40% As Above/So Below Aug 29

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Killing Reviews

Carlos M

April 29, 2014
Kubrick was already showing early signs of his genius when he brought us this masterpiece, an impressively elaborate heist thriller quite rich in details for its time, with also a deliciously wry dialogue and growing unbearably tense and suspenseful until its very end.
Matt G

February 13, 2011
Sorry, was I missing something here? I found this to be abhorrent.
garyX
garyX

June 19, 2007
Fresh out of prison, a career criminal cooks up an ingenious scheme to rob a racetrack. The Killing is an early film from Stanley Kubrick and yet another masterclass. He takes to the visual trappings of Film Noir and creates one of the most efficiently told and tautly directed heist films ever made. Sterling Hayden is perfect as the straight-talking, street-wise mastermind, as is Marie Windsor's Machiavellian femme fatale who twists doomed sap Elisha Cook Jr round her little finger. So much of this film has influenced some of the best directing talent working today that it still feels remarkably contemporary; Tarantino owes much to the over-lapping timeline in particular and the mix of off beat characters, violent crime and cruel twists of fate is straight out of a Cohen brothers movie (Timothy Carey actually looks the spit of Peter Stormare in this film!). In fact the only element that dates it is the newsreel style voice over, although it does help fit the pieces of puzzle together quite well. Johnny Clay was a brilliant character whom I would have liked to have learned more about, to the point where you are almost sorry to see him caught. But wishing the film was longer is hardly the most damning criticism! Is there any genre Kubrick couldn't do?
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 8, 2008
If your a collctor of Film Noir do not allow this one to slip through the cracks. Stanley Kubrick set the bar high for Robberyt Gone Bad films after he released this one. A thrilling crime drama way ahead of its time. 5 Stars 8-2-12
JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

April 7, 2012
There are two types of heist films: one relies merely on the act of the robbery to hold the audience's attention, and the other explores the psychology and meticulous nature of planning a robbery. For me, I'm with Truffaut in naming Riffifi as the undisputed "king of the heist film," but The Killing is a great example of the latter. Sure, Sterling Hayden is as stiff and wooden as ever, but he is bailed out by an exemplary supporting cast (minus the awful Coleen Gray, who thankfully only really has one scene). And of course, there's Kubrick's show-stopping dolly shots, and his patented lighting schemes. What he lacked in Fear and Desire and Killer's Kiss, he perfected in The Killing. Getting this complete, assuredly paced film under his belt would go on to be the impetus for him to create some of the greatest cinematic achievements in the 20th century.

A lot has been made of the narration being sometimes irritating, that it carries a kind of B-movie police drama expository tone, and the information is too much. I would argue that the narration was necessary in establishing and maintaining the complex and non-sequential plot, and that the information is an interesting mold in the film's structure. It adds on a layer to that existentialist subtext, as every description makes it sounds like the narrator's a reporter looking back on the past events with a (detached) objectivity. Every aspect of the plan is on a rigid schedule (time of day is consistently highlighted throughout), but even the most stringent, meticulous of plans can't avoid the inevitable disruption of chance, luck, or in this case, fate.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 14, 2012
Johnny Clay: You'd be killing a horse - that's not first degree murder, in fact it's not murder at all, in fact I don't know what it is.

"In All It's Fury and Violence"

Kubrick's third feature length film, The Killing, is really what jump started his career. Before it he had made Fear and Desire, which he hated, and another decent film called Killer's Kiss. The Killing was his first great movie, and showed the potential he had as a director. This short heist film lacks in nothing. The one thing that did irritate me about it was the horrible narration. It sounded so out of place. The only place narration like that would fit in is a terrible and cheap 50's science fiction film. Other than that, the rest is just about as perfect as it could be.

Johnny Clay is planning one last big score before settling into a quiet life. He enlists the help of some less than big time criminals. What he plans to do is take a horse track for all its got, which is roughly around $2,000,000. Everyone involved thinks they have the perfect plan and that nothing is going to go wrong, but it is a robbery, so you know that is never going to happen.

The film is really revolutionary in how it does the robbery. Kubrick manipulates time like no movie before it and really sets the stage for every movie that would use this technique in the future. He does the same scene, at different times, from different viewpoints. It's like how Tarantino does his crime scenes in movies like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. The Killing obviously had a huge influence on the crime and heist genres and an even bigger influence on how directors would look at time. You don't have to film everything in sequence, and that is exactly what Kubrick proved here.

The Killing is extremely intelligent and ahead of its time in just about every detail of the robbery. It isn't only about how Kubrick manipulated time, but how he built the film up to the disastrous ending. The dialogue is great, but where you really see the Kubrick touch is in the actual filming of the movie. This is the first film where we really see how Kubrick would approach the filming of his movies.

It isn't my favorite Kubrick film, nor would I classify it as his best. But there is something incredibly special about watching it. This is when Kubrick really started making films that were so much better than everyone else's. It was before Paths of Glory, before 2001. So looking at this movie decades later, after his great career in filmmaking is over; it is wonderful experience. There really is nothing else like watching a great Stanley Kubrick movie.

After this, Kubrick would make nothing but extraordinary movies. If you haven't seen any of his movies, this is where you should start, and then just follow his filmography by date. I bet Kubrick would even say, that he wished this was the first movie he had ever made.

