people who read my reviews or just know me personally know that I have a love for Tarantino movies, so maybe i'm a little biased, but to call this a non-enjoyable movie is just pure craziness in my eyes.

Kill Bill(as a whole)would probably be my overall 3rd favorite Tarantino movie, these movies are great to watch back-to-back the way they were originally made. This movie is Tarantino's shrine to old-school kung fu movies with a little of every other genre thrown in, naturally just like any other movie Quentin creates.

Overall what makes this movie so great besides the awesome revenge story, is all of the great characters in this movie portrayed by some great actors. I will confess that i'm really not the biggest fan of the late David Carradine, but he's really good in this movie.

The other two supporting characters that really shine in my eyes are Michael Madsen and Daryl Hannah, who are the two main antagonist of the 2nd part of this movie.

But of course Uma Thurman is the soul of this movie, portraying Beatrix Kiddo aka the Bride. Uma and Quentin create probably one of the greatest kick-butt female protagonist only second to maybe Ellen Ripley.

Usually when I hear the reasons that some people don't like this movie like "It's to way over the top." or the one I hear the most "I think it's dumb, that their blood sprays out like a sprinkler." No joke i've heard the later like a million times as the sole reason for someone not liking this movie.

But everyone does have there own taste, so i'm not going to sit here and discriminate the people that don't like this movie. But it's one of my all time favorites and I will continue to watch this movie many times throughout the years.

I give it a 9.6/10

P.S. I know that i've been doing a lot of positive reviews lately, but I can't help it, I don't like to bash movies unless I just absolutely loathe it.
June 2, 2010
this is a great movie! the violence was what made it pop it wasent as good as the first but good job tarantino keep up the great work!
½ March 9, 2010
I didn't feel like doing separate reviews for two movies that should go together but I will say that Volume 1 was better than Volume 2 in story but 2 was better in dialogue. An enjoyable violence fest all around.
½ March 7, 2010
now today we don't see movies about samurai any more so this is the est samurai movie I have seen in a while
½ January 11, 2010
I have no idea why I love these movies like I do. A full-on revenge plot?,... that could be it. The over the top violence so it almost seemed too unreal to be gross?,...hmmm, maybe. But these two films are alot of fun from the very start.
The very beginning is antiquated film from some old drive-in theater it seems (seemingly warning you to hurry up at the snackhut and run back to your car cuz the show is about to start). Even the sound is all scratchy and warbled and sounds like it's coming out of those awful speakers you or (like me) your parents had to hook up to the car window. A start like that and you know you might be taking a trip back in time.
Funny parts to break up the serious violent bloody mess that some scenes turn into. It's an homage to old Kung Fu movies... but was it an homage or poking fun at it? Doesn't matter. It's a fun ride if Kung Fu movies are your thing or even if they aren't (like me). Psycho sirens blaring loudly for the closeups of a characters eyes just before a battle ensues? Hysterical. Just think... those soundtracks were once used seriously. Too much.
I don't know how to choose a winner between the two movies, so it only seemed fair to review them together. Both are so similar that if you like one, you'll probably like the other. And if you did not like the first, well... I don't know what to tell ya. :)
½ December 10, 2009
I absolutely loved these movies. I would have rated it at a 9.5 but couldn't. I love Tarentino's sick and twisted humor. Uma did a great job in this parody of karate movies, all the while keeping you interested with the story. Definitely a worthwhile watch if you like a good comedy with some intense action.
½ August 24, 2009
Kill bill 1 and 2 are pretty awesome movies. They stay focused on the aspect of revenge and are intriguing right up to it's conclusion.

The presentation is beautiful and this time the music really sets a great and unexpected tone throughout the movie.
½ February 23, 2009
While both of these volumes are amazing, I personally believe that just one movie would have been the smarter decision. Uma Thurman's performance as the bride is amazing. While this isn't Tarantino's best movie it is pretty damn good.
December 22, 2007
This is the King (or maybe more appropriately Queen) of all action movies. Tarantino is spectacular in creating this. Somehow it feels like both a parody of the action genre but also a very serious action flick in its own right. Most parodies tend to feel like anything any class clown with a camera could have shot. This feels like parody transformed into an art.

The soundtrack is great and always fitting. The acting performances are dead on. The aesthetic is unique and exciting. Somehow despite the eclectic mix of action subgenres the characters have a very real depth that the audience gets to know and identify with. These will forever be classics of the action genre.
May 2, 2012
Box sets and alternate versions should not have their own entries on Flixster/Rotten Tomatoes. It makes things confusing.
December 29, 2009

I give it a 9.6/10

June 2, 2010
½ May 7, 2010
My favourite film sequel of action. I love that hotori honzo sword and five point heart technique in the film
RJ Smoove
½ April 4, 2010

½ March 9, 2010
½ March 7, 2010
½ January 23, 2010
Tarantino at the top of his game. All fans of action/martial-arts must see these films. Seriously. There should be a law. Tarantino has a knack for re-imagining the films he grew up on in the seventies and, in doing so, surpassing them.
½ January 11, 2010