The thing that ruined it for me

Now please note that I don't mind political or philosophical messages put into entertainment. Even if I disagree with a piece's overall agenda, I still support the creator's right to express their views.
What I DO mind is when a movie has so little faith in its audience's intelligence that it needs to walk them through everything and crowbar it into nearly every scene even when it doesn't fit. This movie is so concerned that people won't get its point that it needs to remind you what it's supposed to be about every two scenes.
Mike Kowzun
12-1-2012 06:52 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Gil B.

Gil Blackman

I don't quite understand how a movie can be boring because it's mostly dialouge... If anything be mad at the trailers for pusing it as an action crime movie, but if you got up and walked out that probably just means its not your type of film. I wont go as far to say those people only like Micheal Bay films but i just don't personally see the correlation between no action and being boring. I agree with being annoyed at the constant political background noise, but other than that I thought it was a decent DRAMA, and a bit refreshing that someone depicted a slightly more realistic side of crime (meaning no automatic weapon fire in the middle of a street or highly trained bank robbers with zip-lines). Again this is only my opinion but i would much rather watch 2 hours of dialouge telling some sort of story rather than explosion, followed by gun battle, followed by car flip. But then again I'm sure someone will here will take my difference in opinion as a personal attack, because of course everyone on the planet likes all the same kind of movies and if you don't share the same OPINION your an idiot.

Mar 31 - 04:14 AM

Dan Sitter

Dan Sitter

I have not seen this movie yet, but I want to because Dominik made one of the best movies of the first decade....Assassination of Jesse James...I will follow this filmmaker in the same manner I follow Paul Thomas Anderson.

Mar 4 - 11:35 PM

Adriel Bennett

Adriel Bennett

Every picture I see of the peope giving negative reviews to KTS is unfailingly of someone pushing 50 years of age. This is a gorgeously crafted film and the finest straight crime film I've ever seen.
You have been conditioned for your mouth to water at car chases and explosions, and instead you got a rare glimpse into the lives of criminals so tight, hard and starkly realistic you couldn't handle it. Every line of dialogue was there for a reason, you just took all the political messages at face value. Here: It's not a coincidence Jackie Cogan shares initials with Jesus Christ, and in the very first scene he's introduced, "when the man comes around" is playing - a song about JC coming to decide how the "sinners" will be "dealt with". (keep in mind I interpreted this as an atheist)

Jan 22 - 11:51 AM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

So someone's opinion on a polarizing film doesn't align with yours, they're "conditioned for their mouth to water at car chases and explosions"? What are you, 15?

And congratulations: You recognize heavy-handed, shoehorned symbolism. Here's a MENSA certificate.

Feb 20 - 10:35 AM

Seb M

Seb Moore

I agree 110%
this movies political agenda is about as subtle as a bat to the face.

Jan 2 - 04:08 PM

David Clark

David Clark

Most 'professional' reviewers loved this movie. So boring, so uninteresting. Talk, talk, talk talk talk. I guess I'm just not smart enough.

Dec 14 - 08:54 AM

Joe Ross

Joe Ross

Professional reviewers like movies with strong liberal anti-capitalistic messages. I walk out of this movie. I get enough political commentary from the news media.

Dec 23 - 03:17 PM

Tom Little

Tom Little

Wrong. Professional reviewers are assigned a certain number of movies to review per month and are paid on their opinion. Joe, step up into the role. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Feb 3 - 02:59 AM

momerc88

G Mo

I find the comments in this thread surprising. It makes me wonder what you think of Michael Bay movies.

Dec 11 - 12:17 PM

Craig Allmond

Craig Allmond

the only good thing about going to see this movie was that i didn't have to pay for it, someone took me out for my birthday. some birthday present. i started falling asleep about half way through. maybe they should have made two movies, one a political film and the other a low-rent mobster film, because trying to mix the two together failed terribly.

Dec 9 - 05:08 AM

Pat Roberts

Pat Roberts

What ruined it for me was walking in the door.

Dec 8 - 04:47 PM

Joel Levy

Joel Levy

Painful to watch. Non stop pointless chatter from characters who you couldn't care less about. Name should be changed to " Killing the audience slowly"

Dec 4 - 03:49 PM

Westley Cornwell

Westley Cornwell

Go watch Twilight again so we can stop hearing your whiny comments.

