The Krays Reviews

March 7, 2015
near flawless British gangster epic. the twin Kray brothers are very different from each other and have their own character arcs which are fascinating
March 21, 2015
Hilariously over the top and over dramatic (and just about incompetent in some ways), but kinda fun. The Kemp Bros. (Spandau Ballet) are the infamous Kray Bros., representing that London thug life. Stephen Berkoff (Under The Cherry Moon) shows up to do his best Bob Hoskins impersonation. Glad I waited 25 years to see this.
October 29, 2006
WOW.....WOW.....WOW....WOW.....JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that billie whitelaw (.R.I.P.), tom bell (.R.I.P.), gary kemp, martin kemp, susan Fleetwood (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this drama/action/adventure movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......I think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....

Awards
##Nominee Best Supporting Actress - BAFTA (Billie Whitelaw)
##Winner Best Film - Evening Standard British Film Awards (Peter Medak)
##Winner Most Promising Newcomer - Evening Standard British Film Awards (Philip Ridley)
##Winner Best Actress - International Fantasy Film Awards (Fantasporto) (Billie Whitelaw)
##Nominee Best Film - International Fantasy Film Awards (Fantasporto) (Peter Medak)
##Winner George Delerue Prize for Music - Ghent International Film Festival (Michael Kamen)

Soundtrack

The film soundtrack came out on the Parkfield music label and featured:
##Chris Rea - "Bitter Sweet"
##The Zombies - "She's Not There"
##Jimmy Jewel - "Balling the Jack"
##Matt Monro - "Walk Away"

British drama film based on the lives and crimes of the English gangsters and twins Ronald and Reginald Kray, often referred to as The Krays.The film was written by Philip Ridley and directed by Peter Medak.

man this is such a really thrilling enjoyable movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie......I think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, its got a great cast throughout this movie....its got good fight scenes throughout this movie......man this is such a fantastic thrilling movie 2 watch, it is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch.....I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a fantastic drama movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie.....
April 28, 2014
Directed by Peter Medak (The Changeling (1980), Romeo Is Bleeding (1993) and Species II (1998)), This film had been in development for years, with more than one version being planned at one point, but when Medak came on board, he got together an all star cast, and even though it shouldn't be good, it's actually quite compelling and it has some good performances as well, which is surprising. This tells the story of Ronnie Kray (Gary Kemp) and Reggie Kray (Martin Kemp), twin brothers born to Violet Kray (Billie Whitelaw) and Charlie Kray Sr. (Alfred Lynch). In the 1950's, when called up for National Service, they assault their drill sergeant, and they soon find themselves diving into the world of organised crime. They use nightclubs as a cover for their illegal operations, and they soon become feared yet respected in the London underworld. However, Ronnie is the more psychotic of the two, while Reggie usually joins in due to peer pressure. But when the Krays decide to take on rival George Cornell (Steven Berkoff), it proves to be the brothers' downfall. Having the Kemp Brothers off Spandau Ballet as the Krays might have seemed like a silly idea at the time, but it manages to work, due to their intense performances, and they're backed up by the likes of Jimmy Jewel, Tom Bell, Victor Spinetti, Sadie Frost, Murray Melvin and Stephen Lewis.
½ April 22, 2013
I don't think I seen any armed robberys arson or protection racketeering in this movie all I seen was two pretty weird twins that were black suits and slick back black hair that have a possy of guys that were black suits, what im trying to say is I don't think this movie for two hours really explains it all yes you see that there violent and it quickly goes through there childhood whuch seemed fairly standard. this movie has a weird old aura about it likes its a horror movie, it remined me of another british movie gangster no.1 that's even better or the long good Friday that's even better again, my advice watch one of them instead unless you have a hard on for the kray twins which was possible no matter what sex you are cause one of thems gay, your not a flippin bottle nosed dolphin are you of the west of cork.
December 15, 2013
good Brit gangster bio-pic of sorts
September 10, 2013
Watched this again the other night and still remain unconvinced. Its fairly good in places but overall disappointing, the anti men theme running through the film is depressing and the female characters are all really annoying. Either whiny or just plain overbearing.
April 25, 2013
This film tries too be the British version of Goodfellas.
December 23, 2012
Sometimes interesting, sometimes boring, often melodramatic.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
November 30, 2012
Gonna do a bit of the cutty, cutty.
November 13, 2012
Its obviously a standard brittish film, The Krays movie has to be very challenging, especcially with its background, its very ambitious, it name says it all. The Krays. The both Kemp brothers do exceptionally well as the infamous and notorious gangster brothers its hard to point out any wrong doings. It portrays the London 50's style which I was excited to see, very faithful to its era and story was well researched. Not a worldwide movie but something brits will be glad to see. The Krays gave the Brits a movie to be well known for time to come.
½ October 8, 2012
I loved it, I thought this film was a great film, it starred Gary Kemp and Martin Kemp they played the Kray twins, I loved it, great film, Gary Kemp, Martin Kemp and Bille Whitelaw played good parts
September 20, 2012
The founding members of Spandau Ballet are laughable as the Kray twins in this poor British crime film.
June 13, 2012
I'm not too keen on gangster films, but this "based on true story" feature held my interest to the end despite its low production value and at times humourously hammy over acting.

The Kemp brothers put on a good performance, but some of the supporting cast were laughable! Passes on any glamourfication of crime in exchange for gritty realism and the dark places that the criminal underworld normally travels in.
½ June 9, 2012
I think the potential for this film was absolutely massive, but it falls down with some of the acting and how the film is put together. I think with a slightly different appraoch this could have become a great film as the underlying storyline is there.
June 3, 2012
one of my favourite films!
May 27, 2012
Great Gangster Film.
½ December 1, 2011
Exceptional early sixties hip gangster flick. Disturbing, riveting and up there with the best...And, the Sapdau Ballet twins give unexpectedly great performances. If you like gangster movies...see it.
May 10, 2012