66% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Sleepy Hollow: Season 2
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Killing Lincoln Reviews

April 29, 2014
A nice docudrama film that tells the events of Abraham Lincoln's assassination and the final days of assassin John Wilkes Booth.
November 14, 2013
Not that good of a portrayal of the Lincoln assassination in my opinion. The acting here isn't terrible but it just wasn't interesting to watch these unknown actors play these people. First off the actor playing John Wilkes Booth just had a weird voice but he did good on doing the stuff he did in the documentary. The actor playing Abraham Lincoln wasn't memorable and it felt like he was going through the motions to get to his death in the film. Everybody else was forgettable as well. Before watching this I watched Steven Spielburg's Lincoln, that movie had top class acting, a very spot on portrayal of Abraham Lincoln, and had top notch directing. When watching this after watching Lincoln, I can see very easily that the acting here was a major step down. I'm not comparing this entirely to Lincoln, I just thought that the documentary could have had better portrayals of characters. Things I liked about the movie was Tom Hanks narrating it and towards the end it was very interesting to see what had happened to John Wilkes Booth after he had assassinated President Lincoln. Overall it wasn't a bad documentary, I just thought it could have been better than it was. There is a TV movie called The Day Lincoln Was Shot, it was a film that is also over the Lincoln assassination. I found it to be a close to great film with a better portrayal of both Abraham Lincoln and John Wilkes Booth and it has an emotional impact that I found to be absent throughout Killing Lincoln.
July 23, 2013
It was alright, but nothing memorable. The costumes and cinematography are unquestionably good, and Jesse Johnson is amazing as John Wilkes Booth. However, the film clearly couldn't decide if it wanted to be a documentary or drama. The "docudrama" thing doesn't work if the audience is keeping up with the story. Aside from Johnson, and maybe Billy Campbell as well, the rest of the cast wasn't terribly memorable, and I felt Geraldine Hughes' Mary Todd Lincoln was grossly over-acted. The film had too much of Spielberg's "Lincoln" on it's shoulders (although I actually felt it's plot was far more interesting), and I thought it was trying to hard to live up to it. Only with d-list actors/director and Tom Hanks narrating. So much more could have been done with a movie about Lincoln's murder. It's okay, and it's worth a watch at least, but I feel an opportunity was wasted.
October 13, 2013
An informative documentary. Would be good to use as a resource for teaching history maybe.
October 11, 2013
I believe it's an accurate documentary. Quite different than Spielberg's version. They tried to make an unusual storyline, is quite cool, but didn't really workout for me.
September 19, 2013
Written by Bill O'Reilly? Not interested.
June 23, 2013
Initially, I was put off when Killing Lincoln turned out to be more of a TV documentary with high production value reenactments than a feature film. With the exception of Billy Campbell as President Lincoln, some of the acting wasn't up to par with the cinematography. Furthemore, having Tom Hanks as commentator and "host" of the program seemed out of place, disrupting the flow of the narrative. But after a while, I began to appreciate the wealth of insight and the painstaking research into the history about the assassination. This, by the way, was one of the last productions the late, great Tony Scott worked on with his brother, Ridley. Definitely recommended.