Kingdom of Heaven Reviews

½ June 21, 2015
Underwhelming and clumsy action scenes, little to no depth, but still enough to keep me entertained.
½ May 31, 2015
Good acting, good action, and high quality production values, but pretty much nothing else. This movie was incredibly boring to me. Between the action, it just felt like there was just a whole lot of nothing. I give points only for the factors I mentioned above, and nothing else.

67%
May 16, 2015
The backstory of the movie is the eternal battle over the city of Jerusalem. That city is of course a tempting subject for makers of adventure movies given that it has been destroyed at least twice, been attacked 52 times, besieged 23 times and changed ownership 44 times.

Balian de Ibelin comes to Jerusalem (not really of his own will mind you) during a time when it was in Christian hands only to discover that most of the Christian noblemen are arrogant, warmongering assholes. Not only that but they are stupid beyond belief. The results are disastrous of course. The movie blurb is actually not very accurate. When Balian is at the point were he has to defend the people there is no peace, fragile or otherwise.

The movie is quite well done, no question about that. The scenery, the acting, all of it is on the level of a very good movie. It is not really an action movie though. More of a adventure/drama movie. Balian's journey towards the final confrontation is a rather slow process and it is only towards then end, during the siege of Jerusalem, that the movie truly heats up on the action front. The siege of Jerusalem with its siege machines is quite impressive though. Not overdone with ridiculous CGI but well done.

It is also a depressing movie. The Christian noblemen, their disastrous behaviors and the equally disastrous end result makes me have a hard time to really like this movie. It is a good movie but I did not enjoy it as much as it deserves.
March 20, 2015
A slow paced movie, with an attention to detail that resembles Kubrick. Stunning photography aswell. [Director´s Cut]
March 11, 2015
I can't believe this is getting such low ratings... The characters, the lines, the wonder, the values, the message, the story; it's all brilliant, it's a master piece. It lacks depth? More like there is a lack of depth in the brain of those who believe that. It is not just another sword and sandal epic, it is much more than that. This film highlights the greed and corruption of man in an age long ago. It teaches forgiveness and understanding and encourages us to learn from our past mistakes; it has a true message. Now we just have bad guy fights good guy, but look at that character depth, look at that story depth, what a deep and meaningful masterpiece. Its just wrong when someone tries to make something special, something different and it is bombarded with terrible reviews for not being conventional enough. Maybe look at the meaning of depth and try find how that relates to your repetitive, criteria based response.
May 26, 2009
Flawed epic that is often some of the best work Ridley Scott has ever done but misses being a masterpiece due to some Hollywood contrivances & poor characterizations. Orlando Bloom is okay but bland in the lead role of Balian, which mostly suffers from the Hollywood need to cast a young heartthrob over the actual Balian, who is far more interesting. Most of the best performances come from the more historically accurate roles, from an un-credited Edward Norton as King Baldwin IV (displaying a regal intelligence, despite acting behind a silver mask) and Ghassan Massoud's Saladin, who captures his nobility & brilliance as a military commander. In fact, if Scott had stuck closer to actual history, it would have been much better overall, as both Guy & Reynald, the chief villians of the film, come off as two-dimensional. Thankfully, there is a director's cut that balances out the film more, though still suffers from the main flaws. This is still a gorgeously produced film, perfectly recreating the world of the Crusades with some brilliant battle sequences (the Siege of Jerusalem gives 'Lord of the Rings' a run for its money). While not perfect, this is epic film-making still worth watching.
June 22, 2013
Ghassan Massoud is the sole exception to the fact that this film was in dire need of interesting characters. It tries to be objective about the crusades and ends up distant from the characters; ultimately, an impressive spectacle that will not move you.
February 15, 2015
I thought it was a terrible movie. The characters were hard to keep track of, and the screenwriter didn't do a good job of developing the characters or even making the story understandable. Overall, a disappointment for a Ridley Scott film.
January 31, 2015
One of the best films of 2005! Orlando Blooms best performance!
January 14, 2015
Awful movie...I want that piece of my life back
February 17, 2011
I've always been a fan of the crusades, and although the story line is basic, the scenes of epic warfare (portrayed extremely well) definitely make up for it.
*The Director's Cut really makes a difference in the film's quality by providing it with more story and character development.
January 2, 2015
Ridley Scott has made tons of movies about people killing each other in the past, but this one might be the least memorable of all. I admire the style and the battle sequences are often spectacular. But a lack of character and emotional depths made it hard for me to care about anything that happens in the film. Kingdom of Heaven has some moments, but in the end a very hollow, boring historical drama.
½ December 20, 2014
This is a failed great movie.
There is something missing.
August 27, 2007
2.5/5 for the theatrical cut and 3.5/5 for the far superior directors cut which far better fleshes out its story and characters. A time when Christian and Muslims fought for civilzation. Just like today. This movie recreates the time period in a beautiful fashion though its story has a slightly anti-Christian bias that annoyed me vilifying the Nights Templar while sparing Islamic Jihadists such treatments. Its performances are mostly very strong and the movies message of the dangers of religious extremism are as relevant now as they were in the time the movie takes place
December 3, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. There was nothing i didn't like about this movie. I could watch it over and over again.
½ November 24, 2011
i personally loved the movie. i probably watched it 40 days in a row. i see that allot of people don't care for it, or they feel its like a fourth Lord of The Rings movie, or that the feelings and emotions of the time period were off. here's something towards everyone who has nothing better to do than troll other people work. have any of you people made a movie where you actually had a budget. it is incredibly hard to make a film, even harder to make one that's actually good. Ridley Scott has accomplished both those things. And on another note, this is the best film about the Crusades out there. if any of you haters care to make one that can top this one, then by my guest.
June 2, 2009
Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

