97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang Reviews

Apeneck F

September 8, 2007
While Downey, Kilmer and Mognahan all deliver spot on, nuanced performances the real star here is director/writer Shane Black who's knowledge, vision, and insight power this neo-noir past the usual fish-out-of-water detective cliches (Downey as a small town petty burglar and nicest guy in the film posing as an film actor posing as a private detective posing as the narrator of the film in big city L.A. for the first time) into a compliment/indictment of the movie community (like hating the one you love or loving the one you hate or something like that). Well informed and absolutely riotous. The story ceases to make sense or even to matter and I didn't care. It's a lovingly cynical film by a cynical guy about a cynical town in that most cynical of film motifs, the noir. I actually don't think Downey has played any other character but this one since this has been made.
Wildaly M

May 14, 2007
Entertaining.
Julie B

September 16, 2013
This started out with a, well, you know... but eventually lost my interest.
Kevin C

May 31, 2013
Film noir injected with irreverance, raunch, and endless wit. A superb rejuvenation of an entire genre.
Phil H

March 17, 2012
Unusual crime thriller comedy that, bottom line, is just your common who done it? but has the added bonus of the surprise double team of Kilmer and Downey Jr.

Who would of thought that these two big names could play off each other so well with Kilmer actually being quite humorous as a gay private eye. Its all down to the writing of Shane Black of course, his quips and smart ass fast talk give both stars much material to work with and create this quite exciting banter which quick fires through the film.

To be frank if the dialog wasn't there then the film would be nothing as nothing much really happens throughout, its all down to Downey's visual comedy and Kilmer's snappy camp put downs, there is hardly any action or anything noteworthy to speak of really.
Dean !

December 31, 2006
A very good black comedy with a great cast cast in the lead roles. The main leads all have great chemistry between them with their characters. This has plenty of funny moments as well as a good thriller plot with a few twists along the way. It will put a smile on your face.
Albert K

April 5, 2011
An incredibly weak script, quirky editing that feels tacky, and bizarre characters make this movie a bore.
dietmountaindew
dietmountaindew

October 23, 2011
kiss kiss, bang bang is a postmodern homage to raymond chandler's hard-boiled fictions through the several-day sequences within the movie: trouble is my business, the simple art of murder, lady in the lake, and the little sister. each sequence is a parody of randler's novel, wrily appropriated into the contemporary standard of spunky spice, heavier dosages of snickering cynicism. meanwhile the idea of chandler-esque hard-boiled detective is an americanized, proletariat(populist) kind of anti-sherlock-homles-elite type of hero (=american ordinary joe) who solves the cases with his flawed human endeavours instead of her overman wits. it's a style driven by psychological developments of our anti-hero protagonist...in other words, what distinguishes american hard-boiled from continental detective is its phallic swaggeries, which means philip marlowe or sam spade excels with the package of his supreme machismo = strength, bravery and grits.

in a brief, classic hard-boiled is all about: 1. narrative: linear causation. 2. macho wisecracking detective who is not an elite. 3. the corrupted metropolitan: los angeles or new york.

ok, my point of making efforts to introduce the framework of principles within this genre is to manifest the stark subversion of postmodernized "kiss kiss, bang bang," which overthrows those basic principles as los angeles is no longer what it used to be in the days of raymond chandler. kiss kiss, bang bang features a gay detective, and there're moments when val kilmer and robert downey jr. are compelled to kiss each other to escape the gangster or police surveillance. in one moment, robert downey's finger is accidentally chopped off by the leading woman. (symbolic castration)...thus, there's no phallic swaggery in the men here and it doesn't celebrate the magnitude of machismo as it did in the good old days. even at the last moment, robert's downey's retro-80s stunts of bravery feel like a mockery of manhood, and it's like saying "now you finally get it on, hard and firm(hm, a depiction of phallic state..ha) to save the day while being limp for the most of the show"...in one perspective of genders within postmodern detective fiction is the nullification of the overpower of straight white male by yielding the spotlight to the queer, the effeminated, the woman, any marginalized gender since the course of modernity is a cheer of masculine heroism, which is to be smeared in the realm of postmodernity. for example, the girl with the dragon tattoo.

