Krull Reviews

September 12, 2010
Peter Yates' underrated but enjoyable sci-fi fantasy film is worth a look despite a predictable formulaic plot, it contains plenty of creativity and some impressive practical visual effects. The story concerns the planet Krull, which has been besieged by an evil entity known as the Beast. It inhabits a mountainous black fortress that changes location at every sunrise. A young prince named Colwyn, superbly played by Ken Marshall, who embarks on a perilous quest with his loyal band of companions to destroy the evil Beast, after his father is slain, and his beloved princess kidnapped and imprisoned within the black fortress. Fine direction by the late Peter Yates, with solid supporting performances by Lysette Anthony, Freddie Jones, Francesca Annis, Liam Neeson, Bernald Bresslaw, and Robbie Coltrane. A lush score by the late great James Horner. Recommended.
½ August 2, 2015
Having revisited this film more than 30 years since I last saw it as a boy, I enjoyed "Krull" even more that I did then. The special effects are surprisingly strong for a film made in 1983 (for the most part), and the film score is excellent. Costumes are cheap but effective. The acting is dismal, but you do get to enjoy early performances from the likes of Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane. "Krull" is enjoyable as silly, retro fantasy fun.
July 31, 2015
Underrated by many. Great fantasy film for the time. Love watching it no matter how much time has passed
February 25, 2008
Two caveats about this film: it must be watched in widescreen format, preferably in near-HD quality, and, this is crucial, one must hear this film in its 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound. Anything less is, well, let me put it this way: the first time I saw this film was on Encore, a rainy day, playing hooky from school, watching this on a standard TV and in pan & scan. No good. These correspond to the two saving features of this epic: its sublime cinematography and an absolutely transcendent score by Horner. I don't think this music can be praised highly enough. Horner crafts a score of Wagnerian proportions with Ring-like leitmotifs -- Siegfriedian heroism, lilting romance, and fire music matched only by John Williams. Glorious. The narrative itself has enough mythic alchemy to keep even the most astute students of Campbell and Jung awake, should the sonorous and visual narratives not be enough. Very pleasurable, highly recommended, especially to those of the sci-fi fantasy persuasion.
½ June 24, 2015
One of my fav sci-fi movies when I was younger. Cheesy and sappy, but great at the same time. Plays and feels like it was made in the 80s, but that's okay cause it was.
February 15, 2009
being a combo of 3 of me favorite movies plus the rest of the description makes it sound good.
February 19, 2015
Still holds up pretty good given the age of the effects. Fun sword and sorcery movie.
January 1, 2015
At the start of the film you can tell that it's going to be bad, it's a medievil sci-fi for gods sake. It has some early career appearances from some big names, which is amusing. This is a cult film because of the group of movie fans who believe that some films are so bad, they're good.
December 21, 2014
Still worth watching.
½ November 18, 2014
Whether this film is based on Dungeons or Dragons is a matter of debate, however it sure feels like it is. That's because the whole thing feels more like a series of encounters than an actual film. The characters have to go from point A to point B, to point C but WAIT, point C is blocked so the characters have to go to point D to unlock point C then return to that point and go to point D. The points are random events and really have no relevance to the plot: They could be put in any order and you'd never know the difference. The mix between science fiction and a fantasy setting is pretty good, and the final confrontation at the castle is excellent, but other than that it's just forgettable.
October 25, 2014
Someone turns into a tiger and slays a slayer. What more do you want?
December 7, 2007
Oh God.. Why did I rewatch this after all these years? Scarred for life AGAIN! :(
June 8, 2014
It's not as bad as the critics will have you believe, but it definitely could be better. The film is essentially a weird fusion of sci-fi and medieval fantasy, which actually sounds like something I can be open-minded about. However, while the film looks pretty good, the story needed a lot more work. The characters aren't thought out very well, and some of the characters have names that sound as though the writers didn't care that much. Also, Lyssa comes across as a stereotypical damsel in distress who thinks that "love is eternal". Do we really need more of that? Finally, the special effects are actually not bad, but at the end of the film, they just seem so much worse, almost as though they ran out of money by that point. To be fair, it's not a horribly bad film, but it could have done with some improvement, and maybe it could have done a tiny little bit better with the special effects just for good measure.
