The 2010 Golden Tomato Awards

Summary

Welcome to RT's 12th Annual Golden Tomato Awards, in which we honor the best-reviewed movies of 2010. From high-profile Hollywood hits to little movies that could, we've got the movies that won the critics' hearts -- and probably inspired you as well. There was plenty of interesting stuff in the multiplex in 2010: the mighty Pixar closed out its Toy Story trilogy, Christopher Nolan twisted minds (and city blocks) with Inception, and David Fincher told the fictional tale of Facebook's early days with The Social Network. At the arthouse, provocative documentaries about China's economy and unconventional artists wowed the pundits. Which films will take home the coveted Golden Tomato Awards? Where do your favorites rank? And which of these flicks took home the User Tomato award, decided by you, the RT faithful? Back to Article

Comments

thinkpol

Travis Donnelly

Although animated you couldn't have included Toy Story in the Kids/Family category as well?

Jan 11 - 07:22 AM

Ali Akbar

Ali Akbar Ferdosi

Why isn't The King's Speech there?? or it's the list that's so MESSED UP!!

Jan 11 - 07:34 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

It's number 1 on the User list... Did you even read any of this before posting??

Jan 11 - 01:34 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

Okay, I can wee why we're maybe exempting the animated films from "Children/Family" since we'd practically be repeating the list from "Animated," but how is "How to Train Your Dragon" not under the "Sci-Fi/Fantasy" category?

Jan 11 - 07:38 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

For me, not better than 2008, cause that was one of the all time greats, but remove Avatar and it was way better than 2009 for me. It's all just a matter of taste really, but for me it's hard to call it a bad year.

Jan 11 - 07:59 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Would also like to mention Unstoppable, which for me was one of the most enjoyable films I saw all year. Surprisingly so, I wasn't really that excited when my friends suggested it, but there wasn't anything else out that I hadn't already seen so I went along and really enjoyed it.

Jan 11 - 09:10 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Yeah! I hate Avatar too! That movie sucked!...
Oh, wait, did I miss the bandwagon?? Does everybody like it again?
Yeah! Avatar rules!!
(I love being a follower!)

Jan 11 - 01:37 PM

Nick P.

Nick Porter

(excuse the lack of paragraphs, blame RT)
2008 wasn't a great year. Of the good films on the GT release list that I've actually heard of, we just had The Dark Knight, Wall-E, Slumdog, The Wrestler, Man On Wire and Let The Right One In. If you're being generous you could add Iron Man and Hellboy 2.

2009, on the other hand... I've said this in another thread recently, but last year was *unprecedented* in recent times. Up, Star Trek, District 9, Inglorious Bastards, Up In The Air, In The Loop, Hurt Locker, An Education, The Cove... plus a few bubbling under that I can remember from the top of my head, such as Avatar, Moon, The Hangover, Watchmen, A Prophet, Precious, 500 Days Of Summer, Bad Lieutenant...

2010's been a great year, particularly in the last few months, but it'll be a long time until we see another one like 2009. '08, in my opinion, was actually below average.

Jan 12 - 04:31 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Just like a Lifetime movie.

Jan 11 - 08:17 AM

John T.

John Taylor

Well, it would have been better if all catagories were accessible at the same time instead of having to open a new window for each catagory.

Jan 11 - 08:25 AM

HERESSSSSSJOHNNY

HERESSSSSS JOHNNY

I thought the exact same thing. The ending ruined the movie for me.

Jan 11 - 08:32 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Agree with all the wide release choices, although Inception is still my favorite of the year.

I need to see some of those limited release films, as A Prophet is the only one I have seen (and it is incredible).

Jan 11 - 08:56 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Toy Story 3 and Inception were not only my favorite films of last year, but my favorite films for the past several years. In fact, both of them are among my favorite movies of ALL TIME.

There are many other films of 2010 I've yet to see, but it seems to me that 2010 ended up being quite a strong year for films toward the end of the year, as opposed to how horrible it was looking early on. The other movies I saw are How to Train Your Dragon (LOVED it), Deathly Hallows Part 1 (LOVED it), and Iron Man 2 (liked it, it was okay). So there was nothing I saw that was really a disappointment to me (my expectations with Iron Man 2 weren't that high to begin with), and Toy Story 3 certainly lived up to my expectations and perhaps even exceeded them.

I yet to see The Social Network, Scott Pilgrim, Tangled, 127 Hours, True Grit, The Town, Black Swan, Shutter Island, and Despicable Me among others, but I've heard great things about them. But based on the movies I did see, I'd say 2010 was a pretty strong year indeed.

