Lake Placid Reviews

bbcfloridabound
November 15, 2013
I love genre-bending movies, and especially those that mix horror with comedy. That puts me dead center of the target demographic of this film. The plot is pretty silly and there certainly isn't enough action for anyone looking for scares. What saves it is the script. It's witty and never takes itself too seriously. The characters are all foils for one another, setting up some of the most entertaining dialog of any movie I know.
The plot revolves around a 30 foot Asian crocodile somehow winding up in a lake in Maine - go figure. What makes the movie are the characters assembled to do something about it. Bridget Fonda is an annoying paleontologist who's never before ventured out of her museum. Here, she plays both the archetypal fish out of water as well as potential romantic interest for the local game warden, played by Bill Pullman. The essential characters are rounded out by Brendan Gleeson's dour sheriff, Oliver Platt's rich and eccentric mythology buff, and Betty White as the colorful local little old lady with a secret or two.
As I said, reduced to a plot outline, it's pretty unimpressive, but the verbal barbs that fly back and forth between the characters are what make the show. It's an "action/horror" movie I could watch with my eyes shut and still enjoy. 5 Stars 11-05-13
October 21, 2011
To begin with its not even Lake Placid, but some other lake, this one up in Maine ("the graveyard of horror!" ... I just said that. I don't know if its true. Like the sound of it though. London's maybe the real graveyard ... anyway ) and there's something in the water, something big, and its eating people. Funny and cool creature feature.
TheDudeLebowski65
February 13, 2011
Lake Placid I believe is a very underrated film. The film seems to be crucified by the fact it was written by Alley McBeal creator, David E. Kelly. If you can get past this fact, Lake Placid is a very entertaining horror comedy. The acting is decent at best and the scares are good enough, but the film works because it is entertaining and is meant to be a fun film to watch. The film's story is about a killer larger than life crocodile, and the hunt to capture it. With a script laced with tongue and cheeks humour, Lake Placid is different killer creature film. The films humour does get nerve racking at times, but considering the length of the film, in the end you don't care. If you like silly horror films, then you'll most likely want to watch this film.Veteran horror director Steve Miner (Friday The 13th Part 2, 3, House, Halloween H20) directs this film with wit, and Minder definitely knows how to craft a good, fun, B movie style creature film. Even if Lake Placid is flawed, this is still a very good little film. A fairly good effort in general, Lake Placid manages to combine Silliness with decent enough horror element. This film can definitely be seen as an introduction to a horror film for people who are new to the genre. The film will probably appeal to a younger, more ripe horror crowd who can't handle films such as The Exorcist. If you're new to horror and want a killer creature film, then watch this one or Jaws. This is fairly soft in it's horror themes to appeal to people who would usually hate the genre due to the fact that it's too intense.
April 7, 2007
So much fun. Great cast, great script and the Citizen Kane of Croc movies.
½ September 29, 2009
A stinky floater.
½ August 15, 2009
I don't see why "Lake Placid" didn't do better in theatres and isn't more popular than it is. Sure, it's not a classic like "Jaws" and it's not that scary, but it is a solid horror movie in its own right. Somehow, a crocodile has ended up in the cold waters of Maine and some scientists and policemen must do what they can to capture or kill the giant reptile. Of course, the policemen and scientists get in a few arguments about what they should do with the crocodile and how they should do it.
"Lake Placid" has some memorable scenes such as when a cow is used as bait for the alligator and also some good acting from all the actors and actresses, especially Betty White. The special effects are also done well. The way the crocodile looks and moves looks realistic. Bottom line, "Lake Placid" might not be one of the best movies of all time, but it's not that bad. I recommend anybody to add it to their collection of movies. My only complaints are that it was too short and at times it's somewhat predictable. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. I love horror movies like this that feature a certain kind of animal or being. Lake Placid wasn't as good as I was anticipating, but still nice and worth watching or even owning if you enjoy the genre.
½ April 8, 2008
This movie is average. It's extremly common and typical: Giant crocodile, killing random people, who will survive? It's your every day horror flick. It's nothing different, and has no orginality too it.

Positive notes: It's actually pretty funny, though it's been done a 100x it remains pretty interesting, and the storyline is not quite as bad as you would think.

It's worth watching, but nothing special.
February 3, 2008
even at age 10, I was disappointed with this flick
deano
November 30, 2006
The monster in question resides in tranquil Black Lake, in the backwoods of Maine, where it routinely chomps on anybody foolish enough to fall into the water. But deft script and engaging characters aside, something must have gone wrong during production, because the film concludes - very adruptly - just as it has kicked into gear. Matters are resolved so quickly that you're likely to feel cheated. let's therefore call this one suspenseful, skillfully scripted, well-performed, and quite entertaining... for two-thirds of a movie.
FiLmCrAzY
October 8, 2007
scary and has funny bits surprised they didnt make a second one because at the end u see little small crocs there
½ September 3, 2007
Laughable.
garyX
½ December 26, 2006
Enjoyably daft creature feature in which everyone seems to lose their heads (literally.) Ridiculous and it knows, nay REVELS, in it!
½ July 7, 2007
It's a big cheese crocodile movie which feels forced. Betty White can't save it with her humourous quips. There's no great battles or people being eaten. I wanted to forget it.
May 22, 2007
I love this movie. Oliver Platt is hilarious in this film, but its pretty damn creepy.
skactopus
May 22, 2007
Just by looking at the cover you would be expecting a monster movie with the chowing down of many people. Well, the first few minutes makes the movie seem that way but after a while you will see it is a tad different. This isn't really a horror movie at all, although it can be a tad suspenseful at times. The gore factor is at a minimum with only a few severed body parts throughout the entire film.The acting isn't too bad, but it isn't spectacular either. Oliver Platt and the few scenes with Betty White provide the comedy in this movie to actually liven it up, which it really does need. Although Platt is funny he may also get on your nerves at times. Be warned. Brendan Gleeson actually does a pretty good job with his character and he is always butting heads with Platt which is entertaining to watch.This movie is by no means a classic but it can be worth your time for at least one see through on a lonely evening at home.
March 30, 2007
A mildly entertaining creature feature. It's quite camp at times and not serious at all, but does have a bit of gore.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 12, 2007
should have been good...wasnt
½ December 28, 2006
It's actually pretty funny.
½ October 18, 2006
Suprisingly funny. Worth it just to hear Betty White use the word COCKSUCKER.
June 3, 2006
A brilliantly well written horror comedy. Lake Placid has wit and fantastic verbal sparring by the bucketloads. The comedy is mainly thanks to the genius pairing of Platt and Gleeson as a pair at war with each other. The CGI is slightly dated now but there isn't that much to effect the film. A nice short running time means it deals with it's crocodile plot and gets it over with.