27% Transcendence Apr 18

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Kung Fu Hustle Reviews

Albert K

November 25, 2011
I seem to be the only one that did not enjoy this movie. I found the comedy to be way too elementary. I ended up not laughing too much. (It's been a while since I've watched this movie so bear with me).
garyX
garyX

November 4, 2006
An inept would be gangster inadvertently causes a war between a tap dancing, axe wielding gang and a poor rural village which unwittingly acted as a retirement community for ex-martial arts masters. The follow up to Stephen Chow's amusing genre send up Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle is more Loony Tunes than Crouching Tiger. Its mix of slapstick comedy and cartoon violence feels like a breath of fresh air in such a po-faced genre, and anyone who enjoyed the mix of martial arts and comedy of Mr. Vampire or A Chinese ghost Story will surely enjoy this. It's a deconstruction of classic Asian cinema from the likes of the Shaw Brothers and introduces tongue in cheek, post modern comedy that almost reminded me of Terry Gilliam in places which makes for a warm homage to the genre with plenty of laughs at the expense of grandiose Asian mythology. As action packed as it is deeply silly, Kung Fu Hustle is huge fun from beginning to end.
Jan Marc M

September 10, 2011
Kung Fu Hustle guarantees entertainment with intense, wild, and creative martial arts.
Lewis C

March 11, 2008
This movie is a gem. Let's go ahead and get that out of the way!

Wildly inventive and relentlessly funny, Kung Fu Hustle is one of the most entertaining light-hearted martial arts flicks that you'll ever see.

From the dance numbers of the Axe Gang, to the surprising talents of some of the denizens of Pig Sty Alley, the impressive fight scenes, and a genuinely sweet love story, this movie just rocks. It loses a little momentum in the latter half when the comedic elements are pushed to the side and the fighting is given sole focus, but overall, Kung Fu Hustle is a great movie for fans of stellar, fanciful martial arts fighting, fans of physical comedy, and those who like to dabble in both both genres. This is one of the best combinations of the two that you'll find.
Apeneck F

April 30, 2011
Poetry. And funny too.
Idrees K

April 10, 2011
It's like if Bruce Lee and Charlie Chaplin had a baby
Coxxie M

September 12, 2008
funny, kinda. i dont know.. its like, "yea. i know, man, you're right. bodies really CAN'T fly that far when they get kicked. funny, i guess."
YodaMasterJedi

flixsterman
flixsterman

January 3, 2009
Delightfully funny!

Kinda' ENTER THE DRAGON meets THE MARX BROTHERS.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 2, 2007
"In the world of kung fu, speed determines the winner."

In Shanghai, China in the 1940s, a wannabe gangster aspires to join the notorious "Axe Gang" while residents of a housing complex exhibit extraordinary powers in defending their turf.

REVIEW
"Kung Fu Hustle" is "Kill Bill" with a healthy dose of Looney Tunes thrown in for good measure. It's a rip off of about a hundred other films, but yet it never feels like a rip off. To Stephen Chow's credit, it feels totally original, and you find yourself as you're watching the movie eagerly waiting for the next bit of insane craziness he's going to throw on to the screen.

This movie pokes fun at the earnestness of recent films in the genre, like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," "Hero," and "House of Flying Daggers." Nothing is taken seriously here, and thank God for that. This is one bit of nonsense after another, and it's enormously entertaining. Film buffs should have a blast ticking off the homages to other films. The Axe Gang brings to mind the Crazy 88's of "Kill Bill." Chow tips his hat to the blood-spurting elevator scene from "The Shining." A poster for "Top Hat" is prominently displayed in the background of one scene (suggesting that Chow draws inspiration for his dazzling fight choreography from the fancy footwork of Fred and Ginger). And "The Matrix" gets its due as well. Chow gives himself a fun character to play, and he's also written a very clever screenplay. Pay careful attention to the early scenes, because clues that you might be tempted to shrug off as just being silly bits of embellishment actually become quite important later on.

And lastly, this movie has an awesome soundtrack.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
A very funny film, Kung Fu Hustle kicks bottom kung Fu Style!
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

February 2, 2009
With the help of an incompetent wannabe criminal and his fat bumbling sidekick, a gang of dapper axe-wielding criminals tries to take over a Shanghai tenement where every other resident seems to be a legendary kung fu master with mystical powers. Insanely fun popcorn action/comedy with genuinely hilarious sequences and bizarrely inventive battles.
Mark H

June 10, 2008
special effects+martial arts+carttons=to hilarious effect.
Lady D

March 16, 2007
It took me a few watches to totally appreciate the humour in this film, but once I did I thought it was totally unique. I really love the dancing gangster during the first scene.

Very creative characters especially the landlady. Just a very entertaining and comical film.
Aaron N

May 30, 2006
Brother Sum: Ever killed anyone?
Sing: I've always thought about it.

For a movie called Kung Fu Hustle, there is not nearly enough dancing, but that's okay, there's plenty of inventive fight scenes and some really funny moments.

Stephen Chow brings the people another very entertaining movie that parodies the plots of kung fu movies, while combining influence from Looney Tunes and The Matrix among other things.

The film takes place in 30s Shanghai, the dangerous Axe Gang is taking over the area. The gang is so evil that dark clouds literally arrive with them.

The next place in the Axe Gang's path is the quaint village known as Pig Sty Ally. This is populated by a bunch of funny characters, some with some secrets of their own.

Stephen Chow plays a bum and wanna be gangster, responsible for bring the Axe Gang to Pig Sty. Soon he is on his way to become an Axe Gang member, but his choices may or may not lead him to showing his full potential as a Kung Fu Genius that fights for the good.

There are so many bizarre moments in this movie involving the comedy and kung fu aspects, but the movie remains very entertaining.

Along with the memorable characters and humor, the movie is also technically extremely well done. The fight scenes are very well choreographed, combining great martial arts, with wire-fu, and other cool computer effects. The scoring is very well done, combining a classy Asian sound with the mayhem going on. Chow has outdone himself in making a very entertaining movie combining various aspects to make a respectable kung fu film that is also a great comedy.

Landlady: You may know kung fu... but you're still a fairy.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is a very fun, entertaining, tongue-in-cheek, and funny movie. Definitely worth watching at least once.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

March 21, 2008
Funny as HELL!
Jens S

June 13, 2006
After Chow's soccer movie I didn't expect a real change of mood for this film and got pretty much what I expected. Certain plot aspects, characters and effects were even pretty much alike. The problem being that I found Shaolin Soccer to be terribly pretentious and this even more so. Sure, the fights are sometimes fun to look at, but even those lose themselves in new heights of exaggeration and silliness. A few laughs work too, others just made me shake my head. The CGI is simply not always convincing and there isn't much "real" fighting going on anyway. As a 90 minute showdown this still could have worked, but the horrible dialogues and jokes in between made this a real case of WTF? Easily one of the silliest things I have ever seen in my life.
Matthew C

November 19, 2007
Great movie. I recommend this to everyone to try.