Kurutta Kajitsu (crazed Fruit) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
½ December 7, 2008
This Film is from The Criterion Collection. Black & White, Its about a young shy basically Virgin Teen who meets and falls head over heels for a 20 year old girl who is married and also having sex with his older brother, Dam older brothers, mine did the same to me. Anyway shows in the end its not nice to screw over little brother. I enjoy most films from the Criterion Collection, but this one just didn't hit the spot, but filming was good.
Harlequin68
½ January 30, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]"Crazed Fruit" starts with brothers Natsuhisa(Yujiro Ishihara) and Haruji(Masahiko Tsugawa) going to the beach for a day of water skiing, followed by hanging out at their friend Frank's(Masumi Okada) place. The gathering consists entirely of young men with the exception of Michiko(Eiko Higashitani) who Frank brought along. Bored, they invent a game of women poker with each men being tasked to bring three women to a party that night. Haruji trumps all of them by bringing Eri(Mie Kitahara), even outdoing his older brother.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Crazed Fruit" is a subtly potent take on loyalty and the youth culture backed by a vibrant jazz score. During the summer, the characters relax and party without their parents to guide them. Left to their own devices, they stumble into adulthood, making mistakes as they go. At the same time, their view of women change from flirtation to love.[/font]
½ March 14, 2015
Brilliant and seminal.
½ December 2, 2014
Excellent debut film by Ko Nakahira. Crazed Fruit is a tale of young love and lust that garnered a lot of attention for its negative portrayal of contemporary youth.
½ November 22, 2013
Little-known mid-50s Japanese teen drama. Lurid for its time and tame for ours. Still, it's an excellent time capsule.
½ March 20, 2012
A good film, but the ending......what just happened?
June 21, 2011
Crazed Fruits surprised me a lot. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. It's one of the great coming of age stories with a acute touch of humor. I think I was surprised because rarely do I see Japanese movies adapt such modern and youthful subject matters.
½ March 31, 2011
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

A well-acted, written, and directed Japanese film about life and love in post-war Japan. A highly memorable film.
July 8, 2009
Crazed Fruit created quite a stir when it was first released - mainly due to it's depiction of the amoral youths in such a traditional-minded society as Japan. This was post-war Japan, afterall and the youths there too began questioning the values of their elders (very much in keeping with the youths in american & european society which resulted in the social upheavals of the 1960's.)

The story focuses on two brothers (Masahiko Tsugawa & Yojiro Ishihara).
They seem to be part of an affluent but idle class - all they want to do all day is go boating, water ski and chase girls and party with their friends. One day at a train station they meet a beautiful young girl named Eri (Mie Kitahara). The younger brother is immediately stricken with her beauty. They eventually bump into her again and invite her to go boating. It is then that the older brother too becomes attracted to the girl. It's the dynamics of this triangle and the revelations of the girl's character which will drive the drama along.

But I also sense an even subtler, darker theme here too. That the ways of the materialistic and listless youths can also be blamed on the post-war influence of the west - namely the United States.

I think the film retains a freshness in look mainly due it's italian neo-realist style - and is also in keeping with the New Wave in France. The cool and jazzy score fits right in to the story. Some sexually frank scenes may have been a sensation in it's time but relatively quite tame by today's standards.
Harlequin68
½ January 30, 2009
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
January 7, 2008
It turns out there's a Japanese remake of this film; Rotten Tomatoes seems not to have heard of it. I'm in no particular hurry to try finding it myself. I doubt there'd be the same feel to it. I'm sure they'd try to jazz it up; I'm sure they'd make in colour to begin with.

As per usual, I haven't really kept up with everyone's name in this; I'm relying on IMDB, so I'm probably going to screw something up. Anyway, here we go.

There are these two brothers; I'm pretty sure they're named Natsuhisa and Haruji, and I'm pretty sure Haruji's the younger one. They're on a seaside vacation somewhere; I'm sure they say where, but since I've never heard of it, the name has not stuck in my memory. When they reach their destination, Haruji (I think) spots and falls for a girl. Eventually, he meets her and they hit it off. Only it turns out that she's married and trying to have her youth now. We never find out why she married the guy in the first place. But Natsuhisa (I'm pretty sure) somehow convinces her to fool around with him. I'm not sure how or why. But either way, he's torn up about it, and it causes conflict with Haruji (probably), who's innocent and who, further, doesn't know that she's married. The older brother knows the girl--Eri; they say her name often enough so that I'm sure--is married but doesn't tell the younger brother. Bad things happen.

For some reason, they have a friend named Frank. He's actually credited as Hurosawa Frank. Now, this is not a common Japanese name, but we never do find out why he's called that--or, indeed, if that's his real name. Frank is the epitomy of wild, rebellious youth of 1956 Japan. He goes to nightclubs in natty suits. He plays poker. True, he treats his girlfriend kind of badly--well, okay, really badly--but that's not exactly a wild youth thing. He's just kind of a jerk. That's pretty universal. But they're awfully tame for being the worst of 1950s youth.

Okay, the ending's pretty serious, though I'm not going to go into details here. Given the setup above, it could hardly be anything else, after all. But really. These are hardly like American juvenile delinquents of the same era. Not a switchblade in sight, and they're nice to adults. Those rebels!