93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

82% Satisfaction: Season 1
87% The Strain: Season 1
85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

L'Abīme des morts vivants (The Treasure of the Living Dead)(Oasis of the Zombies) Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

November 25, 2008
Without a doubt the very worst Zombie Movie I have seen to date. I found this in the Mill Creek Chiller Classic 50 Movie collection. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10ft pole otherwise. The Zombies had plastic eyes that looked two different directions, it was a joke, slow, took forever to see the zombies, pass it up.
October 22, 2010
I decided to dive into a Franco boxset going in order from lowest IMDB rating to best, so I wasn't expecting this to be anything less than terrible. I was not disappointed in that expectation.

A bunch of remarkably cheap looking zombies make short work of explorers, there's some terrible acting, etc. It's as silly as you might expect, but I suppose it might be fun if you have friends around to poke fun at it with you.

Pass.
March 31, 2014
The story is stale and cracked with hardly any development or dept, but it has a classy grindhouse feel and some nasty effects. There's not a lot of zombie action, but it still manages to show interest and give us campy characters and gore, plus some suiting war scenes.
January 17, 2014
AVOID THIS FILM AT ALL COSTS
KevinRobbins
May 6, 2013
Let the dead die. Bury the dead.

Legends of Nazi gold in the African desert intrigue a group of treasure hunters. They put together an expedition to find the oasis and uncover the gold. Shortly after arriving in the desert members of the expedition go missing. What the treasure hunters don't know is that the Nazi are still there to protect their treasure...

"What was that?"
"I don't know. Maybe frogs."
"Of course, desert frogs. What was I thinking?"

Jesus Fraco, director of Vampyros Lesbos, The Awful Doctor Orlof, Dracula contra Frankenstein, Incubus, Snake Woman, Jungle of Fear, and Broken Dolls, delivers Oasis of the Dead. The storyline for this picture is fairly average. The action scenes are just okay but the make-up and special effects were way better than I anticipated. The cast delivers mediocre performances and includes France Lomay, Manuel Gelin, Jeff Montgomery, and Henri Lambert.

"What happened to him?"
"He met the walking dead."

I had glanced-over this film a couple times while scrolling through the Netflix queue and decided to give it a shot. The film was just okay and nothing special overall but definitely worth a viewing for fans of the zombie genre. Overall, this isn't awful, isn't great, not worth adding to your DVD collection, but not a complete waste of your time either.

"This place is damned."

Grade: C
peter h.
October 30, 2012
Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews

Jesus "Jess" Franco's THE TREASURE OF THE LIVING DEAD/ OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES/ THE OASIS OF THE LIVING DEAD/ BLOODSUCKING NAZI ZOMBIES [1982]: From prolific Spanish Cult moviemaker Jesus "Jess" Franco came back in 1982 an unbelievably PAINFUL zombie movie. Franco who was behind some cult gems like VAMPYROS LESBOS [1971] has made what I would like to call HISTORIES WORST ZOMBIE MOVIE! Consider that the concept involved Nazi Zombies its mind numbing how this film can be so DULL.

Titled and issued under every bloody title like THE TREASURE OF THE LIVING DEAD for one, THE OASIS OF THE LIVING DEAD & OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES (which is what I'm going to call this film in this review) and my all time Favourite BLOODSUCKING NAZI ZOMBIES. Franco was humble for the sake of prolific schlock name to hide behind pseudonyms of A.M Frank for direction & A.L Mariaux for screen writer. Considering that in the case of the film makes him an Anti- Auteur, the viewers' interest in the film evaporates faster that water in the Sahara desert!

PLOT: During World War Two in some undisclosed North African Nation, A legion the German Afrika Korps transporting stolen gold is attacked by a Platoon of British Soldiers in a remote Oasis. As result the oasis becomes haunted by the living dead. For some reason in 1980, 1981, or 1982 various groups go after the gold and are set upon by zombies.

