15% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Killing Reviews

April 1, 2014
A Stanley Kubrick classic with an incredible robbery scene and a thrilling climax. The script is fantastic.
April 12, 2013
Kubrick's first really good film. The suspense is great.
March 23, 2014
You can see where Kubrick started creatively and how far he has come since The Killing. He tremendously improved, and this isn't very entertaining or interesting.
February 18, 2014
Ha...really enjoyed this one. Another of Kubrick's early films (his third). Not really much of a film noir fan, but this was a very cool movie!!!
Chris B

June 10, 2011
What an amazing and downright enthralling film Kubrick developed in what is known as The Killing! It has the feel of Killer's Kiss but in the year after this release, Kubrick developed much more finesse as a director and knew this was his first major Hollywood attempt. The cast are all amazing and bring life to the various characters they portray and that Kubrick develops with enough detail and realism, you feel for each and every one in some way. While Killer's Kiss may have had a studio-embossed happy ending, The Killing didn't at all and let Kubrick develop his darker and "happiness is just out of reach" ending. I few The Killing as the better of the two "kill" films as it is longer and showcases Kubrick's talent and script in a much better and controlled way. Highly Recommended for Kubrick films and anyone looking for an overall good and tense film!
February 11, 2014
Fantastic characters, pacing, and storytelling format.
September 26, 2013
Stanley Kubrick arranged the parallel storyline and presented a flawless plan from multi-angles and laid a heavy sense of oppression on the audience about the fate of the ruthless robbers. The explosive ending drags us back to the earth and puts us back to the correct track of morality.
Brett C.
January 14, 2014
I am a fan of Stanley Kubrick's work and I have watched all but 2 of his films, Dr. Strangelove and Fear and Desire. The Killing is one of those movies that is definitely heels above it's competitors of that era and some that follows it. It's definitely a classic and herald by some as their personal favorite from Kubrick, I for one see it as one of his good efforts and just can't quite get up there with his films like A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The Killing was written by Kubrick and Jim Thompson, and was based on the novel "Clean Break" by Lionel White. I am not sure how much Thompson has contributed in the writing of the film, maybe a handful as he does get given the title of "screenplay by" in Paths of Glory. The Killing has a plot that has definitely been covered somewhat on films before this but it isn't the writing of this film that stands out but rather the style that Kubrick employs in telling the story. The Killing's characters for the most part are interesting enough that they don't become boring or lacking in personality. I did enjoy the work that these man had to go through for the plan to follow through, so cheers to Kubrick and Thompson for that. The aspect that truly brings this film down is the narration that drives the film. Sometimes I don't mind narration but here it just lacks that insightful depth in telling the story that it doesn't really say much other than the facts. It would have been nice for a little subjective view of the characters involved in the robbery or at least a voice over or two from some of the characters in particular moments.

Stanley Kubrick's vision for this film is quite ambitious as a style like this can keep the film from moving forward and having certain areas repeat itself and become tiresome. I admired his choice of telling the story and it has definitely inspired filmmakers in the future to embrace this narrative style. It felt like Kubrick was a little restricted when making this film as it just doesn't to seem to have that edge that his post-Paths of Glory films do. The film overall does feel a little safe but given the story that this film has it cannot really be as imaginative as his other films endure.

Lucien Ballard was responsible for the film's photography. I have yet seen another film that Ballard has worked on but I am curious on how he handles the Western films from the 60's. The film's photography is definitely well thought out and Kubrick and Ballard definitely knows what shots they want. The camera pans and moves from time to time but done so in a way that feels slick, which supports the style that Kubrick was going for. Before coming into this I was hoping that the film will have a much more darker and murkier photography to enhance a certain style that would fit in with the story. The style that Ballard uses is still fine though, I just felt it could have been more.

Gerald Fried worked with all of Kubrick's pre-Spartacus films and though his score is not as remembered or praised like Kubrick's later films, he does give his best for the films he works on. Fried's score for The Killing is not something I will remember in the long run but at the time of watching, I did get sucked in to what was happening and his score does add on to the tension and suspense that the film demanded. There are parts where it does get a little too much but not to the point where it becomes bothersome.

