—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Kung Fu Panda 2 Reviews

Eugene B

January 1, 2013
Kung Fu Panda 2 is a solid animation blockbuster. Jack Black brings more energy and flavor to the sequel. Although the story may lack the ambiance the first installment had, it is bounded together by its countless humor (even going sentimental) and improved animation. 4/5
Lucas M

July 19, 2012
Kung Fu Panda 2, it's a visual delight with very good action scenes, moving and sometimes have a lack of humor, but still a entertaining motion picture.
maxthesax
maxthesax

July 1, 2012
A cartoon sequel that displays surprising artistic depth while wallowing in a predictable and somewhat shallow plot, Panda II survives on its quirky humor and something for everyone approach.

The story itself is nothing new; the search for one's true self and identity - which is pretty deep for the kiddies - and in the end offers up a feel good moment that it is in the everyday acts that ones' self is revealed (found that in a fortune cookie). However.... Every film needs a baddy to drive the action, and here, as with the rest of the film, we have a conundrum. Lord Shen, a peacock voiced by Gary Oldman, is a wonder to watch - his fluid movements and kung fu using his feathers a true joy - but in trying to instill depth to the character the film stumbles on its own device (something about a soothsayer's warnings of doom - holy Oedipus, where have I heard this before?). The inference that things are pre-ordained prevents this damaged megalomaniac from being more than a James Bond villain - wanting to destroy the world in order to possess it (never really understood that rationale - sorry Ian Flemming).

All sounds pretty deep thus far, yes? But this surprising depth is at distinct odds with the more cartoonish elements involving what may or may not be some kind of budding romance between Panda and Tigress (more like puppy love, but that would really be confusing, right?). Stay tuned for Panda part III for further developments!

Along the way we are witness to some truly wonderful animation - the chase scene via rickshaws far more fun than any live action car chase. Speaking of animation - once again I mention that the art of the film is breathtaking. I did NOT see this in 3D, so the colors I witnessed were wonderfully saturated and brilliant. Even scenes that didn't quite thrill me were still infused with such brilliant art that I was satisfied with viewing them (for example the climactic navel battle scene). In addition the film seamlessly switches idioms from animation to anime and even employs the art of Chinese shadow play.

In conclusion, while the twin story lines of self recognition and save the world from the bad guy may be retreads, there is enough humor and wonderful artwork to satisfy the adult in the audience, while throwing enough action at the youngsters to keep 'em entertained. A solid effort from Dreamworks.
Mark H

May 28, 2011
Kung Fu Panda 2's technical charms are undeniable. There's a priority placed on razzle dazzle spectacle and there are lots of battles. The narrative is highlighted by cluttered action scenes that have the emotional depth of a video game. To that end, young children should find the pretty colors and goofy antics of Po amusing. The beautiful images authentically represent the landscape and architecture at Mount Qingcheng, a renowned center of Taoism. But all of those efforts are betrayed by the superficiality of the dialogue. There's a decidedly modern feel to the language and attitudes of the characters that make the historical setting in ancient China seem arbitrary. The anecdotes are even more aimed at kids in this offering. The lack of sense gets a bit insulting. This martial arts fantasy doesn't have a script with personalities or drama with that will engage adults. His fellow kung fu masters, the Furious Five, are criminally underused. I think the Monkey had two lines. Master Shifu, the red panda who was Po's teacher and trainer in part one, is sadly missed. He's basically a cameo in this entry. He was arguably the second most important individual and that film's emotional center. It's regrettable that such a visually stunning masterpiece of animation has a plot that is so thoroughly lacking in originality or intelligence.
Albert K

June 19, 2011
The comedy did not work for me 90% of the time. I understand that it's a kid's movie, but Pixar manages to please the adults and the children. The action was not memorable (see Tranformers 2 and you'll see what I mean). However, despite all this, the message and theme of the movie hits home. The emotions from this movie is powerful; the way the movie manages to pull off the message in a powerful way is something that not many movies can do.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

