The Landlord - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Landlord Reviews

March 3, 2016
2016 should watch this.
November 26, 2014
Groundbreaking and timeless romance exploring issues of racism and class privilege. From the director of Harold and Maude Hal Ashby.
October 5, 2014
Scattershot, bizarre, but at times brilliant, inter-racial comedy of sorts. The visual style and editing is really distinctive and Hal Ashby here found his groove immediately on this striking, debut film.
August 4, 2014
Unassuming but brilliant little comedy drama about an aimless rich kid, Beau Bridges, who decides to "run away from home" and busy an apartment building with the plan of evicting the tenants and renovating the building to suit his own liking. However, Bridges finds himself bonding with the racially, culturally and politically diverse tenants and things change. The film gets even more fun when Bridges' wealthy family is pulling into the apartment building and meeting his new acquaintances. The was director Hal Ashby's directorial debut and he does a fabulous job of populating a film of likable and entertaining characters, including Lee Grant as Bridges' mom, Pearl Bailey, Louis Gossett, Jr. and Hector Elizondo and building tenants and you can never go wrong with anything that Robert Klein does. Highly enjoyable and a film that I'd never even heard of until I listed to a Mark Maron podcast where Leonard Malton mentioned this as one of his favorite films of the 1970s. Luckily, TCM happened to be showing this film.
April 25, 2014
Hal Ashby's directorial debut. The studio didn't know quite what to do with it but it's well worth seeking out. You won't be sorry.
½ July 8, 2012
Good, entertaining film. I've never seen Beau Bridges in a starring role, I don't think. He owned it well. Probably quite an important film at the time in the US regarding race relations an all.
½ July 19, 2013
Beau Bridges stars as a spoiled rich kid who wants to renovate slum apartments for himself, that is until he meets the tenants. A winning debut from director Hal Ashby. A biting comedy-drama that says a lot more about race and race relations than the way too late "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner". Nice performances all around. May not be for every taste (especially those who are just used to today's movies) but those who find themselves attuned to it will find themselves rewarded.
½ June 1, 2013
The Super was better.
½ June 7, 2008
Hal Ashby's feature directing debut is a poignant social satire about racial tensions in New York, extremely well acted by Beau Bridges and Lee Grant in an Oscar-nominated role.
½ April 9, 2013
You look like a racist to me. You've got funny eyes.

Elgar is a twenty-nine year old rich white kid who recently acquired a rental property in the ghetto. He serves as the landlord and initially plans to tear the property down and build a house; however, after getting to know the residents, he has some hesitancy to build his dream home. Will Elgar give in to peer pressure of his friends of family or keep the property as is?

"You know what NAACP stands for? Nigers ain't always colored people."

Hal Ashby, director of Harold and Maude, The Last Detail, Coming Home, Being There, Shampoo, and The Slugger's Wife, delivers The Land Lord. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and fun to watch unfold but not overly original or unique. The characters are fascinating and the script is fairly well written. The cast delivers fun performances and includes Beau Bridges, Lee Grant, Diana Sands, Louis Gossett, and Marki Bey.

"I think you have a castration complex."

I saw a preview for this film while flicking through the channels randomly and decided to give it a shot. I did find this movie entertaining and fun to watch unfold but some scenes were cheesy, some were interesting, and some were funny. This movie was worth watching once but I wouldn't say it was culture changing or worth watching in the classroom.

"You lazy, no good, liberal."

Grade: B-
April 9, 2013
I hadn't heard of this until I saw an ad for it on TCM. It's a broad satire of gentrification, with very Hal Ashby-an cuts and it's so dated, but it was very, very entertaining.
March 4, 2013
Not sure why they call it a comedy. Lots of great actors and great acting. Good reflection of people and their views for that period it was made.
½ April 25, 2011
Hal Ashby really was different class
September 25, 2012
quirky racial satire
May 1, 2012
Hal Ashby's debut film is very honest, witty and funny. The dramatic twist is poignant, though for me it disembalances the perfect farcical tone it had at first.
April 8, 2012
Wonderful film with a young Lou Gossett Jr., Beau Bridges, and a talented actress named Diana Sands who passed away before her time. A must see indeed.
½ April 5, 2012
One of the first early films to star Gossett, but not only that, it has the late Diana Sands, who sadly died a few years later of cancer in here as a woman who gets pregnant by her landlord while being with Gossett, and causes a funky brew.
February 21, 2012
Hal Ashby is a freaking rock star. And that's that.
January 15, 2012
This was an odd one. I couldn't tell it was trying to be surreal, hip, funny or preachy. Still Beau Bridges was pretty believable as the bored son of rich folks and some of it was quite amusing in an odd way.
December 10, 2011
recommended by Eric, magnolia12883.