The Killing has a few characters it showcases and each one has their own moments especially in the first 30 minutes of the film but none can outdo Sterling Hayden's performance. Hayden brings this tough but yet prepared and logical character to life. When Hayden gets his speeches, it sounds very cool and slick. The rest of the cast on the other hand were decent and only one or two that felt a little bit too over the top, I'm looking at you Marie Windsor.

The Killing is definitely an interesting approach in telling a crime story, though used quite abundantly now, and it has a terrific performance from Sterling Hayden. Personally it's not in the higher rankings when compared to Kubrick's other films but it definitely isn't bad.
December 17, 2013
A tightly constructed, influential heist picture, with all the flavours of Kubrick's ironic and cold view of human nature.
Harish K.
April 9, 2012
This was Kubrick's first thriller Movie and i think it's one of the best film-noir classic in terms of Acting and Direction.
Everyone shines in this movie,the great assembled cast.
The fast-talker and boss Sterling Hayden's character just nails the movie with his wits and style.
Every other actor did a good job.
The direction is brilliant,cinematography is incredible,film-noir element is consistent.
From start to end this film is amazing especially the climax.
Clearly a Young Kubrick's triumph.
As we see the movie was release in 1950's it is cleverly made.
Full of thrills and Crime genre fans will sure enjoy this movie a lot.
December 7, 2013
In this era of cultural depravity overrun with stupid reality shows and bloated Hollywood movie run times, The Killing is a refreshing example of what good entertainment really looks like. Nothing is wasted in this movie. No unnecessary dialogue, no frivolous scenes, no ridiculous action sequences. The efficient editing contributes significantly to this movie's overall quality. While the story might be filled with film noir cliches, the movie benefits from the talented guidance of a young Stanley Kubrick.
November 28, 2013
the perfect double feature for 'the asphalt jungle' and kubrick's first film
July 1, 2012

November 25, 2013
I really enjoyed the Killing and found it to be rather riveting for a film from the 1950's (I am prejudice). The dialogue and character interactions especially I found to be really weighted in terms of character and overall believable. The film has this sort of vintage narrative that hypes the end of the film up to a very exciting climax, not to mention and fantastic ending that will leave you speechless. I would need to see the film again to get a better understanding of the plot the men carry out, and all of the complex steps they carry out to succeed. For a film, it is very good. For a Kubrick film, it is just good, I'd say, and I know all Kubrick fans understand what I'm saying. For example, I wasn't struck by a memorable score, iconic imagery or unforgettable characters. The film operates as a great little story but is definitely not an American classic by any means, nothing really worth celebrating. I'm very interested as to why the film has a nearly flawless score here on rotten tomatoes, if i were to rate it I'd probably give it a 83% or so--good movie, but not a classic.
November 24, 2013
the best con cinema ever, stanley at his youth is vision at its fresh best
November 16, 2013
I think the ending was a little too ridiculous, but the rest of the film was a good noir.
November 2, 2013
Fantastic heist film that deserves recognition. Kubrick shows his masterful director's hand was there even early in his career. So many modern day films (the opening from The Dark Knight, Reservoir Dogs) owe much to this film.
October 16, 2013
I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but as a genre, heist films are usually a good bet for me. This one certainly didn't disappoint. It's odd watching it now, being more of a generation used to watching the films that this one certainly influenced as opposed to being there at the beginning, but I don't think that it's lost anything on its journey through the decades. There's nothing, that screamed "Kubrick" to me, but maybe that's part of Kubrick's talent, but it is a solidly put together film. There's not a shot out of place, not that there could afford to be with a running time under 90 minutes, but while it all seems to go by in a bit of a blur, I can guarantee you that, even on first watch, there's something, if not several things, about this one that will stick with you.
October 1, 2013
often overshadowed in the kubrick history because of its unknowness, but still a breathtaking film
October 1, 2013
Pure Kubrick craftsmanship, technically flawless/everything else pretty dry. In just 1 hr 23 mins, we have a nice an' neat romp of an airtight plan painfully rued by human error. Only Kubrick could deliver this so finely tuned.