42% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Knight's Tale Reviews

Wildaly M

May 25, 2007
Ledger didn't rock me but it's still quite a good, enjoyable movie. Paul Bettany 's role as Chaucer was excellent. Loved the soundtrack and didn't mind the anachronisms.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 29, 2007
Okay spoof of medieval movies but what starts out as a jaunty adventure takes far too long to finish up.
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
Medieval times revamped with a late '70's rock 'n roll/renaissance festival aesthetic, this is a charming, crowd-pleasing dream of the Middle Ages w/o all that dirty, grimy, plague-infested filthiness the times warranted. Enjoy the hedonism or get out of the way. And here certainly is the late Mr.Ledger's most accessible role if not his overall best.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 19, 2011
Prince Edward: Your men love you. If I knew nothing else about you, that would be enough.

"He didn't make the rules. He was born to break them."

A Knight's Tale is a cool and fun ride through the Medieval time period with a classic rock soundtrack. I honestly fell in love with this movie right away because of the first jousting scene that was set to "We Will Rock You." The film also features two acting rockstars in Heath Ledger and Paul Bettany. Ledger is the huge name and Bettany is just about as cool as actors come. Neither disappoint and they make movie even more fun then the already fun premise.

William is a peasant who has always aspired to be more, preferably a Knight. It is just too bad that a knight most come from noble descent. So how do you get around that? Well, you lie, and that's just what he and his fellow squires do, with help from a roaming gambler who has literally had the clothes taken from his back. Among the journey from squire to knight, William competes in tournaments, falls in love with a beautiful woman played by Shannyon Sossamon and obtains a rival. The story line is pretty predictable along the way, but never in a boring, who cares I have seen it before, kind of way.

I like the fact that a jousting, Medieval film was made in a way that made it feel like it could be happening now and not hundreds of years ago. The movie was made to have fun with, not to be taken seriously. I think the crowd stomping and clapping to a song that doesn't come into existence for centuries is a good indication of that. Fun is what this movie is. It never lags for the entire two hour plus runtime and is always fast paced, humorous and at times touching entertainment.

I really do love A Knight's Tale. Nothing can really compare to Paul Bettany and his introductions/pump ups. Also the jousting scenes are incredibly well done and the movie features the sexy Shannyn Sossamon. This is one of those movies that when I see it is on television, I just can't pass it up.
3niR
3niR

October 17, 2010
Oh Heath Ledger, you were so good in here. I seriously felt bad when watching this. This was awesome. He was just fantastic. R.I.P Heath Ledger :(
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 15, 2011
A Knights Tale is pure fun, it is cool, funny, and is harmless, and I really enjoyed it. Heath Leger is cool in this movie, he did a good job, but some cast memebers were badly picked in my opinon. Overall a fun movie and I really liked it.
TheGame90
TheGame90

January 29, 2011
Not really entertaining...Looked poorley directed. And oh my god...This movie was like 2 hours too long. Maybe not Heath Ledgers best Knight related film....but it's way up there...Look at you now...
Conner R

January 10, 2010
Easily one of my favorite movies, it has the ability to always entertain and be a thoroughly good. It's style is extremely original, the blending of classic rock with a Medieval jousting story. William's journey to knighthood is both fun and powerful, you have such a huge connection to the characters. The visuals are flawless and the action sequences are amazing. Heath Ledger, Shannyn Sossamon and the evil Rufus Sewell are all essential components to the movie's enjoyment. Even the supporting cast is amazing. Brian Helgeland's vision is really unique and has the ability to deliver on every front possible.
garyX
garyX

April 29, 2007
A young squire dons his master's armour when he drops dead during a tournament and so sets about impersonating a nobleman to transcend his peasant origins as a champion jouster. History gets the Hollywood treatment as the kiddie-friendly "you can be anything you want to be if you believe in yourself" message gets rammed down our throats yet again. Our square jawed hero is of course valiant in battle but a tongue tied boob in the company of the beautiful princess who is, as all Medieval princesses were, a cross between a Maxim cover girl and a suffragette. Accompanied by bickering, streetwise sidekicks (including Geoffrey Chaucer who is demoted to a cross between a fairground barker and Don King) and finding a nemesis in the shape of a hissable nobleman who inevitably discovers his secret and cheats his way to near victory, this is a live action film with a Disney cartoon script. And as for the soundtrack which is basically a copy of the "Classics Of Rock" CD, it's a conceptual nightmare. Having said all that, the likable cast and pretty visuals began to win me over after a start that is little short of horrifying and it has just enough of a sense of fun and irony to make it more palatable than similar Hollywood bastardisations of history that actually take themselves seriously. As an aging sour puss, it's easy to poke holes in the cliche riddled, corn infested script but at the same time I know that if I'd seen it as a kid, I would've loved it.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 24, 2009
Loved the modern integration in the past. Very cute.
Gx7
Gx7

October 30, 2007
A man can change the stars

Movie Quotes:
"I give to you, the seeker of serenity, the protector of Italian virginity, the enforcer of our Lord God, the one, the only, Sir Ulllrrrich von Lichtenstein!"

