Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
November 14, 2013
One that really stands out for Charles Bronson is that he has had a great career playing some truly intense roles. His films are brutal, action packed and bad ass. With Kinjite: Forbidden subjects, he delivers yet another top notch performance in an action packed roller coaster ride where he plays a cop determined to destroy a prostitution ring that employ underage girls. Although nothing like some of his more memorable action films, this is nonetheless a worthwhile viewing for diehard Bronson fans. This is not a perfect film, but for what it is it's an entertaining ride that has all the ingredients of what makes a Charles Bronson special. The acting is decent, but what keeps the ball rolling is the usual performance that Bronson gives, which is of course the film's strong point. The plot is a bit derivative from a few films, but nonetheless if you're in the mood for an entertaining action film, then this is a good little film worth checking out. Sure, it has plenty of issues, but it's your typical Bronson flick, so you know what you're in for. There things that could have been improved of course, but if you enjoy Bronson films, then you won't mind its sheer cheesiness. By this time in Bronson's career, his films were increasingly tongue in cheek, and despite the serious plot of stopping a prostitution ring, the film does have its moment where its tongue in cheek and quite cheesy. If you see it, you'll know what I mean. Nonetheless, in the end it's part of the aspect of Bronson movies and that's why they're quite entertaining. Kinjite is a good film with an interesting story, and like I said before, delivers everything you'd expect from a Charles Bronson film.
ScoopOnline
December 19, 2009
There was one thing I liked about Charles Bronson Movies when I watched. Mess with him and you will pray to commit suicide. His movies were often very Brutal like his character seeking for revenge.
cancercapricorn2002
July 4, 2009
******Some Spoilers Here************

Bronson plays Crowe, a Los Angeles cop heading for retirement who has developed a consuming passion to nail a local pimp, Duke, whos speciality is teenage prostitution. Crowe begins at full throttle, torturing a businessman found engaging in sado-masochistic sex with a minor, it is implied by turning a large and forbidding dildo on him. Not surprisingly, Crowe worries when he gets home that he is becoming as bad as the scum he hunts, yet at home he seems more worried by the fact that his teenage daughter is now indulging in heavy-petting with boys her own age (Crowe's wife has a more liberal, tolerant attitude). In the meantime, the film is following the story of a Japanese businessman, Hiroshi, who is being schooled in Western ways (he must learn that some things are, in the West, "kinjite ? forbidden subjects") whilst at the same time getting unhealthily interested in teenage girls. Early in the film, Hiroshi sees a nymphet being touched up on the underground, and with this incident he becomes sexually obsessed. Hiroshi is then posted, with his wife and two young daughters, to Los Angeles. By coincidence, not only does he drunkenly molest Crowe's daughter on the bus one night, sending Crowe into a racist frenzy, but also when Hiroshi's own daughter is kidnapped, raped, addicted to drugs and pimped by Duke, Crowe is the investigating officer. What follows is a somewhat genre-typical hunt for the girl, ending in the massacre of Duke's crew and the arrest of Duke (and also the suicide of the girl) but it never comes out that Hiroshi was the man who molested Crowe's daughter.

The plot is as lurid, nasty and discomforting as could be imagined. What is remarkable is the way the script refuses the audience its usual comforting vigilante thrills. Crowe tortures, harasses, murders and generally turns the tables on the scum of the night, but he is clearly shown to be not that different from them himself. He is a racist and a chauvinist, and he comes very close to admitting that his protectiveness towards his daughter is not fatherly but something far more jealous and possibly sexual and unhealthy. His propensity for anally violating his enemies should give any viewer pause for thought, and the end makes it clear that Crowe's form of "justice" has a sexual-sadistic governance ? he ensures that Duke is locked in a cell with a rapist and will be used as a sexual slave throughout his incarceration. This finale is the film's most shocking and eye-popping moment, especially given the way in which the American prison system in general uses prisoner rape as a method of punishment and control in US jails. This film seems to be nailing US justice as a mask of hypocrisy, which gets sadistic pleasure from meting out severe retribution in a country where formal hypocrisy covers the truth that the men who institute justice have, beneath their skins, the same desires as the pimps, paedophiles and perverts.

