Kingdom of Heaven Reviews

July 22, 2015
I know the writing is not that great but I do love myself some good old battle some good medieval and historical background.Plus despite its lack of depth,the movie is very involving!
July 16, 2015
(Director's Cut) This is no lackluster blockbuster action epic, no "simple blood-and-guts, sword-and-sandals spectacle." No, this is the real deal. Ridley Scott's most emotionally riveting film since "Blade Runner," and his most visually intriguing since "Legend." It's the story of a young blacksmith who pursues his "destiny" to the Middle East during one of the Crusades. But this isn't a djingoistic, us-against-them tale of righteous crusaders vs. evil infidels (from either perspective, the Christian or the Muslim). It is, despite its brutal (and well-executed) violence, a haunting argument for peace and tolerance. And in that regard, it's about as subtle as possible. The cinematography is exceptional, the acting profound and in many cases moving--it is, I dare say, Orlando Bloom's finest performance, all quiet turmoil and controlled intellect--and Harry Gregson-Williams's score is superb, one of the best in recent memory even. I'm not really sure what movie the naysayers are watching (although having not seen the original theatrical cut, which is 50 minutes shorter, it's a safe bet something is missing). I was enthralled, entranced, and, if I may be so bold, uplifted throughout the whole thing.
June 17, 2007
Apart from a few good moments, I felt this film didn't really allow us to get to know the characters in depth.
½ June 21, 2015
Underwhelming and clumsy action scenes, little to no depth, but still enough to keep me entertained.
½ May 31, 2015
Good acting, good action, and high quality production values, but pretty much nothing else. This movie was incredibly boring to me. Between the action, it just felt like there was just a whole lot of nothing. I give points only for the factors I mentioned above, and nothing else.

67%
May 16, 2015
The backstory of the movie is the eternal battle over the city of Jerusalem. That city is of course a tempting subject for makers of adventure movies given that it has been destroyed at least twice, been attacked 52 times, besieged 23 times and changed ownership 44 times.

Balian de Ibelin comes to Jerusalem (not really of his own will mind you) during a time when it was in Christian hands only to discover that most of the Christian noblemen are arrogant, warmongering assholes. Not only that but they are stupid beyond belief. The results are disastrous of course. The movie blurb is actually not very accurate. When Balian is at the point were he has to defend the people there is no peace, fragile or otherwise.

The movie is quite well done, no question about that. The scenery, the acting, all of it is on the level of a very good movie. It is not really an action movie though. More of a adventure/drama movie. Balian's journey towards the final confrontation is a rather slow process and it is only towards then end, during the siege of Jerusalem, that the movie truly heats up on the action front. The siege of Jerusalem with its siege machines is quite impressive though. Not overdone with ridiculous CGI but well done.

It is also a depressing movie. The Christian noblemen, their disastrous behaviors and the equally disastrous end result makes me have a hard time to really like this movie. It is a good movie but I did not enjoy it as much as it deserves.
March 20, 2015
A slow paced movie, with an attention to detail that resembles Kubrick. Stunning photography aswell. [Director´s Cut]
March 11, 2015
I can't believe this is getting such low ratings... The characters, the lines, the wonder, the values, the message, the story; it's all brilliant, it's a master piece. It lacks depth? More like there is a lack of depth in the brain of those who believe that. It is not just another sword and sandal epic, it is much more than that. This film highlights the greed and corruption of man in an age long ago. It teaches forgiveness and understanding and encourages us to learn from our past mistakes; it has a true message. Now we just have bad guy fights good guy, but look at that character depth, look at that story depth, what a deep and meaningful masterpiece. Its just wrong when someone tries to make something special, something different and it is bombarded with terrible reviews for not being conventional enough. Maybe look at the meaning of depth and try find how that relates to your repetitive, criteria based response.
May 26, 2009
Flawed epic that is often some of the best work Ridley Scott has ever done but misses being a masterpiece due to some Hollywood contrivances & poor characterizations. Orlando Bloom is okay but bland in the lead role of Balian, which mostly suffers from the Hollywood need to cast a young heartthrob over the actual Balian, who is far more interesting. Most of the best performances come from the more historically accurate roles, from an un-credited Edward Norton as King Baldwin IV (displaying a regal intelligence, despite acting behind a silver mask) and Ghassan Massoud's Saladin, who captures his nobility & brilliance as a military commander. In fact, if Scott had stuck closer to actual history, it would have been much better overall, as both Guy & Reynald, the chief villians of the film, come off as two-dimensional. Thankfully, there is a director's cut that balances out the film more, though still suffers from the main flaws. This is still a gorgeously produced film, perfectly recreating the world of the Crusades with some brilliant battle sequences (the Siege of Jerusalem gives 'Lord of the Rings' a run for its money). While not perfect, this is epic film-making still worth watching.
June 22, 2013
Ghassan Massoud is the sole exception to the fact that this film was in dire need of interesting characters. It tries to be objective about the crusades and ends up distant from the characters; ultimately, an impressive spectacle that will not move you.
February 15, 2015
I thought it was a terrible movie. The characters were hard to keep track of, and the screenwriter didn't do a good job of developing the characters or even making the story understandable. Overall, a disappointment for a Ridley Scott film.
January 31, 2015
One of the best films of 2005! Orlando Blooms best performance!
January 14, 2015
Awful movie...I want that piece of my life back
February 17, 2011
I've always been a fan of the crusades, and although the story line is basic, the scenes of epic warfare (portrayed extremely well) definitely make up for it.
*The Director's Cut really makes a difference in the film's quality by providing it with more story and character development.
January 2, 2015
Ridley Scott has made tons of movies about people killing each other in the past, but this one might be the least memorable of all. I admire the style and the battle sequences are often spectacular. But a lack of character and emotional depths made it hard for me to care about anything that happens in the film. Kingdom of Heaven has some moments, but in the end a very hollow, boring historical drama.
½ December 20, 2014
This is a failed great movie.
There is something missing.
August 27, 2007
2.5/5 for the theatrical cut and 3.5/5 for the far superior directors cut which far better fleshes out its story and characters. A time when Christian and Muslims fought for civilzation. Just like today. This movie recreates the time period in a beautiful fashion though its story has a slightly anti-Christian bias that annoyed me vilifying the Nights Templar while sparing Islamic Jihadists such treatments. Its performances are mostly very strong and the movies message of the dangers of religious extremism are as relevant now as they were in the time the movie takes place
December 3, 2014
My favorite movie of all time. There was nothing i didn't like about this movie. I could watch it over and over again.
½ November 24, 2011
i personally loved the movie. i probably watched it 40 days in a row. i see that allot of people don't care for it, or they feel its like a fourth Lord of The Rings movie, or that the feelings and emotions of the time period were off. here's something towards everyone who has nothing better to do than troll other people work. have any of you people made a movie where you actually had a budget. it is incredibly hard to make a film, even harder to make one that's actually good. Ridley Scott has accomplished both those things. And on another note, this is the best film about the Crusades out there. if any of you haters care to make one that can top this one, then by my guest.