kiss kiss, bang bang does parodies on chandler's novels without following the menchanism of linear causation as the timing of its narrative is shattered while robert downey fails to deliver his story-telling in a neat, coherent way. but who says we don't love such fragmentation? kiss kiss, bang bang has a smashed-off narration which just resembles the nowaday los angeles, whose rots and tumults are catalyzed in a much much more accelerated pace, which cannot be emulated by the knack of nostalgia.
Matt G

January 30, 2011
Shane Black's "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" is a quintessential film for post-generation-X moviegoers. Reminiscent of Fincher's beloved "Fight Club" and other narration favorites of mine. Much of the charm comes from the well-acted performance from Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), who is in his prime as a thief masquerading as an actor. We also have an extremely "gay" performance from Val Kilmer, and we see the rise of a great actress, Michelle Monaghan (Eagle Eye, Source Code). Besides being a fantastic crime-drama, this also serves as quite the comedy! Brilliant direction from Shane Black, fun performances, an all-around good time.
garyX
garyX

June 27, 2007
An aspiring actor relocates to L.A. to become embroiled in a murder conspiracy involving his high school sweetheart and a gay private eye. I'm a big fan of Film Noir so this pastiche from Shane Black was always going to be right up my alley and it didn't disappoint. It's perfectly cast, with Downey who had been in the wilderness for the previous few years reminding everyone why we liked him so much and he plays off Kilmer's dismissive hard-boiled pro detective brilliantly. The post-modern narration is also a master stroke and I even loved the title sequence. Towards the climax Black reverts to type and shrugs off the witty noir deconstruction to settle back into the usual 80s style macho excess that he made his name on but at least he plays the irony card and age has tempered his misogyny to some extent in that he created a female hero (albeit one who "****ed EVERYONE in school.") As a whole though, it's very funny, very stylish and hugely entertaining and certainly one of the best comic thrillers of recent years.
Sajin P

August 19, 2011
Crime and comedy crash head on into each other in this absolutely entertaining screw-loose dark comedy.
Ross C

August 19, 2007
Black comedy that takes a while to get into its stride, delivers a few funny scenes, then struggles to close the story out in any interesting way. Robert Downey Jr is on good form, but this movie never really captivated me enough to be memorable.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 26, 2010
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang written and directed by Shane Black, the screenwriter of Lethal Weapon is very original, well acted, and plotted action comedy film. A petty thief accidentally walks in on an audition as he flees the cops. Next thing the thief knows is that he's in L.A with the potential of being a film. Robert Downey Jr. plays the thief, and he must train for his role as a detective with the help of a real detective Gay Perry (played by Val Kilmer). Soon the two find themselves in the middle of a murder investigation. The bodies start to pile up as Harry Lockhart (Downey Jr.) and Gay Perry try to figure out whats going on. What follows is a series of mishaps and to make it worse, Lockhart tries to catch up with his old high school flame, Harmony ( Michelle Monaghan) who only ends up helping the two with the murder investigation. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a film that combines action and comedy very well. I found the film to be more action oriented, but with light doses of comedy, very much like the Lethal weapon films. The story is very entertaining and original, and Shane Black does a fine job at directing this film. The cast do a fine job, and Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer really are funny on screen as Kilmer's character can stand Downey Jr's character. This is a film for fans of action comedy and for those who enjoy these types of films, then this title is for you. This is one of the best Action Comedies that I've seen in a long time, and this is also the type of film that requires another viewing so that the viewer can truly enjoy it, and understand it. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, but maybe for some people this is the type of film that needs to grow on some people before they can truly appreciate it. I loved it the first time around, but I know I'll enjoy it even more the second time around. Either way, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang will entertain you only for the single fact that it's story is unlike anything you've ever seen before. A very unique film and a pleasant surprise overall. I started watching this film with decent enough expectations, but I was just blown away at how messed up the story was, and for me it worked. A funny Action Comedy with one of the weirdest storylines to come out of the genre in quit some time.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

March 1, 2008
Very innovative, takes a few watches to get the plot down, but smooth and cool jazz.