THOUGHTS: As a horror film it simply isn't scary, as a zombie film it doesn't focus of the drama the characters and also it isn't as gory as some notorious living dead epics, and as a movie it isn't ENTERTAINING! With pacing issues and engaging plot development, the unnecessary & over use of the zoom lens, the lack of unease, dread, and tension that make a good zombie film excellent. Also added to the mix is officially the goofiest zombie ever committed to celluloid. For an 82 minute movie it feels like you have spent a month lost in the desert and extremely desperate to find traces of human civilization. My recommendation for this film is only for Bad movie buffs (such as myself) and as for Zombie Fans stick to DEAD SNOW [2009] for a good Nazi Zombie film, 20%.
SpottedHammerhead
April 26, 2012
This movie starts encouraging enough with 2 girls in short shorts in the jungle. After this scene the story starts and it is just tedious. I liked the cheapness of the zombies when you finally saw them but i was confused as the zombies stumbled around unless they wanted to become athletic and then that did that as well.
Did I use the FF button: No but I wanted too
Gore: 3/10
Horror: 2/10
Gratuitous nudity: 2/10
If I lost this DVD I would: replace it cheaply

I would love a copy of the original movie poster for this movie though.
jeremiah_thompson
September 17, 2010
The worst zombie film I've ever seen!
Chaozengine
September 17, 2010
Okay, another movie - let's see if this one is better than others...

Oasis of the Zombies starts out well enough (that is two top-heavy girls in shorts stumble into an oasis). As the girls explore, they discover machinery from WWII (including obligatory swastika), suddenly they're attacked by - apparently - zombies (otherwise the movie would be titled something else, right?).

The action shifts to two treasure hunters who kill the only known person to know where $6 million in Nazi gold is hidden - guess where - in the same oasis!

Once again the action shifts to a young man who was the son of the deceased dude who knew where the treasure was. He learns of his father's death who reads his memoirs and leads us into an unnecessary (and LONG)flashback concerning what happened to the Nazis, the Allied soldiers, and the gold.

::: Wakes up :::

Hey, the flashback is over! Now a group of college-age students decide to go after the gold themselves.

So now the 'fun' ensues as the two groups begin to converge on the oasis.
Group one gets there first and begins to look for the gold only to be attacked by the zombies (finally!). You're actually glad that the zombies are attacking because of the sheer boredom. Eventualy, the group one get's eaten up except for one guy. Ok, there isn't much eating actually shown except for the sole woman of the group who is obviously naked at this point with a zombie between her and the camera who is 'eating her flesh'.

Group two meanwhile goes shopping, finds other people, and eventually meets the lone survivor of group one (who actually murdered the young man's father in group two).

If you stopped caring at this point - don't worry, so have I. This movie is difficult to watch. The story is a mess, there's no focus and the zombies look dumb. Even the couple of women in this film are just background characters and do nothing to even maintain our interest (other than 1 brief topless scene). The characters are completely nondescript and frankly there's nothing for the brain to even grasp at - eventually YOU become the zombie.

[i]Eventually, [/i]they get to the oasis and of course zombies attack; but by then you don't care - you're just bitter.

Fun Rating: 2 ([i]Maybe[/i] worth a chuckle to Euro-shlockers but other than that) I can forgive you for giving up on this movie midway thru and I nearly turned the player off. The action happens far too late for anyone to care.

Interest Rating: 1 (honestly, I can't see anyone who would want to purchase this film) If somebody gives it to you I suppose you could tape over it; at least that way it'll be useful again.

Total Rating: 2
SteveMiller
Oasis of the Zombies
Starring: Actors who didn't want their real names on the film
Director: Someone who was too embarrassed to admit who he really was (even if the world now knows it was Jess Franco, making a worse-than-usual movie, even by the low expectations we have of him)

Two competing groups head to a distant oasis in search of Nazi gold. They are eaten by Nazi zombies, who are guarding the treasure for who-knows-what-reason. These Nazi zombies are of a special variety of zombies who always fondle a woman's crotch while attacking her; they don't seem to do the same to their male victims, though. In the end, a pair of survivors, our cypherous hero and our bland heroine, discover the meaning of life... but they never do find the treasure.

Yes, I spoiled the movie. Actually, I can't really spoil it, because it's one of the absolute worst movies ever made. I wouldn't have thought someone could go wrong with Nazi zombies guarding a massive haul of loot... but someone did.

Don't get ANY of the standalone versions, even if they're probably copied from better quality prints than the one I viewed (which was included in "Chilling Classics" and was so faded at points it was impossible to see what was going on. Which was probably a blessing.

I've written far more about "Oasis of the Zombies" than it deserves, but I feel it's my duty as a compassionate human being to warn the B-movie lovers of the world that in the case, the "B" stands for "Bowel-movingly Bad".
jazza923
September 17, 2010
Dreadful Spanish horror film. Cheap, horrendous score, ludicrous plot with poor production values and awful acting. Bad bad bad.