Movies Like La Ragazza del lago (The Girl by the Lake)

71% Hercules Jul 25

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

La Ragazza del lago (The Girl by the Lake) Reviews

jjb3332003
January 25, 2013
Pretty boring, and the inspector was a rather unlikeable liar.
rthornhill
February 22, 2011
not a thriller, as it is billed on the dvd jacket, but a very well made and acted who dunit with an exceptional performance by servillo.....
April 3, 2012
I really liked it up until the awful ending.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 13, 2011
Cast: Toni Servillo, Denis Fasolo, Nello Mascia, Giulia Michelini, Marco Baliani, Fausto Maria Sciarappa, Franco Ravera

Director: Andrea Molaioli

Summary: Winner of 10 Donatello Awards, this intricate crime thriller follows inspector Giovanni Sanzio (Toni Servillo) as he leaves the big city behind to investigate the murder of a young woman in an alpine country village where startling secrets are buried. Nearing retirement and burdened with family problems, Sanzio is distracted at first but soon finds himself drawn deeper into the web of lies spread by villagers intent on concealing the truth.

My Thoughts: "This is a more of a character driven murder mystery surrounding small town secrets. You will not get an action packed thriller. Toni Servillo does an amazing job carrying the film. He's a very strong lead. The film is beautifully done and well made. In the beginning the film is leading you in one direction and soon takes a sharp turn into an entirely different direction. I liked how it kind of throws you off. There is no dramatic ending, but the film didn't need one. I enjoyed the film and all the twists it brought."
September 4, 2011
I would have expected a better and more shocking ending, as the movie kept trying to build up some huge secret that unfortunatley fell flat in the end.
Philip L.
September 2, 2011
A boring uninspired murder mystery with no big payoff. There were some nice shot sprinkled in but as a whole film it seemed longer than it was. It was never interesting and nothing really happened that would warrant a repeat viewing. I'm still yawning from seeing it.
Hal
July 12, 2011
An intriguing, leisurely paced murder mystery, character-centered rather than action-driven. Features uniformly good acting and excellent color cinematography (setting, framing, movement). I viewed the picture twice and liked it even better the second time, as the various clues and false clues uncovered by the investigation are more clearly revealed. I look forward to seeing more films from this new director, Andrea Molaioli.
GabrielKnight
July 5, 2011
More a drama than a murder mystery, this movie is telling a story of a veteran police detective investigating a murder in a small town. Along the way we learn dark secrets of everyone involved, including the detective. The story is carried for the most part by the dialogue and the characters.
AJAX
October 13, 2010
A very well done relaxed, and subtle murder mystery wrapped with intrigue. It succeeds in its absence of chaos. It allows the viewer to study the characters and story with remarkable ease. While the subplot is lacking in interest, it paints a picture of the detective at the center of the investigation, and you really get a feel for his character. You become as empathetic as you are curious, focused on piecing together the information. Good way to spend 90 minutes. Seek this one out!
September 16, 2010
I saw this film a few months ago and it still comes into my mind...its one of those films that at first when you see it, you think it was very good but as time goes by...you realize that it wasn't just good-it was a memorable, compelling film that resonated deep with you.
PantaOz
PantaOz

September 1, 2010
"The Girl by the Lake" is a movie I saw at the Italian Film Festival in Brisbane... it was my choice because of the director's pedigree: ten times winner of DAVID DI DONATELLO, 3 times winner of NASTRI D'ARGENTO and two times winner of the Venice film festival!

After watching this movie I had to ask myself how did he got all these awards?! Not at one moment was this movie better than the worst episode of "Inspector Rex" on SBS TV...

Unusual murder is to be solved by an inspector who is a main character in a movie which does not have any lead in it... the audience is not sure if the story is about the murder, the inspector, the girl, the killer, the young lady... it was the late show but that was not the reason for a loud snoring in the cinema! Andrea Molaioli owes all of us as a director - wasted night which could be used better.
dodurovan
August 16, 2010
It might have been me (with my constant falling asleep during this film; that can't help!) but I just couldn't get into this film. Pretty slow moving with a lot of screen time where the inspector is just looking off into space it seemed to me (or was I asleep?) He wasn't a bad actor at all. But they could have made it an 80 minute movie with no problem. I didn't like the music either. It was rather obtrusive. I just hope my next week of movies are better than this past week!
sambeam1
July 15, 2010
Compelling murder drama that crosses into maudlin territory too many times.
aswinwilliam
June 17, 2010
A lame crime mystery to describe it. Say no more.
Nachtfalter
January 31, 2009
qualcosa non mi ha convinto...
April 9, 2009
09/04/09
(quasi quattro)
Micoz15
January 12, 2009
Andrea Molaioli ha vinto, grazie a "La Ragazza Del Lago" il Nastro d'Argento come miglior regista esordiente. Condivido, ritenendolo una promesa di belle speranze.
AlessiaAlloggio
March 19, 2008
un film che rimane nel cuore
atrave
February 8, 2008
A very good, atmospheric thriller, where the slow pace of a mountain community hides an intricate network of relationships to be revealed. Great all actors, but Toni Servillo is truly a GOD! If you liked "The Pledge" by Sean Penn, this film has much in common with it.