Dec 4 - 01:51 AM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

I love how since I have problems with this movie, I must like Twilight. The intelligence and class of the Rotten Tomatoes community astounds me once again.

Dec 4 - 07:03 AM

Tom Little

Tom Little

Yep. I don't mean to appear so often on this thread but I will vehemently defend an individual (who by the way didn't really like this film all that much himself) who also intelligently addressed the film's major issues. When the Twilight/Killing Them Softly comparisons are being made, I just have to laugh out loud. For you Twilight fans, that's translated as LOL.

Feb 3 - 02:57 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

They will never fail to astound. In my opinion, RT went down in quality when they merged with Facebook. But it's fun to read some of the more ridiculous comments, like all the "go watch Twilight" or this classic, "go back to your Michael Bay movies".

Mar 29 - 11:58 PM

Joanie Dudley

Joanie Dudley

I agree, Mike 100%, I just don't understand all the positive reviews. Maybe I missed something when I walked out on it 40 minutes into it!

Dec 3 - 07:33 PM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

I didn't think it was awful. The dialogue was sharp and I dug the cinematography as well as the performances, but the constant "Hey, look at the allegory we made! Isn't it cool?" stuff got on my nerves pretty bad.

Dec 3 - 07:45 PM

Seb M

Seb Moore

Yes! Finally, a voice of reason

Jan 2 - 04:10 PM

Jao Romero

Jao Romero

i agree. moralizing so heavy handedly is annoying. it insults the audience by telling them you think they're too stupid for subtlety.

Mar 19 - 09:04 AM

Peter J.

Peter Johnson

Just really bad execution. You could see glimmers of potential of decent stuff behind the production. But as it was -- just awful.

Dec 2 - 11:04 PM

Legio Ix

Legio Ix

It was just a bad movie, figures most of the critics called it fresh.
I am actually contacting the theater and asking them to pull it, it is a disservice to their patrons to take money for this.

Dec 1 - 10:28 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

lol I see losing the white house bid has given Mitt Romney more time to troll the internet.

Dec 2 - 04:19 PM

Joanie Dudley

Joanie Dudley

Well the four of us who walked out on it went to management c/o how awful it was and got 4 free movie tickets! Everyone speak up and maybe the theatres will pull it!

Dec 3 - 07:37 PM

Mike Gardner

Mike Gardner

asking them to pull the movie??!! you gotta be kidding! This wasn't an Adam Sandler movie!

Dec 4 - 11:52 AM

Tom Little

Tom Little

Fuck you, Legio. Leggo your ego and go watch Garden State a few hundred times and whack off to it. Use your tears, of course, as lubricant.

Feb 3 - 02:49 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

And they will LAUGH at you.

Mar 30 - 12:00 AM

Luanna Stroh

Luanna Stroh

Just saw it. It was boring, pointlessly violent, and it demeaned the human race. It's true that our politicians are feeding us pablum but that's hardly news. Anyone with a brain knows it and doesn't need to have the "knowledge" spelled out. We, as an audience, were talked down to. And by the way, where was the comedy?

Dec 1 - 08:12 PM

Linda Shaw

Linda Shaw

Well said. And I didn't see the comedy either.

Dec 3 - 10:34 AM

Mike Kowzun

Mike Kowzun

Was there supposed to be comedy?

Dec 3 - 06:00 PM

Mike Gardner

Mike Gardner

How could anyone see this as a comedy. It was a very violent graphic film of low-lifes. No funny at all.

Dec 4 - 11:54 AM

Tom Little

Tom Little

No shit Mike. I loved what you had to say about this film, although I respectfully disagree. I loved KTS, and I did indeed think the political message was a bit heavy-handed. But anyone who says or foolishly thinks this was meant to be a comedy has apparently been walking into the wrong theater. Luanna, how stoned were you when you went to see this thing?

Feb 3 - 02:52 AM

James Laabs

James Laabs

Luanna, there actually was one funny moment, when the hillbilly tried to blow up the car. I think most people in the audience were already asleep by that time.

Dec 4 - 08:59 AM

Pat Roberts

Pat Roberts

At least the actors didn't have to dress up for work.

Dec 8 - 04:49 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile