La Lengua de las Mariposas (Butterfly) (Butterfly Tongues) Reviews

bbcfloridabound bbcfloridabound
June 28, 2013
A European import teaches us how simple and beautiful film can be. `Butterfly' or `Butterfly Tongues' (in some US markets) tells the delightful story of Moncho, a young boy's coming of age as his world opens up through the eyes of his beloved teacher, Don Gregorio. As the teacher brings the boy into the fascinating world of butterflies, the boy begins to emerge from his cocoon. But looming on the horizon is the surgence of a fascist regime that threatens to unravel their innocent world.

In the summer of 1936, which is when the films takes place, the whole of Spain was intertwined in the struggle between the Mussolini inspired Nationalist Party and the Republicans. But as the rest of Europe was being over run by a couple different fascist regimes, Spain was trying desperately to prevent that outcome. The film `Butterfly' brings in these elements and lets these two main characters deal with the impending doom and the heart-breaking aftermath. The film also beautifully depicts these simple folks who are desperately trying to find their way in the world. From one side you have the teacher who is just trying to bring peace to his students and their world. And on the other a young boy trying to understand the gigantic world around him. The teachings of the butterflies are a metaphor for the change coming in Spain and in both of their lives. This metaphor rings cleverly through each character in the film which does beg the question did the teacher know about the coming conflict and was trying to say something subtly. After watching this film, I learned the character of Don Gregorio was played by a legendary Spanish actor named Fernando Fernan Gomez. I could see even before I knew who he was that this man is amazing. I haven't seen this kind of subtle grace since Sir John Gielgud. I wish I had a teacher like him in my life. 5 Stars 6-22-13
RCCLBC RCCLBC
½ March 19, 2008
A wonderful (but tragic) story about a very bright but fragile little boy from a conservative family and the strength and courage that he gets from his very kind and exceptionally wise teacher, who is more liberal minded.
Pierluigi P
August 21, 2007
A heartbreaking microcosmos of spain's socio political situation in the eve of their civil war. told with serenity and wisdom.
Megan S
½ February 9, 2007
Another Spanish class movie. Very good.
mvieaddict mvieaddict
½ November 25, 2009
La Lengua de las mariposa was a gem of a movie. It reminded us how beautiful life can be, but also how cruel the reality of living in a world ruled by politics could affect a child. The movie portrayed the daily life of Moncho's and his family so real and so simple, even through difficult political times.The message in this movie was very clear, it made us see due to fear, people mostly followed the crowd in war situations. Go against friendship to save their own life. This emotional and powerful political message was the backbone of this excellent movie. Acting and directing was amazing.
divinetrash divinetrash
December 14, 2007
A cute movie that's only that: cute. Nevertheless, it has an incredibly heart-breaking ending.
jjb3332003 jjb3332003 ½ March 29, 2009
A beautiful and touching film. So innocent and pure I was teary-eyed throughout. Wonderful casting, directing, and score.
Ricky C April 3, 2011
A tragic movie about Spanish civil war. About how neighbors became sides of the war in one night. A striking story really !
olgakorobova2002 olgakorobova2002 ½ May 6, 2010
Extremely sad and moving film. I don't usually want to cry at the end of movies, but this one's ending brought tears. A bit disorganized and over too quickly with a few scenes that don't really fit in, but overall an extremely poweful film. Not one I would want to watch again for a while, though, since it is so moving.
Mari B ½ December 27, 2007
I could have never imagined the ending to this movie...

Wow!!! Sad!

Where can selfishness take us when we close our eyes not to see
Tani N ½ June 2, 2007
Hooray for little Spanish boys who can act, and Spanish "lisps." Chocolate express, °ay, que rico es!
tainataina tainataina February 1, 2007
This movie set in pre-Franco Madrid follows the life of a little boy as he learns about life, love, and the world around him, as the adults struggle for a free Spain. Very touching.
Takushi Y ½ July 3, 2013
STAR CHANNEL 2, 2013/7/3
Josh M December 19, 2012
A tragic coming of age story about a young boy caught up amongst the political side to the Spanish Civil War with a very powerful message.
The Critic The Critic ½ August 13, 2012
A visually stunning tale, gently told with very real and believable characters played exceptionally well by Fernando Fernan Gomez and young Manuel Lozano, culminating with a statement that makes an impact.

Known as 'The Butterfly's Tongue' in Australia.
Steven L ½ October 26, 2011
A history lesson about the Spanish Civil War would be helpful for fuller understanding, but the story does not suffer from not being completely in the know. It is similar to Cinema Paradiso except that the consequences of the main relationship are more tragic.
Diletta M September 27, 2011
Scusatemi un riassunto di qst film??????
Dave J Dave J June 8, 2011
Wednesday, June 8, 2011

(1999) Butterfly
(In Spanish with English subtitles)

Well filmed especially from the point of view of a curious eight year old who from the first day of school becomes greeted by a teacher whose almost in the midst of retiring, and upon his last remaining days, encourages freedom of thought and religion by using the example of "butterflies" hence the title during the Spanish civil war! The ending is the most powerfulest since it displays how "facism" or religion can affect average civilize people!
Upon reading other reviews about this film, this seemingly short film clocking in 96 minutes(Imdb) but is really about 80- 85 min because of the long previews, this film is really compiled from a bunch of short stories! Made almost identical to "Au Revoir Les Enfants" directed by Lous Malle and more believable than "Pan's Labyrinth" since it consists of one-note characters! The ideology is the same but the transitions are different where the film depends on the fascinating looking demons or folklore of Pan's Labyrinth whereas in Butterfly, the effects of religion or captialists have on people who should be the most closest! May seem very slow to some to anyone who is unfamiliar with Spanish history except that I've seen this type of 'coming to age' story done before, but not quite like this!

A very strong