Jan 11 - 08:59 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 11 - 09:10 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Non offensive and straight forward makes it sound like a safe and forgettable movie. It has some of the best performances by Firth, Rush, & Bonham Carter. It is a pretty fascinating and humanizing look at the British monarchy in much the same way that The Queen was. I'd call its charm refreshingly well crafted.

Jan 11 - 10:21 AM

Stephen B.

Stephen Bloom

Good point. I greatly liked the film, but not to the extent I liked The Social Network. Looking back, I can see that, though The King's Speech is nothing groundbreaking, it repaves that ground competently and with expertise. I don't mean to take away from it; I suppose I momentarily forgot that the tomatometer is an accumulation of 'good' and 'bad' ratings, and I can understand that very few people have any ground to consider it a bad movie.

Jan 11 - 06:44 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Social Network is also my pick for best of the year, shortly followed by Inception, Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, and Black Swan.

Jan 12 - 10:04 AM

Sploich

Adam Bolden

Calling The Kids Are All Right a comedy is like saying The Savages is a feel-good family film.

Jan 11 - 10:21 AM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

I actually liked the fact that the adults weren't 2-dimensional stock characters you find in most Rom Com's. Ruffalo's character had a good bit of charm but he also had a quite a few faults, as did Julianne Moore's character. I don't think the movie is Best Movie of the Year material but it was well worth my time.

Jan 11 - 10:26 AM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I liked it, but it shouldn't be getting so much praise like it is. The acting's great but that's about it.

Jan 12 - 09:17 AM

Matt Cuffe

Matthew Cuffe

I was sick of Ruffalo's character until the nearer the end. He seemed completely one dimensional and flawless but he did turn into a good character. The end was really good. It's stupid just to write it off as award bait.

Jan 14 - 02:09 PM

Panagiotis S.

Panagiotis Seizis

Well, my favorite is INCEPTION!!! so, i'll pick Inception! There were some others nice films, but nothing like it! A have a question...how can a movie about facebook win a golden globe?

Jan 11 - 12:04 PM

Dark enV

Jason Boyce

In a year where we had a lot of just plain bad films (Jonah Hex, The Last Airbender, Vampires Suck, just to name a few) it's amazing how many truly amazing films there were too.
My favorites:'
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1
Shutter Island
The Fighter

Jan 11 - 12:14 PM

Aster

jay aster lastimoso

I've watched everything in your list except for Tangled and The King's Speech (some of these movies were not yet shown here in our country, but I couldn't wait for them so I went for the screeners; who could blame me when Black Swan, True Grit, 127 Hours, Tangled etc. are scheduled to be shown in February or worse March) - and I agree they are all pretty much amazing (Social Network is a bit overrated though, imo).I'd still see those movies though that I first watched through screeners when they roll here next month.

Jan 11 - 01:05 PM

M Night Shyamalan

M Night Shyamalan

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Did you really just put "Airbender" in the same category as "Jonah Hex" and "Vampires Suck"?

Jan 11 - 01:23 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

What a TWIST!!!

Jan 11 - 02:11 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Come on Baby. Lets do the TWIST. Come on BAYYYY BAHHHH. Lets do the TWIST. Yea kid that see's ghosts. Unbreakable guy to the left. Aliens over there peaking in the bushes. All the ladies in the water from the village. Lets do the TWIST.

Jan 16 - 10:42 AM

TheMovieNerd

Tumelo Drametu

It's all a matter of opinion. I truly thought that 2010 was a great year for movies.

Jan 11 - 12:22 PM

Rockslide

Rocky Davies

I think there were a handful of really great movies this year. The only two that I actually purchased, and care to watch again, were two animated films. Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon. I would have to say that Toy Story 3 deserves the oscar, but I know how hollywood works.

2011 will definitely be a year for comic nerds (good thing I'm one of them). I'm excited for the summer releases. Hopefully the stories and direction will live up to even half of the hype.

Jan 11 - 12:32 PM

Sean Z.

Sean Zabik

The social network could be one of the best films of the decade! So original and totally relaitable. Deserves every award this season. The Kids are all Right = completly overrated! Another overrated one was The Kings Speech.....BORING! Social network had to have been the best this year!

Jan 11 - 12:33 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

Kids was a good movie... until the last 20 or so minutes when it started becoming formulaic and the writers pretty much ran out of material.

Jan 11 - 05:05 PM

Aster

jay aster lastimoso

Jan 11 - 01:05 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships