La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) (2004) - Rotten Tomatoes

La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) (2004)

La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) (2004)

La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis)

Critic Consensus: A quirky and occasionally funny TV-sitcom blown up to feature length.

La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) Trailers & Photos

Movie Info

St. Marie-La-Mauderne is a tiny fishing village in what some may call the middle of nowhere. For eight years the locals have stood in line for weekly welfare checks, wearing patched sweaters and glum expressions, and remembering the good old days when the catch was good, the fishermen were proud, and life seemed a lot more magical. Then one day, a chance at salvation: a small company wants to build a factory on the island, but only if a full-time doctor lives in St. Marie. The situation seems hopeless until a young doctor in Montreal has an unfortunate incident with a traffic cop and finds himself on a boat to the faraway village. But how to convince handsome, young, urbane Dr. Lewis to stay in this dreary little spot on the map? As it turns out, the answer lies in just a bit of seductive subterfuge--along with a tapped phone, a hastily assembled cricket team, and something called Festival de Beef Stroganoff.more
Rating: Unrated
Genre: Romance, Art House & International, Comedy
Directed By:
Written By: Ken Scott, Ken Scott (V)
In Theaters:

as Chloé Landry
Gisèle Trépanier
as Denise Campeau
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis)

Critic Reviews for La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis)

All Critics (77) | Top Critics (27)

The best thing about Seducing Dr. Lewis is that, like the villagers, director Pouliot and writer Ken Scott seem to grow the story, and our affection for these characters, organically.

Full Review… | December 10, 2004
Detroit Free Press
Top Critic

It's great to escape to these fantasy burgs, especially if they're as quaint and colorfully peopled as Ste. Marie-La Mauderne.

Full Review… | December 3, 2004
Orlando Sentinel
Top Critic

Heart-warming fun it is, and heck, after getting to know its quirky people, it might not be that bad moving to Ste. Marie-la- Mauderne.

Full Review… | October 1, 2004
Miami Herald
Top Critic

You'll enjoy spending a little time with these people, as the film performs a low-key but irresistible seduction of its own.

Full Review… | August 20, 2004
Seattle Times
Top Critic

La Gran Seducción es como St. Marie-La-Mauderne: una isla perdida que intenta (y casi siempre logra) seducir con pocos recursos y mucho ingenio.

Full Review… | October 13, 2005
Uruguay Total

French-speaking Canada's attempt to manufacture a whimsical international crowd-pleaser in the manner of such feature-length Britcoms as 'The Full Monty.'

March 25, 2005
Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN)

Audience Reviews for La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis)

Charming Québecois film that I thank the Toronto Public Library for stocking. (Note to all non-Torontonians: our current mayor is trying to privatize our library system, or if not that, then cut out its heart. I'm not sure that I would ever discover under-marketed Canadian films without our library system, which would be a shame because they only rarely disappoint.)

So, about this movie itself: a very small, remote community is trying to land a factory, but the owners won't move there without there being a doctor in town. When the mayor packs up and leaves under cover of night, a local man attempts to convince the townspeople to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and show the newly arrived Dr. Lewis - exiled there as community service for a misdemeanour - the beauty and charm of small-town life. The ending is a little tidy for me, but overall it's a pleasure to watch. A movie you won't be sorry to have seen, if you can manage to track it down - check your local library first!

Daniel Perry

Obviously a classic among 'québécois' films. And I obviously liked it because my dad plays a damn great part in it... Hehe...

Laurence Collin

A charming French-Canadian movie about a very small town where everyone's out of work. In order to get a badly needed factory built there, they need to sign on a town doctor. The antics they go to are pretty comical. I was told this movie compares to the TV program 'Northern Exposure' so I rented it for my husband because he really liked that show. He wasn't crazy about reading the subtitles but he thought this movie was funny in spite of that.

Ida Kern

La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss La grande séduction (Seducing Doctor Lewis) on our Movie forum!