The Kovak Box Reviews

John2223
½ March 7, 2009
Good combination of thriller and sci-fi that remains Hitchcock style.
May 13, 2012
A straight-faced and reality-based piece of "old-school" science fiction, the kind that's more concerned with concepts like mind control and the power of suggestion than it is flashy chases.
March 7, 2009
I loved this movie.. there was alot of action, it kept you guessing.. and everyone did an amazing job.. .. I was going to give it the full five stars.. and then the last five minutes popped up... after all that build up....seemed fairly anticlimatic.. I know there were hints at the beginning that when he's writing it becomes very real.. but come on..

Still a great movie.
½ March 7, 2009
Good movie. This movie had the potential of being a really good movie if the movie had a bigger budget and had some better actors. The story to the movie was really good.
½ August 16, 2008
Starts out a touch slow, but builds nicely. Timothy Hutton plays a sci-fi writers whose life is turned upside down and into a story of his own making. Interesting twists and turns. Want to say more but it'll ruin the suspense.
July 1, 2007
Good performances and story, but way to slow to get the score all other elements warrant. Ending could have been a hair better.
½ January 20, 2015
Thriller español , dirigido por una nueva promesa del cine hispano Daniel Monzòn , cuenta la historia de un escritor envuelto en una intriga en Mallorca , la pelicula se sostiene por su hermoso escenario y algunas escenas de suspense, lo mejor del director vendrìa en su siguiente proyecto Celda 211.
November 5, 2008
A B-movie plotline is welded to A-movie production values.
½ November 3, 2013
Intriga, ¿estás ahí? Tópicos, ¿por qué existís?
July 6, 2011
This movie was surprisingly good in my opinion, but that might be because I went into it with no expectations whatsoever. The story is quite unique and intriguing, and I think it was suspenseful enough so that it doesn't become irritating but it does hold your attention.
½ March 13, 2012
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

(2007) The Kovak Affair
SCIENCE-FICTION THRILLER/ HORROR

Straight to rental movie about a well renown author Daivid Norton(Timothy Hutton) goes to an island for a small lecture until his wife gets herself killed by jumping off a balcony concluding by authorities that she's commited suicide. It's later learned that it had something to do with David's very first novel about a micro chip which can control peoples unnormal behavior to doing the most rationalist thing such as taking your own life. An idea talked about in his novel but made into reality. I was somewhat intrigued by the premised only to leave with some unanswered questions such as how much does the police know about this and how come the micro chip in the back of the neck wasn't caught earlier during a police autopsy for instance as well as how many people are involved with this experiment and so on! This film is also too far fetched to have really make the antaogonists plans happened perfectly as well as not all the accomplices weren't caught! This film could've been better!

2 out of 4
½ April 22, 2011
Acaba sendo uma tentativa mal feita de imitar um Se7en misturado com uma estória que poderia ser intrigante mas ao começar a se revelar não funciona dados os absurdos. Sem saco para esse tipo de coisa.
Timothy Hutton está razoável.
½ March 26, 2011
A good (though not great) suspense movie. It is about a man named Kovak who creates a little box, I won't spoil what it does. The problem with the movie is that there are various scenes that are hints of what is to come. If you are carefully watching and thinking about the movie there is little suspense and it is very predictable as those hints are really spoilers. So it is good and worth the time to watch.
½ July 4, 2010
A strong and unique story creates suspense and intrigue in this sci-fi thriller without the need for the veneer of special effects. The generic dialogue and wooden performance from Timothy Hutton keep this movie from being truly worthwhile.
Baz
½ March 31, 2010
Not a bad movie. Something different and had a pretty sound plot. Acting was ok at best.
½ October 26, 2009
A mystery/thriller/horror film with suicide at the center of the lives of an author (Timothy Hutton) of science-fiction books and a woman who got a call on her cell phone, then jumped from her hotel room window, just like the author?s fiancé. Set on the Island of Mallorca, the mystery begins, develops and finally comes to a conclusion, roughly following a novel, ?Gloomy Sunday,? written by the author where people self-destruct when a device implanted in them is activated. A fanatic, Kovak, wants what he has created and set in motion on the island, to be turned into a novel by the author. A search for the answers and for the ability to alter the real-life ending from that of the novel makes this thriller interesting and worth watching.
½ October 11, 2007
i love Timothy Hutton. i mean, not love him like.....we roll out of bed on sunday mornings and he makes me pancakes type of love, but....i just love his work as an actor. ever since he strutted his stuff decades ago in Ordinary People i just picked up on him as an actor to watch. he's got such a varied body of work, always choosing unusual roles and films to star in, that i chose The Kovak Box from the redbox just cause he was in it.
here's an example of a film that i never would have rented at the VideoWorld store. but, as it has sat patiently awaiting me in the redbox for one dollar i figured i really couldn't lose. of course i figured the same thing about the black dahlia and now i'm in a full scale lawsuit with brian de palma to get my dollar back and the two plus hours of my precious life i wasted on this foul smelling slice of pie.
The Kovak Box is an interesting little film with an interesting little story and some interesting performances by its actors, both little and not so little.
i found it to be good enough to spew a few lines across the tomatoe garden over cause so many big films that stink get so many people to see them, i figured if somebody had a dollar they wanted to spend in a good way that this might be a wise way to spend it. again, please remember i'm only two people, a lion, and sometimes jesus christ.

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]jesus- i'm me, and you're you....remember that come judgement day.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]me- thanks, i'll try not to flash your driver's license at the gate to get in.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]jesus- all i'm saying is, till you're ready to spend an afternoon hanging nailed to a chunk of wood please don't assume you're me.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]me- yeah well, you may have died for my sins but i don't see you struggling through countless evenings with my in-laws making small talk and watching them ignore you.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]jesus- point taken. we've all had our crosses to bare, mine just happenned to be made of wood.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]me- couldn't tell you what mine are made of...flimsy materials and spineless flesh.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]jesus- they sound like jelly fish.[/font]

[font=Franklin Gothic Medium]me- good point.[/font]

and 'poof', just like that, jesus christ has left the building....not to be confused with Elvis leaving the building either. jesus was no hound dog.
where was i? The Kovak Box. a science fiction writer is invited to an island where he finds himself caught up in a dangerous game taken from his first novel. he doesn't realize he's caught up in a game because he's forgotten the first novel and struggles to develop a new original science fiction story. the maze he's trapped in turns out to be that new story. Timothy Hutton pulls this role off and is very enjoyable to watch. no it's not Ordinary People so don't expect to see him getting any best acting awards. still, i enjoyed it. the actress Lucia Jimenez puts in a swell performance as well. she looks great in the shower too. there's plenty of shady characters and plot twists that kept my attention for the duration. when i returned the film back to its redbox of origin i certainly didn't feel like beating up the machine. granted, it took quite a beating from me when i rented the black dahlia and now it shakes in fear when it sees me coming.

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]me- there there little redbox. rest easy today.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]redbox- You beat me up last time. Nobody else beats me up when they return their movies.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]me- nobody else is me, except Bluebuddah, and occassionally jesus.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]redbox- That lion you travel with peed on me when you returned The Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer.[/size][/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][size=3]me- you got off easy.[/size][/font]
½ May 10, 2007
Bland and far fetched thriller, competently made, but it just lacks spark and there is no chemistry between the stars. Timothy Hutton is too boring of an actor to be in a film of this nature. Nice location footage, technically a fine film.