The Land Before Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Land Before Time Reviews

May 24, 2016
Wow. This movie is a million times better than I remember it. The writing is top notch with a powerful message of loss, adventure, and even prejudice. The animation is amazing with some unbelievable action scenes and terrific backgrounds. The characters are complex and very realistic combined with the messages. This is some of the best that animation has ever offered in film. It's one of my favorite films of all time. I couldn't be happier to say that I've seen it.
May 20, 2016
one of those nostalgic films that pulls at your heart. The children are genuinely children, I think a lot of thought was put into their characters. it's as much a history lesson as it is a teaching tool. Don Bluth films rock.
October 2, 2011
I just didn't like that much as a kid. I still don't.
½ May 14, 2016
Very much a kids film about a group of talking dinosaurs that go looking for a fertile valley which their families have abandoned them for. While this is fairly dull it is only an hour long and clearly has had a very big influence on the countless animations containing mildly humourous talking animals going on a journey somewhere.
½ July 18, 2015
One of my childhood favorites, and the reason I still like dinosaurs to this day.
½ April 25, 2016
4.5/5. A really fantastic movie that holds up well. A lot darker than I remember it being. I only wish it were longer.
November 3, 2011
"The Land Before Time" is a classic kid's animation. It has a good cast of characters and a decent little plot. Sadly this film has been somewhat diminished in it's stature over the years by an onslaught of direct-to-video sequels that director Bluth had nothing to do with. The first film, however, is still very well made and heartwarming fun for the family. Don Bluth left Disney because the environment there wasn't conducive to making good animated films anymore, and I have no doubt that his leaving the company and producing animated films that rivaled Disney's in quality, and received more critical acclaim and financial success than even the contemporary Disney films of the 1980s, played a big part in Disney getting things in order and producing "The Little Mermiad" and the subsequent films of the so-called Disney Renaissance of the 1990s. Bluth may not been at Disney anymore, but I think he was a big factor in them getting their act together.
April 10, 2016
It's got some charm, and some surprisingly emotional moments. I do feel they edited it to be a bit short, and I would have had a lot more journey in it, but for what it is, it works.

Thumb's Up.
January 16, 2016
Short but sweet...but short. An archetypal family film that lead to movies like Ice Age and Lion King. Very cutesy, almost to a fault, but still containing death and peril (though toned way down for kids). Cera's a loud bitch, the pacing was off, continuity errors, and the music was distractingly inappropriate at times. But the animation was great and it is a childhood classic. Plus dinosaurs are awesome (even cute fake silly ones).
February 18, 2016
I saw this movie when I was a kid I liked it I would say it was interesting to see what dinosaurs looked like along time ago. But it's a good kids movie
February 25, 2013
Siempre fuí de la opinión de que esta maravillosa película es un CLÁSICO, una maravilla completa e integra dentro del cine de animación, precursora de una moda y BUM estallido social de dinosaurios detrás de ella. Cuándo aprendí las técnicas del dibujo y pude juzgar más esta película en relación a sus gráficos pude dar una opinión practicamente irreversible: Es la mejor película animada de la historia.
March 26, 2014
One: Perfect Images, perfect graphics= is art, much art. Two: Don Bluth is a genius, and this movie is brilliant. Three: Rescuer of tradition. Four: Best that Disney. Five: Only this: the best film in the animation!!!!!!!!!! five star only??? One million stars!!!!!
½ January 31, 2016
This is truly an animated classic that feels like a Disney movie, but it's not. The good, strong morals, memorable characters, and colorful animation are what make it a classic. It's a shame that it came out around the time when Disney wasn't doing very well with their films. This a movie that I'll show to my kids because sharing your childhood with the next generation is a beautiful thing. I loved it when I was young and I still do to this day.
January 30, 2016
We'll I loved that movie becuse In the begining mama longneck was the daughter of grandma and grandpa longneck she had a son littlefoot she gives him a tree star and explained about the greet valley she we'll porected littlefoot to save him form sharptooth I felt sad that she dies she we'll be with her son with her holly spirt to lead him to the greet valley
January 15, 2016
I guess I could add this as one of the better dinosaur movies. It's also an absolute childhood classic.
½ November 14, 2015
The film that started it all. The movie I grew up with along with its sequels. "The Land Before Time" is short, sweet, and straightforward. Kids will love this especially their parents who finds the message about courage, friendship, and love encouraging. Can be dark at times, not to mention depressing, but it has enough joy to enlighten up the room. Highly recommend it.
November 3, 2015
Great kid's flick that my son loved when he was little, as did my niece. I was so happy to find her a Little Foot stuffed animal, because my son sure wasn't giving up his.
October 31, 2015
i still love this movie
October 18, 2015
It's been near enough thirty tears since I saw this movie in the cinema with my mum and grandma. It is still beautifully animated, full of charm but also, THAT moment, is still as sad as ever. Loved it.
½ October 15, 2015
The Land Before Time is a charming and unforgettable movie that seamlessly blends mild social commentary, deep life insight, and plenty of fun. It's a film fit for all ages, and it will speak to all audiences, in one way or another. The film plays as well today as it did about a quarter-century ago and is one of the few that's all but guaranteed to remain a classic for many decades to come.