La Zona - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Zona Reviews

gor41
½ March 6, 2011
Efficient if unspectacular drama probing the ethics of gated communities. Benefits from its setting in Mexico but says little new that American films (and particularly German 'The Edukators' ) haven't explored adequately.
½ January 3, 2009
It?s easy to get a little lost in the storyline early on here, the acting is of a good standard, but have to admit that I found odd moments boring at times, however the last 15 minutes or so totally make this film and has a very hard impact that insists you take notice.
March 24, 2008
This film was an excellent selection playing at this year's San Diego Latino Film Festival. I doubt if it will receive any sort of promotion or theatrical release in America, but it should.

This is the story of a blocked-off community in the heart of Mexico City. The gated neighborhood is called La Zona and it is a sole entity in the eyes of the city. The residents of this zone have made a pact with the city to be left alone and live in peace. They abide by their own rules and have their own committee which mimics a sort of small-scale government.

However, one night--a breach in security allows for three outsiders to intrude the zone and a manhunt is soon in place to find the men who pose a threat to the safety and security of their idealistic village.

The film is magnificent in its message and social commentary. The performances of every member of the cast were brilliant and brought such gravitas to a project that had potential based on its story; but really needed good actors to carry it through.

The film relies on world-events to make its point loud and clear. It evokes a plethora of emotions in the audience and makes for a really entertaining time--plus it brings a refreshing look at the way we see one another in the world--whether its people living across the street or across an ocean.
March 19, 2008
LA ZONA is more an accomplishment of writing and directing (by newcomer RODRIGO PLA), than of acting, since most of the film's performances are dry and mechanic, with the exceptions of Daniel Giménez Cacho, Maribel Verdú and Daniel Tovar. A very interesting story about violence and corruption that tells us that the worst dangers could be in our own neighborhood.
divinetrash
October 9, 2008
Wow! That "Skimo" guy has more talent in him than I had given him credit before and does a great job as one of the few likeable characters. This film was a little depressing because even though some people claim to be a little too exaggerated, I thought it was still reaslitically portrayed, which was kinda depressing.
½ January 16, 2011
Some may sniff at director Rodrigo Plá's deliberately exaggerated style, but it makes no pretensions to authenticity. Indeed, it's just audacious enough to work.
½ May 19, 2010
All I can say is that the story was good, the message was good but it felt way to slow....to the point I found myself on severe ADD moments!!!
November 24, 2009
La Zona 2007 The Zone. Occasionally a good film will make its way out of Mexico La Zona is one of those films, a fascinating examination at just how far some people will go to maintain their status and their way of life. La Zona is a movie about class differences, corruption, and the greed that resides within all of us. Life is cheap and safety is expensive in this startling fable about haves and have-nots in modern day Mexico. La Zona is a clever thriller in the tradition of Hidden and Lord of the Flies. In Mexico City, a wealthy compound is surrounded by walls and surveillance system to protect the locals against the violence of the slums. Calling this a "gated community" is not entirely accurate. It looks more like a fortress with massive metal gates protecting the rich homeowners from the riff raff outside. During a stormy night, a billboard falls over the wall and three smalltime thieves cross the border through the breach to rob. They break into a house and kill an old lady; the residents organize militias to chase the delinquents. Two of them and one security guard are murdered by the vigilantes, but the sixteen year old Miguel hides in the basement of the teenager Alejandro. When Alejandro finds Miguel, he feeds and helps the boy. Sixteen-year-old Alejandro (Tovar) is shaken by the killings and uncomfortable with the vigilante intensity of dad Daniel (Cacho) and the other residents. They agree to handle things on their own at a community meeting, but then begin to turn on each other when it's suspected a resident tipped off the outside police. Meanwhile, Alejandro discovers Miguel in the basement, and, while initially wary, he realizes the pathetic, frightened kid needs to get out of La Zona if he's to remain alive. Twisted values and fear-driven Mob madness form the core of this film. It is an impressive feature debut that shows us the horrors of vigilante justice, doing more