• Lantana

76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Lantana Reviews

Cynthia S

December 14, 2013
3 1/4 stars....A fairly interesting movie, but just barely. Really slow. Anthony LaPaglia went through this movie showing the same forlorn face all throughout. I was having a difficult time staying interested...
Dan S

April 19, 2013
A brilliant, subdued near-masterpiece concerning feeling lost and numb to one's marriage, as seen through the eyes of different people who are all connected through various odd coincidences. The acting across the board is terrific, especially Anthony LaPaglia as a cop with emotional problems and suffering from guilt after cheating on his wife (Kerry Armstrong). Certainly a very depressing and hard-hitting film that is not afraid to get its hands dirty, but the way it analyzes different situations with such perception and tender care is certainly admirable and impressive. Hard-hitting and not for everyone, definitely an adult movie, but a genuinely fascinating look at marriage and the careless decisions people make in order to find happiness that only proves to be fleeting in the end.
Lady D

March 23, 2007
This Australian gem is an impressive watch with a faultless cast who were all such natural Actors and gave the film a truly realistic feel.

The merging of characters and circumstances were quite seeemlessly delivered to the audience, leaving the film to be unpredictable.

For those who appreciate Actor driven films, this I'm sure, you will enjoy.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

April 24, 2009
not to sure i fully understood this but i dunno ill probably have to watch it again then give review
Leigh R

November 7, 2006
Eh!
Drew S

January 23, 2008
The obvious inspiration for sister film Jindabyne, Lantana is stronger simply by account of a more focused plot and a larger, yet still interesting cast of characters. The big theme here is infidelity of many kinds - betrayal of trust in general - and the murder here is a perfect conduit for revealing these things.

Anthony LaPaglia has always been kind of a one trick pony, but his trick happens to suit him very well here. He's a prick, but not a totally unapproachable one; the issues that he certainly has seem like ones that could be ironed out with the right kind of attention. You want the character's circumstances to improve, so he can improve himself. Geoffrey Rush is fantastic, handling a crucial character twist so flawlessly that it breaks your heart. Barbara Hershey and Kerry Armstrong are also interesting as the women involved in these affairs, Rachael Blake makes a solid studious neighbor, and the young couple are suitably optimistic and likable. The performances are all even and intelligent, suiting the ensemble cast perfectly - it is exactly what the movie needs to flourish. Because so little ultimately happens in Lantana, the characters are what the movie needs to shine, and shine they do.

I guess I could elucidate that obvious titular metaphor for you, but the movie does it pretty blatantly. The kind of explosive blooming of many different people...
Lanning :

March 18, 2006
Total manipulation of the audience. Nice ensemble cast. If not for the weak ending unraveling a bit too expectedly, a great movie.
toejambaseball24
toejambaseball24

September 24, 2011
Great characters, relationships between the characters, and great performances illuminate this film to another level. One you learn to accept all the coincidences going on, you'll find yourself enthralled by this web that writer Andrew Bovell has spun.
mvieaddict
mvieaddict

May 11, 2009
Lantana turned out to be a pleasant surprise. I knew little about it before watching it and, from the initial scene, I thought it was going to be a murder mystery, but it turned out to be an excellent psychological drama that involved the interactions of the lives of these characters.Geoffrey Rush had the perfect face to realize his character's disconnections. Barbara Hershey perfectly played a psychiatrist with her own problems.Kerry Armstrong's portrayal of a woman struggling with her marriage.Then Anthony La Plagia played Leon Zat, who due to his investigations got involved with all of the other characters. The acting was superb. The endings, for each of the main characters, was very clear.
July 30, 2007
This has nothing to do with playing the guitar. I want my money back. What's that? S-antana? Really? OH JEEZ.
dukeofpearl
April 29, 2007
This solid, well acted story which weaves the woes of adult relationships should have had Hollywood taking particular notice of this impressive and overlooked Australian effort starring Anthony LaPaglia & Barbara Hershey. This is a delicate and complicated story of men and women getting tangled in adultery that somehow is subtly meshed within a baffling murder mystery. This does get complex but still remains surprisingly credible and keeps viewer glued with interest and fascination. Geoffrey Rush lends a subdued yet solid support but it's Kerry Armstrong's performance that like this story will tug at your heart strings as well as challenge your thinking.
jjb3332003
March 29, 2009
Despite the fact that this has all been done before, an all-star Australian cast and a good ending make this worth watching.
macabrescribe
November 7, 2009
This is prime example of why movie-goers should never listen to critics. I can definitely see why certain critics love it. The movie attempts to be layered and intricate in a subtle way - which it does - but it's so fucking boring. The story is anticlimactic and the acting is incredibly dull. I've never seen Geoffrey Rush and Barbara Hershey give such undemanding performances. I would never recommend Lantana to anyone under any circumstances.
clarinet719
May 4, 2008
Truly heartbreaking film. Great Aussie cast, and although it's terribly angsty, I felt such compassion for all of the characters. This is a film about real people.
vidascott1
April 8, 2008
Some poignant points raised here. Almost a good screenplay and not too badly acted. Total waste of Barbara Hershey.
April 24, 2007
This movie was recommended in dsoul's profile. I hadn't previously read anything about it. Hell, I didn't even know Anthony LaPaglia did anything besides 'Standard Italian Character #67'.

But, that's the nice thing about Flixster. Exposure...Exposure...Exposure. So, what have I got to say about this one? Well, let me just say, for the most part, it made me REALLY glad not to be in a relationship...at least not in many of the ones depicted here.

The viewer had a challenge if they wanted to solve all the mysteries before the end of the film. The plot takes a few good turns and convinces you that you know what the hell happened...only to find out...yeah, you're a dumbarse...it didn't happen that way at all. I don't like being a dumbarse...but, I like being surprised by a plot that isn't entirely predictable.

Though I liked the film, I didn't develop real fondness for any of the characters. So, I wasn't as emotionally impacted by some of the scenes as I might have been. If you already find yourself in the position to make bold generalizations like 'ALL Men are Pigs', this movie isn't going to improve your outlook. Basically, they cheat, they lie, they don't pick you up when you're stranded, they do dumb things like throwing shoes in the bushes, and they say mean things like 'This isn't an affair...It's a one night stand that happened twice'. But, if you can cut men some slack and accept them even with all their faults, you might want to rent this and see some of their vulnerabilities too.

But, it still makes me glad I'm single. ;-)
moviempress
March 2, 2007
Interesting how all the characters' lives collide. It's filmed in a way that you care for all the characters quite equally, though I wish the Geoffrey Rush character did get a little more time. Lapaglia is wonderful as the torn, adultering husband/cop.
brokenimage227
December 26, 2006
an involving and sobering portrayal of the internal devastation that adultery can wreak on every level of human relationship
December 14, 2013
A fantastic Australian film, flawed in parts by an overly intertwined plot but saved by cameo's by some of the finest actors in Australia.
Dan S