Movies Like Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl Reviews

DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
It's not a movie just for little girls, it is a great history lesson for a lot of people, but it could have been great without the American Girl logo, which made it really embarassing for some guys to go see, but its just an okay movie.
Red L

July 18, 2010
Kit Kittredge is a kid growing up in the early 1930's when everyone was losing their jobs, and families had to diversify to pay the bills. Kit's family took in boarders which brought a number of interesting characters to the film. This movie is part solve-a-mystery and part Kit-wants-to-be-a-reporter.
Jennifer X

December 30, 2008
Isn't interested in portraying the grim lifestyles of the Depression but rather creates a faux-American Girl doll populated imitation of one. This movie aims more to remind me of the doll confections if anything else. But it's cute and family friendly and all that. Thesps Joan Cusack and Stanley Tucci are over-the-top and FUN. And Abigail Breslin is incredibly adorable and natural.
skactopus
skactopus

November 30, 2008
Once again, we have another film from under the radar that is a nice watch for the entire family. Kit Kittredge: An American Girl has a little bit of everything. Actually, it doesn't have robots, military soldiers, spaceships, monsters ... you get the picture.The story is a little deceiving. At first glance it seems like this movie will be about Kit Kittredge becoming a reporter for the Cincinnati Register. It is about that, but the main focus is on a crime investigation, which makes this story more like a mystery.An interesting fact about the story is that "Hobos" are a big part of it. The movie does show how they are seen in the Great Depression years.The story doesn't actually fly by, but it isn't necessarily a slow burn either. There are a good variety of characters to watch and the younger ones tend to liven up the picture. This flick also gets most of the emotional drama out of the way in the earlier parts before having it return for a happy ending, a happy ending, and another happy ending.Abigal Breslin has already proven that she can carry a film and this one is no exception. All the supporting actors fit in as well. Some of these include Joan Cusack, Chris O'Donnell, Julia Ormond, Jane Krakowski, and Stanley Tucci. Even Colin Mochrie is up to par.This is not just a movie for kids as adults will find this just as enjoyable. Don't be ashamed to spend 100 minutes of your life with this film.
MovieMaster12
MovieMaster12

November 1, 2008
Kitt Kittredge is a nice vehicle for the popular Abigail Breslin. After Little Miss Sunshine she may be the most saught after child actress in Hollywood. And deservingly so. She's cute, likeable, and talented. The film itself is quality family entertainment probably because it's so emotionally involving and it's serious side prevails over it's cutesy kiddy side. The little mystery that Kitt and her friends solve is fine, but it's the real Depression era hardships that Kitt's and many other families have to brave that makes the film above average. It starts out very sad, almost too much so, but culminates in a sweetly satisfying way that begs for Tiny Tim to cry out, "God bless us everyone!"
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 2, 2009
In "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl," 10-year old Kit(Abigail Breslin) dreams of being a reporter, even submitting an article to the local newspaper on the Chicago World's Fair but the editor(Wallace Shawn in the role he was born to play) rejects it, stating that everyone else has already written about it. Since this is 1934, jobs are scarce anyway, and Kit's mother(Julia Ormond) helps out by giving odd jobs around the house to a pair of hoboes. Things get worse when Kit's dad(Chris O'Donnell) loses his car dealership to the bank, forcing him to go to Chicago in search of work, promising to write every week. Kit's mother has no choice but to subdivide the house(but thankfully not Kit's treehouse) in order to rent it out to boarders...

Directed by Patricia Rozema, "Kit Kittredge: An American Girl" proves the old adage that any movie with a basset hound in it cannot be all bad. In fact, this is a charming and entertaining movie that does not ignore the harsh realities of the time that forced families apart, not the other way around. And a more than capable cast makes up for any holes the otherwise thin story might contain.
Dannielle A

February 2, 2009
It was entertaining but not as good as the other three American Girl movies. I did like it though.
William G

July 7, 2008
Despite Breslin's default winning nature, the film itself proves wholesome to a fault.
Sunil J

November 27, 2008
Not bad. Kinda cute.
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

July 2, 2008
I don't know what the F this is. Was this straight to video?
Turfseer
March 29, 2010
Poorly plotted children's adaptation

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

Kit Kittredge is a 10 year old aspiring journalist who lives in an upper middle-class suburb of Cincinnati in 1934. Through a family connection, she boldly calls upon the publisher of a major Cincinnati newspaper and asks him to publish an article she's written. Somehow I was thinking that it might have been more interesting if the plot had gone in a different direction from the beginning. Instead of being turned down and not getting her article published until the movie is just about over (and that's the way the plot actually plays out), it might have been more interesting if somehow Kit enlists an adult to get herself published and then her articles become a sensation. Kit becomes a young "Cyrano" with her adult friend (perhaps the 19 year old gopher who Kit was put in contact with by her brother at the beginning of the film) attempts to keep the ruse going, with the publisher and the co-workers at the newspaper in the dark until the film's climax. In my 'alternative' scenario, Kit is found out at the end and 'exposed'; she falls from grace but is redeemed after her final article exposes a team of con men who have been preying upon the good members of the community.