August 16, 2011
I loved Kung Fu Panda 2. It's one of the few sequels i've seen that have beaten the orginal. It has even more action then the first film, it's funnier, the animation is so much better and I really loved it's darker story and look and even if it was dark I was amazed how it could still be looking visually amazing. The storyline is really good for a follow up and the ending leaves open a consideration for a third film that I am confident in thinking will be just as good if not better.
axadntpron
axadntpron

February 24, 2012
While I don't actively seek out this franchise, I do find it enjoyable. The animation is usually top-notch and I am always surprised at how creative the combat is and how they choreograph the battles as a whole. And although it can be a bit annoying after a while, watching Jack Black just be Jack Black can be pretty hilarious at times.
I appreciate how this current stock of animated films blend adult humor with childish antics in a way that makes it appealing to everyone. For someone who feels like there is already an invisible wall preventing me from getting fully immersed in children's films, it is nice not to find films of this ilk that don't bore me to tears.
Dr114
Dr114

February 5, 2012
A very fun movie for all ages. It continues Po's journey to becoming a true dragon warrior and has him trying to get inner peace. The animation is spectacular and the voice acting is great! (Gary Oldman is just awesome as the evil Peacock named Shen.) I like this movie much more than the first which was just "okay" to me. So overall, a great improvement and a very fun time. (The movie had me laughing at times, which is a bonus)
sergioogarcia
sergioogarcia

June 23, 2011
Hilarious panda bear. It remainds me so much to...ok...I'm not saying. But he could be my brother...(damn)...anyway, much beter than the first one. FANTASTIC casting. A must see.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 19, 2010
Cast: Jack Black, Angelina Jolie, Gary Oldman, Seth Rogen, Jean-Claude Van Damme, Jackie Chan, Dustin Hoffman, David Cross, Lucy Liu, Michelle Yeoh, Dennis Haysbert, Victor Garber, James Hong

Director: Jennifer Yuh

Summary: As the legendary Dragon Warrior, Po (Jack Black), the kung fu panda, dutifully guards the Valley of Peace alongside his allies the Furious Five. When a frightful new enemy emerges, Po and company embark on a perilous journey to save China and the art of kung fu.

My Thoughts: "Although the cast is great, I just can not get into these cartoons. I didn't care or that fact, really remember the first one so I was a little lost in the second one. So I guess they are not that interesting for me and don't keep my attention. They are forgettable. I did find this story to be more memorable and sad. I will probably end up seeing the next one made cause my nieces and nephews are fans. It's worth seeing at least once."
Beefy
Beefy

December 28, 2011
Surprisingly wonderful film, with brilliant animation, good action scenes, a wonderful vocal performance by Gary Oldman, and a good message about non-traditional families.

Also... Van Damme!
skactopus
skactopus

December 28, 2011
Jennifer Yuh brings amusement and relaxation in a worthy sequel known as Kung Fu Panda 2.The plot, while not even reaching 90 minutes, lacks a whole lot of sophistication, yet delivers enough of a story from start to finish. The humor is light and geared toward a younger audience, but still, there are a few chuckles to go around.The martial arts, as well as the other action segments are an enjoyment. Rendered in CG, watching specific animals perform kung fu somehow assembles well together for a visual treat.The voice work is provided by what can be considered an all-star cast. Jack Black is held in check by his character Po, while Gary Oldman embellishes yet another villain. The rest of the voices are fitting; however, a lot of the characters do get lost in the shuffle and suffer from a lack of screen time. It should be noted, that a bunch of the characters are carried over from the first installment, so most buildups and setups are not necessary in this picture.Kung Fu Panda 2 doesn't explode off the screen in any way, but passes more as a breathe easy type of film with enough entertainment value to top it off. "How can kung fu stop something that stops kung fu?"
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 18, 2011
Kung Fu Panda 2 was, to my surprise, really a great funny and action packed film. The story involves Po who is now living his dream as The Dragon Warrior, protecting the Valley of Peace alongside his friends and fellow kung fu masters, The Furious Five. But Po's new life of awesomeness is threatened by the emergence of a formidable villain, who plans to use a secret, unstoppable weapon to conquer China and destroy kung fu. Po must look to his past and uncover the secrets of his mysterious origins, only then will he be able to unlock the strength he needs to succeed. The plot was just pure fun for adults and kids, and that is what I love about Dreamworks and PIXAR, they make movies for all ages and keep it just great, and the characters in the film are kept the same and I was glad I got to see more of the Furious Five and a really interesting new villain, a fun time indeed. The voice cast was great, we geat all our old actors and newcomer Gary Oldman who plays the villain Lord Shen who did a great job, I really enjoyed them. The animation was even better this time around and gave one of the most fun animated action films since The Incredibles, you really need to see the beauty in this movie. If you have not seen the first film I would not recommend it, but other than that I seriously think anyone who enjoys fun needs to see this movie right away.
thmtsang
thmtsang