This is another great Ridley Scott movie and one of my favorites. What is it about how Ridley Scott does the dark ages? He just puts you there so nicely. I love that about him. What I don't like is that every few years he comes out with a new Director's Cut of his movies. It's gotten to the point that Scott will film four hours worth of movie, just so he can re-release it with new stuff edited in.

When I upgraded to the BluRay version of this movie, the 144 minute version went to 194 butt-numbing minutes. Personally, the theatrical version was just fine and the added parts didn't really do much for the movie. They were nice but did we really need it? I don't think so. If you've got the DVD version, especially the one with the extras disc, don't feel like you're missing out by not having this version.

A village blacksmith, Balian (Orlando Bloom) is confronted with his estranged Father, Godfrey of Ibelin (Liam Neeson) and is asked to come to the Crusades with him. Filled with the loss of his Wife's suicide and wanting to make a new life for himself, he follows along.

He learns to become a knight and hold onto his moral center despite all of the radicals around him. He also meets and falls in love with a beautiful woman, the princess Sibylla (Eva Green).

Although this is not historically accurate, it does show us how things may have been perceived during the Crusades from both the Christian and Muslim perspectives of King Baldwin (Edward Norton) and Saladin (Ghassan Massoud), and it is quite a swashbuckler in the bargain.

Plus it deals with the honor of a knight to do right, even if it isn't the easiest way out.
½ December 2, 2013
If "Gladiator" is Ridley Scott's "El Cid", a crowd pleasing heroic epic that speaks of unity and redemption whilst still being truly emotionally engaging and thoughtful enough (with a heroic Spaniard played by...well...not a Spaniard.), than "Kingdom of Heaven" must be his "The Fall of the Roman Empire". Not quite as good as its predecessor, in my opinion, but ultimately a great beast of its own as well.

The biggest misconception I have found surrounding this film, as praise by some and scorn by others, is that this film is Anti-Christian if not Anti-Religion/Belief altogether. Frankly put, it's not really. What it is against is the corruption in such institutions, and the what feels like never ending conflict between the different groups. As the Knight Hospitaler puts it, a major theme of the film is about that what God would want for us is to be good people in the mind and heart. Within those is the true Kingdom of Heaven, as some would at least see it. What God cares about would be whether or not we choose to be good or bad people, not rituals and show.
½ June 16, 2012
Director's cut is exceptionally well made.