91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

88% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
44% Working the Engels: Season 1

La Vie de Bohème (Bohemian Life) Reviews

July 31, 2013
We need a US format DVD over here everybody!!!
the66afghans
January 20, 2004
so, I'm watching the movie, I'm on the last scene (of which I won't describe for those who haven't seen it, spoilers and all that) and I'm hearing someone at the door. they're not knocking. it sounds like they're trying to find the right key for the lock. so I, and I think with logic on my side, assume it's my roommate coming home. I don't look up when I hear the door open -- I'm watching a movie -- so I don't know he hasn't come in. well, I'm not positive he hasn't come in. I don't hear footsteps, so I'm thinking that maybe he just opened the door because he needed it ajar so he could bring in a large heavy object (he's in a band, so equipment and such often is moving in and out), one large enough that it would be reasonable that he wouldn't be able to open the door and hold it at the same time. the movie ends, and I move to the VCR to hit rewind and look and notice that he still hasn't come in.

I get up to investigate.

and then this black and white cat comes walking around the corner -- a cat that had followed me from the parking lot to my apartment door (and whom I would refuse to let in, against his objections) on occasions previous -- I turn to look and no one is at the door. it takes a minute of all-consuming pondering, a moment of personal inactivity which the cat would take to stretch itself out along our coffeetable/amp case, to figure out exactly what's going on, but it finally hits me:

THIS CAT FUCKING PICKED THE LOCK AND BROKE INTO OUR APARTMENT.

I grab the bastard and place him outside, and before I can close the door in his face, he scurries right back in. on the second attempt, I placed him a bit further outside and managed to secure the locale.

well, needless to say, I'm freaked out right now. what kind of cat is this? what cat knows how to pick locks? and why is he zeroing in on [b]my[/b] apartment? when I put him out, he spent a good minute trying to get back in (I wisely locked the lock just out of his reach). he hasn't given up.

and this worries me.

about the movie: this was my intoduction to Kaurismaki. a lot of his films were played at the Olympia Film Fest last fall, but I wasn't able to attend (for whatever reason). I'm kind of regretting that now. anyway, Jean-Pierre Leaud is a god and comparisions to Jarmusch seem somewhat apt. I'll say more about the other films I watched this morning in later posts. maybe even something remotely substantial!