Johnny Clay: You like money. You've got a great big dollar sign there where most women have a heart.
Tyler C

January 11, 2012
Director Stanley Kubrick in his earliest days as a filmmaker, delivers an engrossing film noir tale of the "robbery gone wrong," featuring razor sharp dialogue, Kubrick's classic directing trademarks and a strong lead performance by Sterling Hayden. Most likely one of my top 25 favorite movies of all-time!
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

November 29, 2007
asphalt jungle is much better.
Michael G

October 23, 2006
Not the best, but definitely my favorite Kubrick film. There is nothing wrong with this film whatsoever. I remember thinking Tarantino was a hack after originally seeing this but then again, the kind of genius contained within this film is going to escape eventually. Kubrick's direction and camera work are absolutely astonishing. The cast, the dialogue and story are all to die for. This movie is so underrated its depressing...
stevenecarrier
stevenecarrier

August 19, 2011
With his third ("Fear and Desire," and "Killer's Kiss" preceded) feature film, "The Killing," Stanley Kubrick had proved he was here to stay. "The Killing" is such a triumph because it did so many things at once, almost effortlessly. Kubrick demonstrated that he understood what makes a great crime film, but also updated it with his near expert manipulation of narrative. He also brought a sense of that noir existentialism to a heist film, which was extremely exciting at the time. Something that really stood out to me was the confidence in which he moved his camera. It was some of the most innovative, subtle and stylish cinematography since Orson Welles' "Citizen Kane." "The Killing's" influences have been far reaching, most notably in Quentin Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs" and to a much different extent, Steven Soderbergh's "Ocean's Eleven." Because of this, the film might not seem as relevant today, but I assure you, "The Killing" is the real deal. A blazingly original, stylish and uncommonly confident heist film that works just a nicely as a great slice of film history.
sergioogarcia
sergioogarcia

July 12, 2011
LOVE IT. What a great movie! Stanley Kubrick never stops amazing me. After watching The Killing I'm totally convinced that I will watch his entire filmographty. The perfect plan for the perfect robbery. Sterling Hayden wow. Almost evrything is perfect in this movie. I loved it, really. Go for it, NOW!
Stefanie C

April 10, 2008
tarantino had to have watched this flick several times before making resevoir dogs...
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

June 27, 2011
Pure film noir from Stanley Kubrick, this being only his third full-length film. I guess my biggest problem with it is the actual narration of the piece. It stands out like a sore thumb and sounds almost exactly like the same narrator from Plan 9 from Outer Space. Not that either film has anything to do with each other OR that the narration is the wrong move, but it just took me out of the moment each time it came up. The story is there and comes across very strong so I'm curious how different it would be without it. Just a theory. Regardless, this is a strong work from one of the grand masters.
axadntpron
axadntpron

March 17, 2011
There are just some directors out there who are so visionary that everything they touch is pure gold. After watching The Killing, it is hard to argue that Kubrick wasn't one of those people. His only stab at noir is certainly impressive. Much like Huston's Concrete Jungle, this film is centered around the plight of the criminals involved in a heist. The films also share the star Sterling Hayden who, while not as charismatic as other men of Noir such as Bogart, still delivers a great performance. However, while Huston's film seems to focus on telling a great story, Kubrick's film plays like an exercise in style. Casual walks across the inside of an apartment become opportunities for Kubrick to pull off an excellent tracking shot. Kubrick's camera is fluid and the shots are beautiful without drawing too much attention to the camera. The story isn't particularly fascinating and the supporting actors aren't anything to write home about. However, this is one of the more exquisitely shot noirs I have seen and another example that Kubrick was one of the most visionary directors of the 20th century.
Jennifer X

May 1, 2011
A really stylish, backstabbing noir with a flair for the theatrical.
MovieMaster12
MovieMaster12

March 12, 2011
It's a breathlessly paced, early Kubrick, heist-thriller about an elaborate plan to knock-over a racetrack. With stylish camera movements in low-key, smokey black and white and a noirish, jazzy score, Kubrick displayed his innate technical skill to go along with the story's infectious immediacy and sinister cynicism. No matter how perfectly planned a crime may be, something always can, and will, go wrong. The Killing is like the anti-2001 and to watch the plan unfold at non-linear, bullet-speed has the giddy excitement one might feel while pulling off the perfect "killing" -- or watching a legend be born.
familiar s

March 9, 2011
Obviously since it falls in my favorite genre, the director's name (Stanley Kubrick) only added fuel to the fire. However, while the movie was okay for killing time, it was nothing great or extraordinary.
Conner R

July 28, 2010
The killing is a very interesting movie, however, I don't think it would get as much praise as it does without having Stanley Kubrick's name attached to it. This lacks the precision and style that Kubrick is known for, which essentially makes it another noir/heist movie from the 50s. What makes it worthwhile are the characters and concept of time. It might be a little too moralistic, even for noir, but in the end it's a really cool ride.
jjnxn
jjnxn

September 30, 2007
Tightly crafted crime caper with excellent cast well directed by Kubrick. Even the stolid Hayden is well cast here, his stiffness used to good effect.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

February 26, 2010
Film Noir bliss. Should be about 4.5 stars but the melodrama between one of the couples got on my nerves. "I'm not happy, we live in a dump, get the money so we can be happy, wait I'm cheating on you?" 50's baby. Sterling Hayden is a machine and Kubrick is a robot, earning dem chops wif dis movie.