December 10, 2011
Po is adorable as the Dragon Warrior. He seeks to destroy the peacock villain by unlocking his past. He discovers he was adopted.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
This panda adventure felt a lot more rushed than the first film. I was surprised they tried to fit all of the plot events into an hour and a half. The voice cast is superb as well as the vibrant animation. I hope they try to improve the story more for Kung Fu Panda 3.
Anthony L

November 23, 2011
I thought Kung Fu Panda was as good as the first although they do try to cram in a little too much in such a small space of time. The voice cast is huge and host some impressive names but most of them only have a couple of lines in the whole movie, Jackie Chang has an 'and' credit but literally only had one line and even then I didn't recognise his voice. All that aside, that and the fact that it goes down the cliched road of character searching for the truth of their past, inner peace yadda yadda yadda...it's really quite good. I saw it on Blue-ray on a HD TV and I have to say visually, it's very impressive.
3niR
3niR

October 13, 2010
This is better than the first one!
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

September 28, 2010
I'm still found this movie as hilarious as the first one, especially since all the seven main cast still reprising their role to lend their voice in this sequel.. New cast like Gary Oldman, Michelle Yeoh, just made this movie more full of stars.. The story itself still logical, since we never know the past that Po had so exploring them in this sequel is a great idea, since they never end up with ideas when they talked about a sequel.. As I remember, there's more action than the first movie and I'm fine with that... The flow of the story walks rapidly and leave me surprised when this movie ended in less than 90 minutes.. Overall, it's still enjoyable and hilarious as the first movie..
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

September 19, 2010
Kung-fu-tastic! Po and his buddies are back for yet another awesome adventure, only this time more combat-hardened and ready for action. Questing through deep valleys and perilous mountains, it's a journey of great beauty and danger alike. Familiar elements that we loved about the first film are very much present here, but there's also some new aquaintances on both sides of the moral spectrum. A new formidable foe, voiced to perfection by Gary Oldman, adds weight to the story and fits in really well into this colorful, martial arts-laden world. Dreamworks is currently running a tight race with Pixar for best animation company, and has had a very good streak now with a lot of fun and beautifully crafted productions. Sequels within this entertainment form aren't always up to scratch with their predecessors, but this is one of those wonderful exceptions where it far outshines the original. Considerably improved and significantly more enjoyable, it packs quite the punch both visually and entertainment-wise. Hands down my favourite animation flick of the year.
Luke B

September 12, 2011
Same disappointing effort as the first. This time Po must face some demons from his past and discover his inner peace. Once again it is the villain that really impresses, with Gary Oldman getting all the best material. His voice is everything an antagonist needs to be. Calm, sinister, with a certain ounce of charm. The flashbacks are represented in what looks like 2D hand drawn animation. These segments have more depth and emotion than anything else in the film. By this point even Dreamworks' capable skills look tired. Why concentrate so much on the hairs on an animals face when you can't even build up some believable camaraderie between the Furious Five. If at any point I'd believed these characters were in danger I may have actually given a damn about the action sequences. A few jokes work, baby Po is cute, but I can't really recommend this.