Movies Like Killer Klowns from Outer Space

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

Killer Klowns from Outer Space Reviews

Spencer S

January 12, 2012
This is how you make a movie that is supposed to be bad, enjoyable. Spoofs and satires of the past ten years need to take a good long look into the mirror and ask themselves why they didn't use alien killer klowns for their premise instead of whatever lame brained ideal they came up with. This film stars basically all unknowns except for John Vernon (Animal House) and is probably one of the better movies based off B-films of the fifties. For a science fiction flick it has all the best details you're looking for: alien invasion, making believers out of non-believers, goofy sidekicks, and the beautiful heroine who has to be saved from danger. None of this film makes sense, but that's the beauty in it. Though the premise is laughable on its own, the filmmakers were really creative with many aspects of this film that they could have left lacking. I loved the use of all things circus to broaden the alien appeal, including using cotton candy as a weapon, popcorn to grow mini clown organisms, and the look of the aliens themselves. Their lopsided craniums and rubbery evil grins were especially creepy. The effects were good for the time period, and again, are used in really creative ways. The aliens don't just make everyone into cotton candy pods but also kill in gruesome and horrific ways. The plot actually holds up under direct scrutiny, even though the ending with the ice cream truck was just vintage goofiness, and the stuff involving the romantic leads was a bit much under the circumstances. It was a really well put together film and I was slightly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I should warn now that if you don't like bad movies, like I do, you should veer away from this because it is not for the faint of heart or those with high sensibilities. The acting was surprisingly good under the circumstances, and features a young Christopher Titus as Bob. The film is full of fanciful colors, stage design, and costuming for these grotesquely shaped klowns. A classic of bad cinema, I cannot wait for the upcoming slated sequel.
Lanning :

July 25, 2011
Much more entertaining than I expected. I'd heard so many strange comments about this one, I finally had to check it out. Glad I did. These clowns are pretty damn scary, for real, and even if this falls in the Below "B" category, it's worth watching.
Emily A

September 15, 2007
Hey look, it's Christopher Titus! If you rent a movie called Killer Klowns from Outer Space, you deserve exactly what's coming to you. If you don't like stupid movies, stay away from this one. I for one, actually DO like stupid movies though, and this one is a lot of fun. It's anyone's guess why an aggressive race of aliens have landed on the one planet where there form (as well as every element of thier culture) has its own independant relevance. Fear the cotton candy, my friends!
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

May 5, 2007
The title sums this one up perfect. Yeah it's silly, cheesy and childish and it really depends on your taste and humour whether you enjoy this or not. I thought it was good amusing fun, never a dull moment and it's one to have a late night laugh with. The alien "Klowns" did look pretty good too, perfect for the films tone. It's worth a watch.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
So horrendously bad, it's fantastically hilarious and I love it! It's literally what the title says, so that will give you a good idea of how crazy this movie is.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
With a title like Killer Klowns From Outer Space you know you're in for something special. Invading aliens done up as clowns land by a town and start killing the local towns people with cotton candy ray guns and guns that shoot popcorn. The film is quite original and is a fun one as well. You'll find yourself hating clowns and laughing, and jumping out of your seat. The Chiodo Brothers created something that is truly special in Klowns, this film in my opinion deserves a lot more praise, and is definitely a classic of the genre. This film will make you smile as the Klowns with homicidal tendencies kill the population of the local town in creative ways. If you know by, this is not a film to take seriously. The point of this film is that it's a horror comedy, a fun one at that. You can tell just by the title that you'll either love it or hate it. Killer Klowns is a terrific B movie, and is a film that every horror fan should see because the premise is so silly, you're guaranteed a good time watching it. In my opinion Killer Klowns From Outer Space is very underrated, and just because it has a somewhat "dumb" title, you should dismiss this film on those grounds. The film was designed to be a fun ride for the audience, simple as that. Killer Klowns shouldn't be taken so seriously, watch it before judging the film too harshly. The film is very amusing, silly, but above all fun.
Overall, Killer Klowns is a great little gem of Horror Comedy, and if you love laughing and being scared, give this one a view. Killer Klowns is a film that should be considered a classic and get the attention it truly deserves.
Alexis N

October 11, 2010
This movie is about alien clowns here from space to harvest people in cotton candy cocoons. It's an 80's cult classic, fun and who doesn't like clowns as killers?!
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 9, 2009
Alien clowns arrive in a flying circus tent armed with popcorn guns and a penchant for wrapping victims in cotton candy. Intentionally outrageous and completely silly.
arashxak
arashxak

November 25, 2009
"See a rubber nose on a painted face, bringing genocide to the human race, It's time to take a ride, on a nightmare merry go round, You'll be dead on arrival, from the likes of the Killer Klowns from outer space"
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

November 14, 2009
The title pretty much says it all; killer klowns invade earth and disturb teenagers' make-out sessions. The one joke premise is enough to turn it from a formula yawner into something watchable and reasonably entertaining, if lightweight.
Anthony L

October 1, 2009
A ridiculous 80's comedy/Horror film but highly amusing and original. Good fun!
Cindy I

July 9, 2009
With the exception of one scene that was pretty creepy, I can't recommend this. Not funny, not campy, not scary...yawn
Luke B

March 21, 2009
Simply read the title to decide if you are going to like this or not. Killer Klowns is pretty much a perfect film of it's genre. Funny, daft, inventive and most of all it has an enjoyable personality. This is a film that's so much fun to be around, you laugh with it not at it. Sometimes trying to create such a film just goes horribly wrong. Here, everything works out for the best. The Klowns look very impressive, as does the entire film. I honestly had no idea it was from the 80's. I would have guessed 1994. The performances are those of actors enjoying their craft. Vernon is particularly delightful as an exaggeration on pessimistic and non-trusting policemen. A lot of the humour is brilliant, in terms of ideas and execution. From a well animated shadow puppet show to a wonderful attempt at an escape "It's a door, there's another door, and another door...". The dialog is also very knowing and excellently delivered "Nobody's gonna put me in a balloon again!". Want some surprisingly well made dumb fun? Check this out, it surpasses camp and works on every level.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 26, 2007
THIS is one of the greatest B movies ever!
Bannan i

May 18, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...watched this stoned. OMFG. ROFL.
Cheesy as hell.
Tim S

August 1, 2007
Dumb, but funny.
puffchunk
puffchunk

October 1, 2007
Pretty silly, but fun I suppose.
Lafe F

July 11, 2007
Pure fun! It has a 1950's invasion movie formula, with superbly realized alien Klowns and all their circus gizmos to conqueor the human race. Two teens are trying to stop the Klowns, with help from a young cop and two goofy bozos who drive an Ice Cream truck. John Vernon plays the non-believing Officer Mooney. The Klown's circus tent spaceship has many fun-house like chambers. My favorite line is the one with the security guard "What are you going to do with those pies, boys?" This is an absolute classic piece of sci-fi comedy horror from the late 80's.
Drew S

February 3, 2007
A hyper-cheesy and basically irredeemable horror/comedy movie worth a few laughs, but little else.
Michael G

November 26, 2006
I will never understand how this is a cult classic.