Kinjite ? Forbidden Subjects tells the story of three remarkably similar men ? Crowe, Hiroshi and Duke ? all of whom enact their part as alpha male individuals, aggrandizing themselves and demeaning women and children as chattels, subordinates and secondary citizens. This is not a film to make any liberal viewers happy ? human life is seem as Darwinian and inherently corrupt ? but it also radically challenges masculine self-perception, making it something more than the reactionary shoot-'em-up we might expect from the genre and this star. It just goes to show that radical cinematic visions crop up in the least expected places, most often in the films "respectable" critics would dismiss as kinjite ? forbidden subjects?
February 2, 2007
Bronson plays a cop on the edge. I like it. Obviously a movie that helped Asian-American relations in the 80's (note the hint of sarcasm. Being Japanese wasn't a good thing in this film). Very downbeat film but you got to love what Bronson calls "Justice".
February 1, 2014
Your sexual gifts are few and bitter.

Lieutenant Crow is a ruthless police officer that plays by his own rules. He has been assigned to bring down a female child prostitution pimp. If the streets thought he was ruthless before, they haven't seen anything yet. Crowe has a daughter, and a pimp that sells underage girls gets no slack from him.

"I'd love to shove this up your ass but I'd hate to dirty my hands."

J. Lee Thompson, director of The White Buffalo, Messenger of Death, Death Wish: 4, Firewalker, 10 to Midnight, Battle for the Planet of the Apes, and Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, delivers Kinjite: Forbidden Subject. The storyline for this picture is actually better than I anticipated. The main character was pretty cool and the story unfolds well. The acting was solid for the genre and the cast includes Charles Bronson, Amy Hathaway, Nicole Eggert, Peggy Lipton, Sy Richardson, James Pax, and Juan Fernandez.

"You try me and you'll be back in mother India."

I DVR'd this picture because it starred Charles Bronson. I had low expectations for this film but it actually reminded me of a better version of the Death Wish sequels. This movie is still just an above average action picture; but for the 80s, this isn't half bad (trust me, I've seen some bad ones). If you're an action genre fan, this is worth a viewing but not worth adding to your DVD collection.

"Drink in one hand and breast in the other."

Grade: C+
November 16, 2009
Kinjite - Forbidden Secrets is almost two movies wrapped in one. On one side, you have hard-nosed, no-nonsense taking cop played by Charles Bronson, whose one goal in life is to take down a villainous thug who runs a big-time child prostitution ring in LA. On the other side, the story focuses on a somewhat sleazy Japanese businessman (who is overly fascinated with sex) who gets promoted to the LA division of his job where he takes up new residency. These two characters come together when the businessman's daughter is kidnapped and thrown into the prostitute ring. There's a sub-story involving the businessman foolishly trying to diddle Bronson's daughter on a bus, which turns Bronson into a pretty mean bigot. When the daughter and businessman meet up again for a potentially intense and bad-ending scene, nothing happens. Very disappointing. Aside from that, Kinjite is said to be Bronson's best action movie, to which I highly disagree with. The film is sprinkled with some fun and entertaining scenes, especially a rousing climax and one of those perfect comeuppance endings for a villain, but overall, I was left feeling just a tab but under satisfied. Definitely not a bad film, but I've personally enjoyed other Bronson films more so than this one.
July 24, 2007
Charles Bronson vs. child prostitution scumbags in this sleazefest from our friends Golan-Globus & Cannon Films!

Just finished watching this & it was really hilarious overall despite the suggestive themes of sickos selling off young girls as prostitutes. Duke was the sleaziest of the sleazy & in a different move, he wasn't killed by Bronson at the end. He got sent to prison where it was implied that he was going to get raped by all of the inmates....including Danny Trejo! Trejo had only one line as he had a scummy grin on his face while looking at Duke:

"Hey sweet thing! I got something biig and long for you!"

And Bronson kicked another guy through a shelf with glasses on it. That same guy later got accidently dropped off a balcony into a swimming pool by Perry Lopez & Charles Bronson when the guy's shoes slipped off. And I'm pretty sure that guy was Lite from Repo Man.

The first ten minutes of the film contain Charles Bronson shoving a dildo in a pervs ass. It doesn't show the actually dildo shoving but it's implied that it happens as the guy screams & the camera shows the backs walking away of Perry Lopez aka Ed Zacharias from Death Wish 4(and Bronson's partner in this) & Nicole Eggert.

Bronson also kicks the perv through a cabinet.

And later, Bronson makes child prostitution kingpin & piece of shit, Duke, eat his gold wristwatch.

