The Finishing School (The House That Screamed) (The Boarding School) (La Residencia) Reviews

rubystevens
½ October 31, 2013
why are so many of these set in girls' boarding schools? oh never mind
366weirdmovies
May 15, 2011
Murders at a boarding school for wayward, sexually repressed girls. Though set in France and Spanish in origin, it's very much in the Italian giallo style; slow moving but well made, with some very stylish touches. Giallo fanatics will want to bump that star rating up a notch or two.
March 14, 2014
I had to catch this one on YouTube, but it was worth it for the truly enjoyable little potboiler of Gothic suspense.

Worth a look if you get the chance.
November 2, 2012
The House That Screamed was nothing special that I'd watch again but it is something I'd tell somebody to go see if they asked what I thought especially if they didn't have to pay to watch it.I did like that the movie kept me in suspense wondering who the killer was (What a suprise) all the way through with a (Best part of the movie) shocking ending I did NOT see coming at all.
½ October 22, 2009
It was a pretty good movie. It makes me glad I never went to bording school or whatever the school was in the movie. I thought the kid in the move was quiet pervy. I wasn't expecting the ending. Though I tought the plot has been done before, I think that this movie was one of the first to have the plot.
October 8, 2007
Eerie and atmospheric, dream-like horror film is still quite an effective shocker all these years later. The performances and direction are especially good, with striking murders, a nice shower scene and one killer of an ending. This one certainly seems like it was quite influential to other horror filmmakers. Argento was obviously inspired by this one when he made Suspiria (at least in terms of setting and certain murder set-pieces) but this film's director, Narciso Ibanez Serrador, was obviously inspired by Bava's work in the 60s. The film is not a Bava clone, thankfully, and stands on its own quite well. All in all, a moody, creepy horror film. Check it out.
March 10, 2014
This is a ghastly and unnecessarily cruel film. There are few sympathetic characters, and those few are butchered first. This adds considerably to the shocking impact of the film, which however distasteful it may be, lingers long in the memory of the viewer. I admire Argento's SUSPIRIA, but after having recently seen this film, Argento's accomplishment seems much less, so much does he owe (in plot, detail, and treatment) to THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED. Much less colorful and visually attractive than SUSPIRIA, this film can be looked upon as its more somber and brooding elder sister. Serrador's film is among the most memorable horror movies, but I cannot honestly say that I wish he had made more.
½ December 5, 2013
Not a lot really happens, and it seems to drag on for too long. The shock ending is nice, but otherwise the film becomes a bore. There are interesting parts and decent enough characters. Nothing really stood out though.
March 11, 2013
The only thing that was screaming at the end of this movie was me out of frustration! It was slow, dry, the kills were not all that interesting, and you probably could have chopped about half of it down to make it at least watchable. It just seemed to drag on and on. Now, in another review, I said that atmosphere can be something to help a movie along, which this did have some nice moments of creepy atmosphere, but nothing seemed to really happen with it. It was kind of utilized poorly.