Movies Like The Krays

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Krays Reviews

Anthony L

February 8, 2012
I could have sworn I've reviewed this before!? Anyway, The Krays has certainly stood the test of time. It remains as powerful as it was on its release, even if the actors haven't. Peter Medak made sure not to skip over any detail too, I've seen a few other versions were Ronald Kray's homosexuality wasn't even mentioned. I've never understood the admiration the Krays have received over the years, charismatic yes but nasty pieces of work also but this film remains faithful to their story to its credit.
Lady D

April 20, 2007
I can't believe this film is 20 years old!

It was a much awaited British film at the time of it's release and the first of many to spark the gangster/celebrity true crime genre.

The film itself, is not a greatly made film, the Kemp brothers weren't necessarily the best choice for the roles, there are major discrepancies between the film and later books that were released and of course many unproven things at that time, that couldn't make it into the film itself. Perhaps at some point there will be a much more accurate telling of the story, but I'm sure that will take a long while until it can be made, rumours spread for many years that Ray Winstone would be offered the chance to play both Ron and Reg, but that doesn't seem to have materialised.

What I did like about this film was how they showed the war days, the poverty, the East End spirit and the background where the boys grew up. Billie Whitelaw was also a credit to this cast and gave an enjoyable performance.

I haven't watched the film for years, but there must be something I really liked about it, as I still seem to know every quoteable line from it.

If you are a fan of true crime stories, then it's certainly worth a watch.
Dean !

May 11, 2007
A cool violent drama charting the life of the notorious Krays brothers.
John B

April 15, 2010
Didn't enjoy it as much as most others. Was it possible for Spandau Ballet to pull this off?
Marcus W

September 14, 2009
The British answer to Godfather which may lack the polish (it's really looking dated now), but it doesn't have all the paunch either. It's the character work that stuns here - it's slightly better than Long Good Friday. Any fans of gangster movies absolutely must see this. Thoroughly engrossing.
hawkledge
hawkledge

November 26, 2008
Extraordinary film, with extraordinary acting and spooky synergy from brothers Gary and Martin Kemp, members of the '80s pop group Spandau Ballet.
August 4, 2008
Interesting that more people know nothing of this movie, much less video stores have it to rent. I caught it on HBO? Showtime? many moons ago and taped it. Now my VHS tape is dying and that blows.

Its a story based on the life of two real gangsters in England during the second world war. They are a creepy, sadistic duo who go around doing what gangsters do, but in a very stylish unnerving way. This is a great flick that also gives insight as to what average folk went through during WWII.

You haven't seen this movie, but you should (if you can find it)
nwosuagu
October 2, 2007
It's been a while. I need to see this again. But as Neil Stephenson says, swords need no demonstration.
cecelia14
March 29, 2007
Yeah, since blood is thicker than water, why not spill a little? The Kemps are excellent as the Krays.
Renaissanceldy07
December 8, 2006
OUTSTANDING MOVIE!!! A MUST SEE -BASED ON THE TRUE LIFE OF THE NOTORIOUS TWINS - THE KRAY BROTHERS FROM THE EAST SIDE IN LONDON, ENGLAND.
April 22, 2013
I don't think I seen any armed robberys arson or protection racketeering in this movie all I seen was two pretty weird twins that were black suits and slick back black hair that have a possy of guys that were black suits, what im trying to say is I don't think this movie for two hours really explains it all yes you see that there violent and it quickly goes through there childhood whuch seemed fairly standard. this movie has a weird old aura about it likes its a horror movie, it remined me of another british movie gangster no.1 that's even better or the long good Friday that's even better again, my advice watch one of them instead unless you have a hard on for the kray twins which was possible no matter what sex you are cause one of thems gay, your not a flippin bottle nosed dolphin are you of the west of cork.
December 23, 2012
Sometimes interesting, sometimes boring, often melodramatic.
FilmGrinder S.
November 30, 2012
Gonna do a bit of the cutty, cutty.
September 20, 2012
The founding members of Spandau Ballet are laughable as the Kray twins in this poor British crime film.
June 3, 2012
one of my favourite films!
Jimbob T.
May 27, 2012
Great Gangster Film.
December 1, 2011
Exceptional early sixties hip gangster flick. Disturbing, riveting and up there with the best...And, the Sapdau Ballet twins give unexpectedly great performances. If you like gangster movies...see it.
May 10, 2012