Update: Constantly getting lost watch this movie, it's like an American Layer Cake, great movie that I fall asleep to 90% of the time.
cancercapricorn2002
cancercapricorn2002

June 4, 2010
There are 4 types of movies around in the world today. Movies you immediately love and will always love. Movies you once loved, but with subsequent viewings have grown distasteful. Movies you immediately hate and will always hate. And finally movies that grow on you every time you watch them. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is categorized squarely within the latter, and is a truly unique and spectacularly hilarious film. The first time I saw this movie, which is directed by Shane Black who helmed the lethal weapon movies, I was impressed and satisfied but not albeit blown away, so to speak. T he next time I viewed it, I caught more of the jokes, and already knowing the plot, I was able to pay closer attention to the performances and technical aspects. The last time I viewed KKBB, I loved it, and it subsequently found its way into my top 100 films.

The film features an odd narrative style, in that the narrator, Harry Lockhart (Robert Downey Jr.) is aware he is narrating, and it seems to me, aware it is a film you are watching. Impossible in the context, but it works nonetheless. Because our voice from above is aware of his narration he makes quips and observations, apologizes for swearing, and then swears for forgetting to tell us something important about the story. I'm pretty sure it is impossible for Downey Jr. to give an uninteresting performance, and he is pitch-perfect here. Every joke hits home and by the end you'll be trying to remember them all so you can make yourself laugh again later. But be warned, the humor is a times dark, many hilarious sequences resulting from deaths, injuries and dismemberments. Despite being squarely in the realm of comedy there is a fantastic murder mystery and action pic mixed together. All three areas mesh seamlessly, and is one of the reasons why it is such a unique pleasure to behold.

We first meet up with Harry Lockhart while in the process of robbing a toy store with his partner. When the job goes bad and he is forced to flee, he winds up tossed up with a case of mistaken identity and is jetted off to Hollywood to become an actor in a detective movie. Upon arriving he meets his tutor, a real private-eye named "Gay Perry." (Val Kilmer) And as he says, he's not gay "Oh no I'm knee deep in p***y; I just liked the name so much though I'd keep it." Before Harry can say the title of the movie he's starring Harry is thrown into a real murder mystery, involving the sister of his high school sweetheart Harmony played by Michelle Monaghan. Together the mismatched trio try to untangle the web of intrigue that unfolds before them; part buddy movie and part noir, Kilmer and Downey Jr. play off each other brilliantly; both (especially Downey Jr.) giving award worthy performances.

Very minor hiccups arise relating to some confusing plot elements, but as I said they can be quickly remedied with a repeat viewing, and some overly clever jokes briefly mar any complete perfection. But with all round superb acting, the cast pulls it off flawlessly despite. Yes, KKBB is essentially perfect, but destined to be an overlooked gem, crowded out by 2005's less then perfect blockbusters, such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and the Chronicles of Narnia. So seek out this instant classic, With such originally busting from every orifice and boasting a stellar cast and top-notch writing, Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is one you can't help but love.
cosmo313
cosmo313

August 3, 2006
I liked this movie, but I think it was a bit too convoluted and meta for its own good. Don't get me wrong, it is entertaining, and the twisty turny-ness and meta stuff are fun, but a little goes a long way. Michelle Monaghan was a bit annoying, but she didn't bug me enough to ruin it for me. DowneyJr. is reliable as always, but for me, the scene stealer was Kilmer. He's a damn riot in this movie. It makes me sad that I think this was the last big film he's done in the past decade. So yeah, this movie is a mess, and it's all over the place, but it's got some wild and outrageous stuff going on, and you could find worse ways to spend 103 minutes.
Conner R

January 7, 2010
I love this movie for being such an oddball and original idea. In some ways it is a perfect comedy, but there's so much more to it than that. At its heart, it's actually a very lovable story of romance and corruption in a similar light to Sunset Blvd. Robert Downey Jr., Michelle Monaghan and Val Kilmer were all perfect. You couldn't ask for a more clever script and appropriate tone.
Sarah G

September 1, 2006
This is hilarious stuff. One of the best scripts that I've seen in a comedy for a while with some of the best dialogue too. Val Kilmer and Downy Jr are a great double act and both just hilarious. I loved the film-noir type feel to the film, which set it up to be one of the best black comedies I've seen from this decade.

Highly recomended
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 7, 2009
This Movie has the Humor of its own.