½ June 8, 2014
Classic British Sci-Fi Fantasy Film Which Is Heavily Cliched, Has A Bad Script, Some Cheesy Looking Special Effects (State Of The Art For It's Time) And A Cast Of Future Talents. The Plot Follows Prince Colwyn On A Quest To Rescue His Bride Lyssa From The Clutches Of A Monster Known As The Beast. On His Travels He Teams Up With Various Characters & Come Up Against Various Challenges. An Entertaining Piece Of Classic Cinema.
½ May 1, 2014
Directed by Peter Yates (Summer Holiday (1963), Robbery (1967) and Bullitt (1968)) and written by Stanford Sherman (TV's Batman, Any Which Way You Can (1980) and The Ice Pirates (1984)), this fantasy film allegedly cost $50 million at the time, but hardly any of it can be seen on screen, which makes you wonder where did it all go?? It has a brilliant cast, but this has all been seen before in other films out at the time. On the planet Krull, Prince Colwyn (Ken Marshall) and Princess Lyssa (Lysette Anthony) are to marry to forge an alliance between their two warring kingdoms. However, a spaceship known as the Black Fortress, controlled by an evil entity known as The Beast, disrupt the wedding and kidnap Lyssa. Colwyn gathers together a team, consisting of Ynyr (Freddie Jones), Ergo (David Battley), Torquil (Alun Armstrong), Kegan (Liam Neeson), Rhun (Robbie Coltrane), Oswyn (Todd Carty), Bardolph (Dicken Ashworth) and Nennog (Bronco McLoughlin) go off on a quest through tough and near impossible terrain to rescue Lyssa and stop The Beast. It has it's moments, but a lot of it comes across as quite dull, despite a who's who of British TV and film in the supporting cast, there was a lot of fantasy films of varying quality being released around this time, and there is something old school about the effects here created by Derek Meddings, but that's about it.
½ April 27, 2014
Definitely, this movie was one of my favorite movies from my childhood. This movie makes for the film a dark, gloomy and excellent result. The actors are not the best, but the job is acceptable. The visual effects for the eighties, are very good. I enjoyed this movie many times. This movie deserves largest cult than it have.
April 17, 2014
The most compelling scene in KRULL is one where an old man visits an old widow in an enlarged spider's web. The ideas behind that scene bring a lot of potential for a story that would have been far more intriguing than everything else about this movie, which is not something that I, as a fantasy fan, would ever dare to say. Released during the same year as RETURN OF THE JEDI, KRULL is a hodgepodge of sci-fi/fantasy concepts, few of which interest (a fortress that teleports at daylight as well as the aforementioned spider scene) and many others of which pull every cliche from the book. It tries to be so many things (but mostly it's a "hero must rescue his bride from a monster" plot) that it ultimately backfires. Director Peter Yates obviously bit off more than he could chew with the material, and was obviously the wrong person for the job. His picture unfolds at a torturously SLOW pace, and even the action sequences are detaching and depressingly unexciting... mainly because its characters are all basic cardboard cutouts with zero personality. I did like Freddie Jones' performance and James Horner's bombastic if derivative score, but these two elements cannot save this picture. The dialogue is both cheesy and laughable and the acting is depressingly terrible, including a then unknown Liam Neeson, who has done far better elsewhere. Ken Marshall is boring (and I mean BORING with a capital B) as the hero and Lysette Anthony (whose voice was dubbed for bizarre reasons) is even worse as the damsel in distress. I really hate to come down on a movie that has a cult following, but I just couldn't get engaged with KRULL. Despite the occasional moment, this film is both boring and an ambitious failure in every regard, mainly because it was made by all the wrong people. Get a better cast and crew and this would have been something unique. Instead it's just a waste of time and talent. Too bad, too bad.
February 18, 2014
The fact that me and my friends made a drinking game out of this film probably helps my affection that i have for it. There are some pretty interesting fantasy concepts throughout the film.