—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Kissing Jessica Stein Reviews

itsjustmenow
April 13, 2014
I remember being bored by this attempt at a lesbian movie, and switching it off. But I'm willing to give it another try since it's been a few years.
March 8, 2014
This movie makes me wax nostalgic for my old hometown of New York City since much of it is shot on location.
February 26, 2014
the trailer makes this film seem like a romantic comedy, but also subtly lets you know how it's all going to end. it's not funny in the slightest, and is okay most of the way through the film but the ending ruins the entire thing, i was extremely disappointed with the way this film has made lesbian relationships seem, and it's also kindof homophobic in a way because it's saying that gay relationships are based purely on sex and for a straight woman to turn to another woman for love is her last option when she can't find the right man, but actually that straight woman is just going through a phase and isn't sexually attracted to women and will go back to a man in the end. it makes out as though the gay community are sexually frustrated and can't hold down a happy relationship. watching it in 2014, this film is way behind times with it's views on homosexuality/bisexuality, and it a generally terrible film. badly made, badly written, unfunny, not sexy in the slightest, and the 2 main actresses are so awkward with one another their 'relationship' seems like a joke. 0.5/5 stars. i never want to watch this film again.
December 14, 2013
i'm interested in gay stories not much. but i'm glad that she found out she's straight.
rusky0
February 19, 2009
When it comes to love, sometimes she just can't think straight.
marisalazar9
July 31, 2013
I am a lesbian, and I really want to see this movie! I love the snatch!
Alice S

July 15, 2012
I have a girl crush on Jennifer Westfeldt (which seems appropriate for this movie about a buttoned-up Jewess trying on lesbianism to find her [7] true love[s]). Too bad she's all in a committed long-term relationship with hunk-o-man Jon Hamm.

Westfeldt as Jessica is so adorably neurotic and girl-next-door-pretty. My perennial favorite, Scott Cohen, is mean and tough but also sweetly anguished. Jessica and Helen's romance blossoms awkwardly and hilariously at first, but the moment Jessica comes over to take care of Helen when she's sick is a nice turning point. The movie debates homosexual politics a bit, but it doesn't end with a clear message about whether one should be with her own sex or the other. It also doesn't cheapen Jessica's lesbian relationship as a dalliance.

I also love how the script sneaks in bunches of word-nerd humor and suffering artist philosophy. Judy's monologue about how Jessica quitting the school play because she thought her costar wasn't good enough - and only really hurting herself - is a metaphor for her dating life is eloquent and insightful. Josh's realization at his happiness for Jessica's painting and his own novel writing is a necessary reminder for all creative artists. Blech.
July 17, 2013
Good, but not great. Westfeldt was herself, but something was missing here.
July 16, 2013
The magic lies in the characters; wonderfully real. It examines the fluidity of sexuality, the meaning of love, and the power of family and friends. It is a brief and wonderful window into another life.
Letitia L

February 21, 2012
Just a really inspirational movie. It's all worth it for the single scene where Helen is sick.
June 11, 2013
I really like Jennifer Westfeldt's writing style and the neurotic characters she plays. This movie helps affirm what I've always believed in - love is a spectrum.
April 11, 2013
Not bad but not great
April 11, 2013
The cast is wonderful and the story is commendably free of the sectarian us-versus-them tone of many romantic gay movies.
April 1, 2013
A lighthearted and sweet yet real and slightly serious romedy in a best woody allen style with new yorkers trying to figure it all out. Wether to be gay or straight, to date or not, to be serious or not, to live and love or not. Funny and ... cerebral :)
March 22, 2013
The right kind of funny and smart.
January 24, 2013
blah i kissed her, tasted like rotten cheese
Megan S

March 1, 2007
I thought this movie was supposed to be more of a comedy (just my perception, not a misleading trailer as often happens). So I got over that easily and enjoyed it.
Carol G.
January 7, 2013
A very relatable movie, and an interesting take on the topic.
December 30, 2012
Intelligent fun chick flick!
December 27, 2012
This movie is pretty funny at times. I feel for Heather Juergensen. Jennifer Westfeldt makes her wait for so long before they have sex and when they do it's at her parent's house. Lol.