"My Lord, the Count Adehmar, Son of Phillip DeVitry, son of Gilles... er... Master of the Free Companies, defender of his enormous manhood, a shining example of chivalry and champagne."

"You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me? "

Hehe, after all these years, this movie still cracks me up. Slightly 'Shakespear-esque', modern day rock n roll, cool soundtrack, good acting, story and script. Filled with quirky characters and witty lines, I thought it was quite a riot! There was 1 thing I couldnt really take about this movie though.. and Ill leave it with this quote.

"There she is, William. The embodiment of love. Your Venus!"
"And ooh how I hate her...."
Anthony L

September 29, 2009
Painfully over-hyped. I know it?s not meant to be taken historically seriously and its meant to be 'A bit of fun' but quite frankly it?s a very weak film with such a light sprinkling of fun that I would rather watch a repeat of 'It?s a Royal Knockout'!
Ken S

March 24, 2007
A wonderfully fun guilty pleasure. Paul Bentley steals the show.
Morgan G

September 27, 2008
Surprisingly funny and whilst Ledger is good, for me, Bettany steals the show with his performance as Chaucer. Tudyk is good. Good soundtrack.
Chiefilms
Chiefilms

January 13, 2009
This movie is great and entertaining from start to finish, hilarious and cool. I prob. could give it 4 stars, maybe later, there are a couple scenes of pointless dialogue.
Bobby H

October 3, 2008
A Knight's tale is an amazing film. An intense period film with some relaxation of comedy involved. Heath Ledger & Rufus Sewell make the film what it is - and Shannyn Sossamon is insanly cute from the opening seen to the final scene.

This movie is packing action, comedy, romance, and everything in between. It's a true midevil peice in a time of noble knight's where jousting was the sport of the world and peasants seeked to change the stars.

Overall it's a great movie worth more then a few watches. The only negatives is the outcome is predictable from the opening scene with a typical fairy tale ending and the soundtrack is a 80's soundtrack. I'm not complaining, but when the opening scene consist of townspeople from the 14th century singing "We will rock you" it made for a bit odd. I wasnt aware that was written yet ;). Really it went a little overboard with comedy that this film did not need to make any better - as it was already fine enough but it still comes out on top.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 29, 2008
Unorthodox at best, this movie was a real delight. With a classic rock soundtrack set to a medevil storyline, this story is the true meaning of fairytale.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 4, 2007
fun to watch, good movie
Aaron N

April 1, 2007
William: I'll ride in his place.
Roland: What's your name, William? I'm asking you William Thatcher, to answer me with your name? It's not Sir William. It's not count, or duke or earl William. It's certainly not King William.
William: I'm aware of that.
Roland: You have to be of noble birth to compete!
William: A detail. The landscape is food. Do you want to eat or don't you?
Roland: If the nobles find out who you are there'll be the devil to pay.
William: Then pray that they don't.

It's a movie about the joust. That's cool right there. Then you have a cast that knows how to have a good time. It is a fun sports movie, set in medieval times, not taking itself seriously, which is obvious from the interesting and fun choice in using classic rock songs in place of another decent/boring period film soundtrack.

Here's a story about some common folk wanting to do more with their lives. They consist of Alan Tudyk, Mark Addy, and Heath Ledger, as the competitor. Ledger poses as a knight to compete in a jousting tournament, in order to make money. During this time, the group encounters a certain writer, played by Paul Bettany, who becomes their official announcer, a female blacksmith, and the bad guy, Rufus Sewell, who's purpose if of course to get the girl and win the prize from Ledger.

Mix in a couple of hot chicks, and here's a fun summer movie with good jousting action. The hot chicks in question is Shannyn Sossamon and her servant/friend.

The movie is just a joy to watch. Writer/Director Brian Helgeland, who has an assortment of credits (LA Confidential, Payback, Man on Fire) has made an interesting period movie that has action, romance, all working to a sports movie plot that works.

Chaucer: Very good.
William: Was she watching? Geoff.
Chaucer: What?
William: Did she see me?
Chaucer: Yes, she saw you.
William: Did she see me take the hit?
Chaucer: Yes, she saw you take the hit.
William: Well, was she concerned?
Chaucer: It was dreadful, her eyes welled up, it was awful.