Kin-Dza-Dza - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kin-Dza-Dza Reviews

Harlequin68
½ August 27, 2014
In "Kin-Dza-Dza!" Vladimir(Stanislav Lyubshin) is on his way to the market when Gedevan(Levan Gabriadze) asks for his help in assisting a homeless person(Anatoli Serenko) who claims to be from another planet. And then to their dismay find out the hard way that he was nowhere near as crazy as he sounded when they materialize in an unfamiliar desert. Vladimir at least holds on to the hope that they are still on earth, at least until Be(Yury Yakoviev) and Uef(Yevgeny Leonov) show up in their flying contraption and are not able to understand a word they say.

"Kin-Dza-Dza1" is an entertaining and imaginative entry in the long list of speculative fiction going back to Jonathan Swift to satirize society through fantastical settings. In this case, it adds a distinctly late Soviet flavor to the recipe of its observations of social mores, with pretty good effects for the time. And even better is the fact that this movie comes with its very own on-screen glossary. Granted it comes halfway through, long after it would have been good to know what 'etsilop' means.
July 24, 2008
I found this in a list of the top science fiction movies on IMDb and thought I would check it out. At first I was like 'o.O' but then I fell in love with it and as such is in my top 20 movies of all time.
shitfaced8
July 21, 2010
One of the best Science Fiction movies I've ever seen and criminally underwatched. Made in Russia in the mid 80's, and a cult classic there, this has never been relesed on DVD in Europe or North America and there's been no official English translation (the version I saw was fan-subbed). The story follows the misadventures of two earthlings who find themselves on a distant planet called Kin-Dza-Dza, after being transported there by what they thought was a crazy street person. Upn arrivingon this planet they try to find their way back to earth but are confronted with a race of people with no compassion who only want to rip them off, and follow a ridiculous class system. Completely unique and darkly humourous throughout. While you won't find this in any videostores or on TV anytime soon, it is viewable on Google video and I'd recommend all sci-fi fan's check it out. You won't be dissappointed.
April 2, 2011
Minimalistic sci-fi in which two Russian strangers are suddenly transported to another planet. While trying to survive, they explore the strange planet's social and political structure. The whole film feels realistically gritty with some Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy undertones. The soundtrack is amazing, the characters are diverse and interesting, and there is a keen sense of humor displayed as well.
May 31, 2008
Very charming low-budget Russian sci fi film that's also a bit of a quirky comedy. I was grinning almost the whole time watching.
Harlequin68
½ August 27, 2014

April 28, 2012
CULT Russian Science-Fiction movie from the 80s in which two guys gets teleported from early 80s Russia to a weird desert planet where (VERY) curious dudes fly over in cheap wooden cabins at 500 miles/hr
A blend of Mad Max, Fellini, Bunuel and Besson's 'Le Dernier Combat'.. in Russian.
One of the most bizarre and interesting flick having post-apocalypse settings.
Very unique and quite brilliant.
March 8, 2012
Soviet classic. Many people might not like it, the movie is slow and strange, it's a minimalistic approach to sci-fi but it tells it's story well and its world feels so alive
July 9, 2011
A brilliant film. nuf said
June 19, 2011
nagyon, nagyon fura szovjet sci-fi
½ June 4, 2011
A completely irreverent, unrestrained, grotesque, and hilarious parody on just about everything possible. The whole movie is like one fantastic, extended joke. Definitely not for everyone, the humor is pretty complex at times, and there are a lot of social references which many people will not get.
April 2, 2011
½ April 1, 2011
a bizzare and funny movie :) altho, remains to be seen what is the actual point of the story :P
July 24, 2008
February 4, 2011
An unforgettably original, funny, and surrealistic Soviet sci-fi comedy. Experience this!
January 14, 2011
I kept having a smile on my face when watching it. It's like looking at a beautiful girl covered with dirt and dressed in rags. Your attention keeps focused on the beauty underneath.
Underneath the cheap effects, the odd hops in continuity and other curious mishaps, this remains a fine peace of art.

It's time someone organises a flash mob in which every participant does the squat and says "koo".
½ November 11, 2010
Hilarious, clever, inventive, visually pleasing, and surreal. In a word: "Koo!"
October 16, 2010
Kin-Dza-Dza is a rather strange, but very fascinating and philosophical, not to mention unusual Soviet science-fiction movie from 1986. The special effects are really basic but as already said by others, it matters little when the main value instead lies in great acting, atmosphere, story and message. The movie is quite a journey through ingredients such as time-travelling, societal structures and cultural misunderstandings as two Soviet citizens by mistake are being teleported from Moscow to the planet Plyuk where they find a post-apocalyptic steam punk-inspired dystopia. Very interesting movie if you are a fan of slow, epic longrunners in the genre of low-tech Sci-Fi flicks. And, it is Russian ;)
shitfaced8
July 21, 2010
½ May 5, 2010
Weird sci-fi flick. Liked the camera work, the story, the orginality and the two-part separation. It's a bit long and repitative, but the surrealness and silliness is great and nearly trustworthy. Still, something did not work for me. Maybe it's better if you're Russian,or maybe it's not as interesting nearly 25 years after it's debut. Good, but it's not a masterpiece in my opinon. "Koo!"