than putting the haves against the have-nots. This film tackles issues of privilege, responsibility and group mentality in many ways. The film finishes with a punch. Santullo's script write writes not showing us anything in strictly black-and-white terms. She doesn't downplay the burglars' criminal intentions. She gives us a background for Daniel's reasons for seeking justice outside official channels; She makes him a more three-dimensional figure. But message is clear: The residents of La Zona think their wealth sets them apart from everyone else, giving them special consideration and even power over life and death. The film poses a number of interesting questions regarding taking the law into your own hands, with regards to segregation, paranoia and insularity, rich versus poor, good versus bad, and it's not a bit subtle about it. Actor's performances are strong; Even stronger is Antonio Munohierro's perfect art direction. Whether designing a verdant golf course in full view of desperate slums or the sewers of his overly natural-perfect community-- the art direction becomes as important as the action as the characters themselves. Production values are top-notch. The issues that Pla tackles in the film almost feel like allegory, and the inherent social commentary within the film is great. It's not deep or difficult to find; it's simply handled in a raw manner that feels fresh. A sharp social satire, the film shows us a disturbingly close up view of the reality of segregated communities in many parts of South America. (And America) La Zona refuses to let the audience off the hook with easy resolutions, however. The film neither demonizes nor makes excuses for the intruders, and harshly condemns the justice system both within and outside La Zona. Even the â??good cop," resorts to thuggish behavior. With rolling blackouts and a mood of increasing paranoia, La Zona echoes the classic "Twilight Zone" episode "The Monsters- Maple Street," which put suburban neighbors at each others throats. La Zona takes place in a similar ethical twilight. he movie is definitely worth viewing. A big hit at box office throughout Latin America, "La Zona" found good acceptance in theaters north of the border. The film?won best first feature? at the Venice Film Festival 2007. The film has been criticized of relying on implausibility, stupid-inconsistent characters & convenient movie thriller conventions and that these detracted from any wider morally instructive points the film might have had. I disagree It's a movie I am willing to suspend my belief to get the film makers intent. It is rare to have this good of a film from our neighbor to the south. It's one of the most accomplished feature debuts I have seen in many years. 4 stars
January 12, 2009
This gem from Mexico turns class struggle into a taught thriller / morality tale that will seem all too familiar to those of us who know what life is like south of the border, and a warning to those countries that lack the fundamental element of prosperity - a middle class.
December 20, 2013
Cidade do México, México. Alejandro (Daniel Tovar) é um adolescente que vive em La Zona, um condomínio fechado protegido por guardas particulares. No dia de seu aniversário três jovens de uma favela vizinha invadem o local, para assaltar uma das casas. Durante o assalto eles matam uma mulher, mas a empregada consegue fugir e avisa a segurança. Os guardas reagem e matam dois dos invasores, mas Miguel (Alan Chávez) consegue escapar. Logo em seguida um grupo de moradores se reúne na casa de Alejandro, onde fica decidido que nada será dito às autoridades e que eles próprios procurarão o 3º invasor pela propriedade do condomínio.
½ September 3, 2012
A foreign film - which I don't normally watch. The movie contrasted the fearful response of the wealthy to the gracious response of the teenage boy who is transformed by his relationship with the accused. Main message: when we get to really know others we are less likely to treat them poorly.
August 28, 2012
The gulf between rich and poor is not so great when it comes to morality it seems - a very clever film.
½ May 23, 2012
The best part of the film happens in the last 20 minutes. Until then it didn't really work form me. Still, the story it tries to portray is very disturbing, but also quite interesting.
½ January 25, 2012
Shocking due to its truthfulness.
½ November 21, 2011
Rich scum hunt hapless thief like an animal. Brutal corrupt police take large bribe to look other way. Nice.
½ September 26, 2011
Excelente, y a la vez triste, película sobre las desigualdades sociales en los países pobres; la corrupción y el poder, envenenado, del dinero.
June 3, 2011
"La zona - propriété privée"
½ January 16, 2011
March 16, 2011
Hard-hitting story of vigilantism in modern society. It's a very effective story given that it contains a lot of different themes concerning society in Urban Mexico.
½ March 10, 2011