He told Duke that he'd rather shove it up his ass but he doesn't want to get his hands dirty & that Duke has to look between his legs to tell the time.
June 23, 2007
WATCH Bronson force a man to swallow an entire gold watch! LEARN what Kinjite means! LIVE the life of an LA sex slave!
½ December 5, 2014
Their ninth and final film together over a 12-year partnership, 'Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects' basically plays out as a Death Wish installment with Charles Bronson portraying Lieutenant Crowe instead of Paul Kersey, and being focused in anger both over child prostitution and that his own teenage daughter was molested by a Japanese businessman. Many would write this off as simply an exploitation film, but I love the fact that, like 'Gentleman's Agreement', it shows both that different degrees of racism are possible in anyone, but is also stoppable, as in seeing that a Japanese father cares about his daughter just as much as he cares about his own, he changes his own perspective. And the ending, that the criminal gets what's coming to him, is very satisfying, and makes many of Bronson's films such guilty pleasures...
½ December 28, 2012
Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects is a ludicrous and unpredictable guilty pleasure.
February 1, 2014
Your sexual gifts are few and bitter.

"I'd love to shove this up your ass but I'd hate to dirty my hands."

"You try me and you'll be back in mother India."

"Drink in one hand and breast in the other."

Grade: C+
½ December 27, 2013
Unpleasant and grossly misjudged, this movie confuses hardboiled and completely overcooked. A low point in Bronsons unimpressive late career and an awful note for Thompson to end his career on.
TheDudeLebowski65
November 14, 2013
½ October 27, 2012
Bronson as a LA vice cop trying to bring down a pimp who abducts young girls, gets them hooked on drugs and puts them into prostitution. Has nice footage of the long defunct LA Cobras of the recently defunct Arena Football League.
February 28, 2009
Any film that has the hero forcing the bad guy eat a watch is my kinda film. This is one the last un-pc films that had reign in cinema from Nixon to Bush Sr. It's man's man film. Danny Trejo has a bit role in the film.
December 10, 2011
Reeling after the horrific molestation of his daughter by a Japanese businessman, Lieutenant Crowe must come to terms with his own racial prejudices as he enters the seedy underworld to hunt down the unidentified perpetrator. But Crowe is not prepared for the depths of depravity and sexual slavery that exists beneath the surface, pushed into an emotionally charged war of vengeance with all guns blazing against a savage urban empire hell-bent on domination.

also stars Perry Lopez, James Pax, Peggy Lipton, Sy Richardson, Juan Fernandez, Bill McKinney, Gerald Castillo and Nicole Eggert.

directed by J. Lee Thompson.
May 28, 2011
Bronson's 80s run of depraved and violent shock thrillers culminates in this, the slimiest of them all. The twisted subject matter is not treated with sensitivity, which is going to upset a good deal of people who see it. The movie's also leaden-paced and poorly constructed, with subplots that go nowhere and plenty happening that simply does not make sense. But to see Bronson at this age still rampaging through the baddies (albeit this time being an anti-hero himself) creates an adrenaline rush, and Bronson fans shouldn't miss it.
February 4, 2011
Yeah that's a Movie of my Choice!!! Bronson is the Man!!! Such a Stylish Morbid Movie with a Bombastic Soundtrack!!!
April 1, 2009
Kinjite actually has all the makings for a good exploitation flix but even though it's sleazy it plays things pretty close to the chest & a lot is implied...& Nicole Eggert should have been naked (I think she was old enough). She's smokin hot & I don't want to watch Blown Away again to see the goods. Bronson is a tough son of a bitch cop who uses a dildo on one of his suspects (like I said a lot is implied but still..pretty fucking ruthless) & makes another swallow a gold watch. Bronson isn't taking any shit while he cleans up the scum. This gets muddled down w/ a subplot of Bronson's daughter being molested (it's slight & really nothing) on a subway but it just enrages Bronson so much he won't deal w/ Asians. Not one of Bronson's best but for fans of his who like trash might as well complete the catalog
July 6, 2010
Girl A: "Some Oriental guy touched my Holy-of-Holys!"

Girl B: "Holy shit!"

Yup, you can probably guess the tone of this 80s Bronson vehicle: kinda trashy and "exploitative", a bit on the reactionary side and full of scenes of unintentional (?) hilarity. In the first five minutes, we get our Cowboy Cop dildo-raping a connoisseur of underage prozzies; by the end of the film, the viewer will have been exposed to lazy racial stereotyping, "underage" prozzie rings, kiddy-fucking, prison rapists, "honour" suicides, the arse-rapist from Deliverance, and Danny Trejo. The thing is, it WORKS, and rather beautifully at that (for a trashy 80s cop flick); whilst the themes thrown into the film might have "shock value", much of the really unsavoury stuff is made clear without delving into graphic detail. Throw in a suitably 80s soundtrack which suits the proceedings and you have a highly rewarding (if hardly groundbreaking) 97 minutes on your hands. Fucked-up in all kindza ways, but great fun, all the same!