As it turns out, The Kittredge 'First Act' is replete with politically correct, anachronistic ideas. The 'hobos' are nothing more than a stand-in for today's immigrants while the kids whose families are lucky enough to escape the ravages of the Depression, mouth platitudes in school about the hobos not working and getting "government handouts". The rich kids are equated with the conservative, right-wing Republicans of today.

The film's second act begins when Kit's father loses his car dealership (it's interesting that he was still able to have a thriving business as late as 1934!). The father decides to pack his bags and go to Chicago to find new employment. Kit's mother is forced to take in boarders much to Kit's chagrin. Here's where the film really starts dragging. Instead of introducing the antagonist, the plot focuses on introducing us to the collection of oddball characters who inhabit the boarding house. The machinations of these characters are supposed to be amusing but they are merely foolish (there are one too many scenes with Miss Bond, the mobile librarian, crashing her truck in the front yard along with the undeveloped character Miss Dooley who happens to be a dancer of sorts). Then there's Mr. Berk, played by Stanley Tucci, who wows the kids with his magic tricks (another scene that did not have to go on as long as it did).

In addition to the boarders, Kit meets two Hobo children, Will and Countee and decides to investigate the Hobo 'way of life'. Implausibly, Kit's mother allows her to go to a hobo camp to do some 'research' for one of her articles, but wouldn't you know it the hobos are a bunch of wonderful people (despite police reports of many robberies committed by various members of their group). Much too late in the story, the Hobo children are accused of stealing all the boarders' valuables which Kit's mother had placed in what she believed to be a 'safe place'.

By Act III, we've finally discovered that Mr. Berk, the magician, his associate and Miss Bond are a bunch of con artists who have been victimizing poor boarding house denizens all over the city. Since they are a bunch of clumsy fools (buffoons), Kit easily figures out (with the assistance of her young buddies) that they're the one's who framed poor Will; he's soon exonerated and the police now arrest the magician and his buddy after they are exposed by Kit and company.

The denouement is unsatisfying as well. Kit's father returns from Chicago and inexplicably hasn't been able to find one job there. So he reassures Kit that he intends to remain in Cincinnati (despite the fact that there is still no work for him there). Finally, the newspaper publisher arrives and announces that he's published Kit's first article. Instead of becoming an exciting muckraker from the beginning, Kit's new found fame comes a little too late in the storyline.

Unfortunately, little Abigail Breslin is once again used by adults for nefarious purposes. In the insufferable "Little Miss Sunshine", she ends up dancing in a sexually suggestive way at the end of the movie (it's supposed to be "cute" but in reality is a cynical attempt by the films' scenarists to promote an elitist agenda?modern day beatniks trumping beauty pageant snobs). Here little Abigail is also used to promote another modern-day form of elitism: the victims of today's economic woes get their shots in at today's fat cats (no doubt Corporate Executive types who get big bonuses). At least here the 'anything goes' philosophy of 'Little Miss Sunshine' is no longer operative but little Abigail once again comes off as overly pushy and aggressive(and certainly not 'cute').

In the end, 'Kittredge' patronizes both adults and children alike. The film's scenarists were afraid to expose children to a dose of reality. The Depression here is reduced to a Hallmark Greeting Card with villains who are buffoons and heroes who can do no wrong. What it needed to be was another 'Wizard of Oz' with a wicked witch antagonist who is actually scary and evil and protagonists (such as Dorothy and her buddies) who have real-life, honest-to-goodness, human foibles.
MovieGuruDude72
June 24, 2008
I loved Abigail Breslin in Little Miss Sunshine. Unfortunately I can't get that messed up image of her dance routine from that movie out of my head when I see her in other movies. I feel incredibly incredibly dirty. Which under normal circumstances wouldn't be a big deal, but Abigail is 11. Glad to see she can act. I hope she continues her career after her teen years.
gwynfallan
October 30, 2009
Great actors plus good script equals a good, but utterly forgettable movie. I accidentally watched this movie three separate times in a six month window, only to remember that I'd seen it based on a single scene fifteen minutes before the end credits making me suspicious and my suspicion verified by the final scenes before the end credits. Since people say it is a good movie, I have since watched it an additional two times suffering the same horrific suspicions and revalations with each viewing. Its a good kid flick to watch once, but certainly not three or even five times.
deppluvr4evr
July 3, 2008
I absolutely hated this movie, like it is soooo girly it drives me crazy! UuGgHh, the only good part about this movie was the really hot guy the friend
February 20, 2009
This is a good movie for children. It has some good values thrown in it as well. I thought it was cute. My daughters loved it.
February 15, 2009
A very good family movie. Zach Mills is adorable, loved him in Mr. Magorium's. I also loved Stanley Tucci, Jane Krakowski, and Joan Cusack. I felt that it was odd to cast Chris O'Donnell opposite the wonderful Julia Ormond, but he did the job well.
February 1, 2009
I think this is a good family movie that everyone can enjoy. I liked the story and the acting was really good. It's a very predictable story, but it was fun and you do not mid watching.
maZdaBelle
January 19, 2009
For a kids' movie, this was great. My husband even enjoyed it. A movie about The Great Depression is perfect for our current times.
ericlarge
December 13, 2008
this was a very good of presenting the way life must of been back then. I hope we don't have to experience it in the present