Killer Joe Reviews

April 16, 2015
Do you want me to wear your face?
½ April 12, 2015
Nice story, funny in a way, one of Mc Conaughey's best performance... and you'll never look at KFC the same way again...
July 26, 2012
SO. AMAZING. It's brutal to a fault, but also very funny and Matthew McConaughey is excellent. Get ready for one of the most dysfunctional families in the world!
½ April 7, 2015
I really loved this gritty dark humor indie flicks! Matthew McConaughey did a wonderful performance IMO.
January 17, 2015
Once again, McConaughey delivers a fantastic and impressively disturbing performance. Unfortunately, once again, the vehicle for that performance is subpar. It is a well put together and well acted modern western but Friedkin crosses the line with the sexual scenes, which show far too much and imply far too little. It reminds me of Kubrick's Clockwork Orange, which also hid useful social commentary but failed due to an extreme lack of tact. Killer Joe is the same way with a topic that might actually be more challenging than the gang rape scene of Clockwork. Even in today's film world, there are lines and Killer Joe manages to cross them with a distinct lack of sensitivity or artistic expression.
½ February 25, 2015
In Killer Joe you will find a cast full of stars that really contribute , with their strong performance , in creating a raw , sometimes too violent and disturbing film.
½ September 26, 2014
The extreme gory brutality of the film is justified by wonderful performances from Mathew McConaughey and Emile Hirsch, supported by a general good written and developped intelligent script.
½ January 15, 2015
The only reason I gave it a score as high as I did is because Matthew McConaughey elevates this material way above and beyond what it deserves. I'd never seen Juno Temple in anything before, but she was the only other cast worth talking about, and I'll be keeping my eye out for her in the future that is for sure. Friedkin is obviously way beyond his prime, this does not rise to the standards he set with The Exorcist and French Connection and To Live and Die in LA. It's unfortunate that this great McConaughey performance might not have been wasted in more capable hands.
½ January 3, 2015
Led by an excellent performance from Matthew McConaughey and supported by good performances from the rest of the cast, Killer Joe is intense, gruesome, disturbing, but intertwined with hilarious moments, you may not enjoy the experience, but you can't deny that it is exactly that.
½ January 2, 2015
What "Killer Joe" lacks in story, it more than makes up for in performances and characters. The story itself isn't much, even the "twist" is kinna ordinary, but it is a pleasure to watch Matthew McConaughey's performance.
½ January 1, 2015
This is such a great movie. I think McConaughey was at his best. I have no complaints about this one. I highly recommend it if you have never seen it or if its been a while since you watched it.
July 11, 2014
Sometimes I wish some directors would retire before make a fool of themselves.
December 30, 2014
This dark comedy is much more dark than funny and the ambiguous ending did not help the movie, but the story itself and characters and the actors portraying them really made this movie enjoyable to watch.
December 30, 2014
A story about a troubled son plotting to have his mother killed in order to collect the life insurance and pay off his debts. Based on a play this is not a movie for everyone as the titular Joe is very much the sosiopathic killer his name suggests. Friedkin pulls no punches and McConaghey drops his pretty boy image completely for this role. Brutal story with violence and nudity so be warned.
½ November 6, 2014
This film is refreshingly 'different'. With too many 'Children's Fantasy' films around at the moment, it was good to catch this Adult type film. I do believe that there are silly people in the world, such as the ones portrayed here, but I doubt if they have such sexy partners ?...But great to see them included. This flick definitely has it's moments. But a very bad ending, because we are left 'up in the air'...probably making way for Killer Joe number 2 ?....definitely worth a watch !
½ December 6, 2014
An unexpectedly awesome dark comedy. Well, if it wasn't supposed to be a dark comedy there was still many humorous moments.
½ December 18, 2014
McConaughey and Gershon are great in this neo-exploitation movie, but Emile Hirsch is a huge disappointment.
½ December 16, 2014
this movie is strange but fuckin hilarious!
December 14, 2014
It's weird and uninteresting.
½ March 15, 2014
Good work, but often used image of the villain is not that we have not seen yet.
(should add to my original opinion that it is a good example of black humor and satire on society, 8 months later)