—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Kiss Me Kate Reviews

Jennifer X

October 7, 2007
This movie is freaking brilliant. Ann Miller lights up the stage every moment she's visible. She may not be as good a dancer as professional Bobby Van, but she's got more edge. In movies it's the combination of attitude and spunk AND talent that take you up a notch. Ann Miller wears the star power on her sleeve. It's unfortunate she was never really given a leading role to project her talent but this is a pretty darn good substitute. "Too Darn Hot" and "Tom, Dick, and Harry" are without a doubt my favorite numbers, I swear I've watched each of them at least twenty times. But Cole Porter is an awesome composer and I also love "Why Can't You Behave," "We Open In Venice," and "Always True to You in My Fashion."However, the movie is really sexist. Why does Howard Keel's character treat Kathryn Grayson like crap and she still comes running back to him? Granted, they both behave rather badly but why does Kate have to give the concession?
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A good comedy musical about actors who's offstage lives are mirrored onstage in a production of taming of the shrew. It has it's funny moments, but sometimes the songs are boring. Overall a pretty good movie, though.
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
Great music, but too many scenes where Howard Keel has to punish his ex-wife. What message does that send?
jjnxn
jjnxn

May 4, 2008
Sprightly colorful throughly wonderful musical. Keel is perfect in the male lead and Kathryn Grayson in what along with Magnolia in Show Boat is her best role is terrifically loose and animated, a break from her normal persona, a shame than that this was almost the end of her film career. All the supporting players deliver the goods and while almost every song or dance routine is a winner "From This Moment On" stands out as an exceptional number. A winner, see it!
Mark H

July 25, 2008
Bright, colorful, lively Cole Porter musical inspired by Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew. Originally filmed in 3D
littlecharmer1959
littlecharmer1959

May 3, 2009
Ann Miller steals the show! Highly entertaining musical adaption of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew with some wonderful songs provided by Cole Porter. Look out for a small role by Bob Fosse, especially in the 'From This Moment On' sequence, where he gives a taster of what was to come later in his career.
Sunil J

August 10, 2007
A sweet movie musical about a couple putting on a musical despite their romantic drama offstage.
August 1, 2011
Kiss Me Kate is an odd and playful movie with music by Cole Porter. I really loved some of the songs, but I wasn't initially crazy about others. I wouldn't quite consider this to be one of the better MGM musicals, but it is worth seeing once. (First and only viewing - 8/1/2011)
June 12, 2012
A musical within a musical based on Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew". What's not to like?

Grade: B+
January 22, 2012
apart from the "show within a show," I liked this movie. the characters were stock, but still fun (especially the two gangsters), the dancing was pretty awesome, and the music was, for the most part, catchy and enjoyable. I really didn't like the Taming of the Shrew, though--although the costumes were fantastically over-the-top with strong commedia influences, the "musical adaptation" was really not impressive. the songs didn't fit in at all. if that was an actual production, I'd strongly recommend avoiding it. overall, though, this is an entertaining musical with a solid ensemble cast, great dance numbers, and a classic Cole Porter score.
December 17, 2009
Having only seen this film version, I thought I hated this musical, until I saw a Broadway performance of it. "Kiss Me Kate" is a wonderful, fun, sexy, funny, romantic musical, but this film drained all of the charm and fun out of it. Lugubrious, dull, painful to watch. Hate the movie, love the musical.
May 28, 2009
If I didn't love The Taming of the Shrew or didn't know one thing about the theatre and Shakespeare then I don't think I would've like it as much. So before you see this film, brush up your Shakespeare!
August 3, 2007
A fun, musical take on the famous Shakespeare play, "The Taming Of The Shrew". The movie is basically about 2 stage actors who were once married and now asked to be in the same production. It's interesting to watch the parellel relationship of the leads on stage and real life. Many funny scenes and Howard Keel often steals the show with his characters booming voice and tendancy to over-act, as stage actors often do. Also contains some excellent dance numbers, courtesy of Ann Miller. The Cole Porter soundtrack is hot!
alsal
August 29, 2007
It was entertaining and a creative take to do a movie. But to be honest, I was kinda bored through some of the musical numbers...except when Ann Miller was on.
July 19, 2007
Cole Porter's music and lyrics are genius in this musical comedy adaptation of Shakespears Taming of the shrew. If you like funny, witty, and an all around good time classics then you'll like this one.
Jviews
June 4, 2007
it wasnt actually such a bad movie but i think it is sexist and the guy spanking the girl in the movie poster is on crack and i hope he dies
lagstretch
May 21, 2007
A really funny movie with amazing dancing and fun songs. The story line is a little confusing, but still very enjoyable.
March 27, 2007
It took me a while to buy and watch this one, but it does have some very good scenes in it. I think its more of a drama musical than a comedy one like i like most of all
queenblondee
March 13, 2007
Great musical version of Taming of the Shrew. If you like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, you'll love this movie!
yzette20
February 15, 2007
1st time I saw this I was like... "wait a min that's the guy from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers...." That's all I needed to watch the whole movie.