63% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

King Creole Reviews

Jason O

August 15, 2009
King Creole was the first Elvis movie that I saw and I found out it was a good movie. Unlike many singers who try out their ability at acting, Elvis is actually a pretty good actor. Before watching King Creole, I never watched any of Elvis's movies because I thought that they would all be musicals and just be a bunch of people singing and acting crazy. But after watching King Creole I found out I was wrong. It was a good drama movie and now I understand why Elvis was in so many movies, not because he was a popular singer but he could also be a great actor. Walter Matthau and the rest of the supporting actors and actresses also did a good job.
It's about how Elvis became a singer at a local club and gaining fame for his ability while trying to stay away from a group of punks who threatened him if he didn't cooperate. It's an all around great movie and I recommend it to anyone. Now I'll probably give a lot more Elvis movies a chance after seeing King Creole. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. It's still the only Elvis movie I've ever seen. I've never been a huge fan of his, I just like a few of his songs, but wouldn't mind seeing some more of his films.
jjnxn
jjnxn

September 26, 2007
Elvis's best movie
garyX
garyX

June 3, 2007
Probably the closest you're going to get to a "proper" film starring Elvis. It has some semblance of plot, the B&W photography is nice and the songs do not seem quite so intrusive. It was obviously trying to cash in one the burgeoning "teen" bandwagon, but not bad.
Michael G

October 31, 2006
My favorite Elvis movie. Kind of a James Dean story but Matthau is fun to watch.
Luz12961
Luz12961

August 2, 2007
Elvis at his best!
June 4, 2009
I like that they did not colorize this one. Elvis sings in the style that I would expect from him. Some of the best acting in an Elvis moive too, with a great story.
csbaca1
August 13, 2008
Pretty much the typical Elvis rise-to-fame plot which borrows heavily from "Rebel Without a Cause". I was pretty impressed with Elvis' performance in this one,very believable. Very good cinematography highlights this one....probably his best movie overall. My complaint is that they barely play any of "Hard Headed Woman" which I feel is the best song on this soundtrack!!
manly500usa
February 26, 2008
Danny Fisher, young delinquent, flunks out of high school. He quits his job as a busboy in a nightclub, and one night he gets the chance to perform. Success is imminent and the local crime boss Maxie Fields wants to hire him to perform at his night club The Blue Shade. Danny refuses, but Fields won't take no for an answer.
Priscilla977
July 11, 2006
Elvis' role was originally intended for James Dean. But Dean died and the role was presented to Elvis. I love it, and it was the only one of his movies that he actually liked.
starlett2005
June 7, 2013
King Creole is an excellent film. It is about Danny Fisher who takes a job as a singer in the King Creole nightclub to support his unemployed father. Elvis Presley and Carolyn Jones give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Michael Curtiz did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and music.
Diana D.
April 5, 2013
Fantastic. The soundtrack is enjoyable, and probably his best movie soundtrack. But the movie is just fantastic. You'll completely forget all about Danny Fisher being played by Elvis Presley. This film is extremely dramatic, so if you're looking for a light film, go for G.I. Blues. The scenery is amazingly beautiful; the fact that it's black and white really creates a mood for the film. I really enjoyed watching this. If you're looking for a good Elvis film, this is the one. He even said himself that this was his favorite. Really--it's good!
January 31, 2012
Easily one of the greatest Elvis films. The noir streets, acting, and songs are top notch here. The story seems to run on doing the same things over and over again.
November 26, 2011
Elvis could act. Say what you like - no matter how inexperienced he was (no acting training at all), when given the chance, Elvis was a natural at acting. Watch King Creole, Wild in the Country, Follow That Dream, Flaming Star, Change Of Habit, and then try to say he couldn't act. You can't.

The plot/script of King Creole, while no Oscar winner, is better than average '50's fare and is certainly one of the best Elvis would ever get. King Creole is dark film noir set in the backdrop of the French Quarter in New Orleans, with Elvis as Danny Fisher, a twice high school dropout trying to find whatever means of a buck for himself, his sister and his unemployed father. Matthau is interesting as the very bad crime boss, and the unfortunate Ronnie is ably done by Carolyn Jones.

This film, with Elvis' three other pre-Army films, give us a wistful glimpse of what could have, and should have been, if he had been taken more seriously. If it hadn't been for his conniving manager, who exploited his career and took over much of his professional, creative, and personal life, Elvis may have had the respectable reputation as both competent actor and singer as Sinatra had. Sadly, this was never realized: his output as actor is remembered solely from the many horrible '60's musicals that Col. Parker forced him into.

If Elvis had truly pushed for better scripts like King Creole, he could easily have been the kind of actor more in line with the James Deans, Marlon Brandos, or Tony Curtises he admired. Instead, the rock n' roll rawness that was present in King Creole and Jailhouse Rock was gradually sterilized, until he became the polite, bumbling man reduced to singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" to children. It's not hard to see that his growing disappointment, so obvious in his later films, played it's part in his later demise.
May 30, 2007
A lot better than it should be. Gorgeous black and white photography and absurd scenarios designed to get Elvis singing as often as possible. Thoroughly enjoyable.
The King Elvis
August 5, 2009
This is Elvis' best performance. He got rid of that cheesy, 60's musical feel and rose to a solid acting job. The story plot is average, but after finishing it, you realize that this is a good movie, that is worth seeing the greatest musician and most famous man act in.
April 2, 2011
think this has got to be my favorite elvis movie <3, i used to watch it over and over when i was a kid, love it! =) x
September 28, 2010
Easily Elvis' best film LONG LIVE THE KING!