Five Favorite Films with Alex Proyas

Summary

This month, Alex Proyas returns with a new film for sci-fi audiences: Knowing, in which a professor (Nicolas Cage) discovers that predictions sealed 50 year prior in a time capsule had accurately predicted a series of disasters in modern history. Among his influences for the film are William Friedkin, whose Exorcist he says partially inspired him during filming. Below, we talk with Alex Proyas as he shares his Five Favorite Films, discusses Roger Ebert's idea of "generosity" in a filmmaker, and demonstrates his appreciation of the film critic's efforts to seriously analyze his 1998 film, Dark City. Back to Article

Comments

Racer Z

Shannon Potratz

I always look forward to Alex Proyas' next movie. I've been a fan of his since The Crow and Dark City is among my most favorite films of all time. While I'm not a big Nick Cage fan, I'm anxious to see Knowing.

Mar 18 - 09:25 AM

lestatthevampire

Tyler D

I like him.

Mar 18 - 01:42 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

LOL I meant go in wanting to be surprised, not being spoiled. It makes sense, but you took it out of context, maybe I didn't write it good enough but u know what I mean!

Mar 18 - 08:39 PM

keysersoze2k1

adrian flores

Proyas, Dark City is just one of my favorite top 5 favorite movies of all time. Thank you.

Mar 18 - 10:35 PM

Carlos R.

Carlos Reyes

I like the list, as a matter of fact, it convinced me to watch Knowing, a movie I didnt have any intrested at all. (Mostly because of Nicolas Cage).

Mar 19 - 07:51 AM

waterwizard2005

Leonard Moses

Nothing beats Dark City for me, for what it is.

Mar 19 - 11:54 AM

Connor M.

Connor Murphy

The plot seems extremely interesting, and Alex is a good director but I can't stand Cage. He is an overrated actor who is slowly slipping from A list to B. All I can say is, got botox?

Mar 19 - 06:54 PM

CaptainSiberia

Raymond Ogilvie

Firstly, **** Nicholas Cage to hell. I hate him. Hate his boring face, hate his dry and empty acting. Hate the stupid action films he stars in. But liked Adaptation.

Second, I wouldn't call /Spirits of the Air.../ post-apocalyptic. That term gets thrown around very carelessly, you know? Somebody says a given movie is post-apocalyptic, and I think, "That must have been a pretty pathetic apocalypse." Seriously, if you're going to call a movie post-apocalyptic, you had better make a damn good case that there was hell-on-earth for a period before the film began. /Spirits of the Air/ is set out in the outback and stars only three characters. We have no idea what the outside world is like. It may be perfectly normal. We can't say that an apocalypse happened. The outback is a barren and desolate place by nature, and nothing about the setting really suggests that there has been an apocalypse.

But get /Spirits of the Air.../ out on DVD already! Fantastic little film! The only feature made by Proyas' short-lived Meaningful Eye Contact production house! In fact, give us a second disc to document all the short film and music video subjects!

And I like Proyas, but no way will I see /I, Robot/. It's not looking good for this film either.

Mar 19 - 10:53 PM

Roger_O_Thornhill

Brendan Boyle

No, I say "meh" and ask him what his favorite movie is that's not universally acclaimed. Is it too much to ask that people in the film industry have non-canonical tastes?

Mar 20 - 06:38 PM

kaike_67

Carlos Balbás Espín

"Non-canonical tastes"? A great film is a great film, period, whether it's cited by people in filmmaking or a regular moviegoer. If those seminal "canonical" films inspire the world, they're certainly going to inspire those who actually make films.

Seriously, it's a ridiculous point. You're bitching for the sake of it so get off your high horse.

PS: I'm not a fan of Alex Proyas nor am I particularly fond of any of his films.

Mar 20 - 10:11 PM

kaike_67

Carlos Balbás Espín

Mar 20 - 10:11 PM

BatMime

Philip Zamora

Man, I am really starting to dislike these boards. Everyone complaining about anybody's taste in movies as it were the sole defining characteristic of that person's worth. How ridiculous and how insane.

Mar 21 - 06:17 PM

SirRack

Chris Rackliff

I think Im going to have to backup TombstoneLawDog with saying that I, Robot was suprisingly good. I know that when I first saw the trailer for it I just said to myself, "That movie looks TERRIBLE". I finally saw the film when it came out on DVD, even then I didn't really want to rent it but I said what the hell. I ended up enjoying it a lot, maybe thats because I had such low hopes, doesn't matter. It wasn't Dark City, but it definately wasn't bad.

Mar 22 - 02:51 PM

emily l.

emily lee

I seldom see his news if without the breaking news on NY MAGAZINE, it is reported his dating profile is found on "wealthysingle.N e t" by his fan.

Mar 24 - 05:59 PM

emily l.

emily lee

Agree with Philip
PS: Looking for a hot&beautiful girl or a handsome millionaire? Well, r i c h p a s s i o n . c o m will give a surprise! Don`t miss it!

Mar 27 - 04:10 AM

mason b.

mason burruss

why is the godfather on everyone top 5 list.

Apr 21 - 02:46 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday