Weekly Ketchup: New Tomb Raider Reboot In the Works

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes movies development news stories that include new roles for Anne Hathaway and Matthew McConaughey, and news about the sequels Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Back to Article

Comments

Justin Kay

Justin Kay

had me goin for a minute there with the whole "defenders" thing. damn.

Mar 29 - 04:32 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

The Nolan news is good. I like the new McConaughey.

Mar 29 - 04:54 PM

Typhon

Typhon Q

Top:Have Alison Carroll do it.
1: Whoever gets cast, this is pretty much guaranteed to be good.
2: Was not expecting that...
9: Good luck getting anyone to take this movie seriously.

Mar 29 - 05:37 PM

I Hate The Tomato

Donald Prentice

Not looking forward to the leaptard at all. Can't wait for the second Planet of the Apes. The last one was good. TMNT? Eh, I guess I will wait for that to come out on Netflix.

Mar 29 - 06:47 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I don't get the TMNT interest resurgence... who the hell was actually wanting this to be rebooted?

Mar 29 - 07:25 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The idea of a reboot was not bad seeing how cheesy & crap the originality action movies were (I refuse to watch the CG animated movie version of it); but once Bay's name was there, I'd rather there not have been a reboot.

Mar 30 - 03:02 AM

Warboss74

Ross L

The 1990 film still stands up well 20+ years later. The other two don't hold up very well, but I still enjoy watching Secret of the Ooze and will sometimes watch 3. I found the 2007 film very enjoyable even with the flaws.

Mar 30 - 07:35 AM

Rick Crismore

Rick Crismore

Who could forget Vanilla Ice in the sequel? "Go ninja go ninja go!"

Mar 31 - 02:07 PM

Warboss74

Ross L

I wouldn't call it a resurgance as TMNT has been going strong for awhile now. The 2003-2009 series (7 seasons 156 episodes) spawned a successful 2007 film that had a sequel in the works before Laird sold the property to Viacom in 2009. Viacom introduced a very successful new comic through IDW in 2011, a wildly successful new cartoon in September 2012 (already renewed for a 3rd season) on Nickolodeon, and they're hoping to build a billion franchise in film.

Mar 30 - 07:29 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I agree with Ross. It never really went away. My kids and their friends love TMNT as much as I did as a kid. I also agree that the first live action movie is still great. The other two, not so much. Vanilla Ice anyone??? Didn't think so.

Mar 30 - 01:56 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jesus Clint no fucking Jersey Boys....

Mar 29 - 07:23 PM

Aaron Hahn

Aaron Hahn

I almost wish The Defenders wasnt a April Fool's joke. I mean, think about it. What if at the end of Avengers 2, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all died or disappeared during the fight with Thanos, and Marvel's cinematic universe would revolve around these lesser tier heroes such as Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, who would then be forced to rise up and rescue these fallen Avengers in their team up movie (The Defenders). It would be one of the riskiest business moves in history but the story payoff could be amazing!!

Mar 29 - 07:24 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

From the comics, what I remember was that Iron Man left The Avengers to join the Guardians of the Galaxy. Captain America, Hawkeye, and some other S.H.I.E.L.D agents die and Thanos would be defeated while other characters like Thor went back to Asgard for more adventures and Bruce Banner would escape again. I'm not saying that's true as Marvel makes a bunch of alternate timelines but I would say by Phrase 4 this is where we'll be.

Mar 29 - 08:52 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Mar 29 - 07:25 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Mar 30 - 03:02 AM

Warboss74

Ross L

Mar 30 - 07:35 AM

Rick Crismore

Rick Crismore

Who could forget Vanilla Ice in the sequel? "Go ninja go ninja go!"

Mar 31 - 02:07 PM

Warboss74

Ross L

Mar 30 - 07:29 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Mar 30 - 01:56 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Although I'm still sad to Angelina go, but I love to see a Tomb Raider reboot. I wonder which British actress should portray her in the third movie.

Mar 29 - 08:34 PM

Matthew R.

Matthew Reimer

Mar 29 - 08:52 PM

Teddy K.

Ryan Gavetti

I'll never understand how Planet of the Apes has continually re-surged throughout the years. Yes, I enjoyed the original film. No, I did not enjoy the next four Jacobs films, the TV series, cartoon series, remake, reboot and everything else that goes into a beaten-to-death franchise. Let's kill the cash cow and find something new; the Planet of the Apes universe does not lend itself to a half-century's worth of material.

Mar 29 - 10:14 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Probably not, but the reboot wasn't terrible.

Mar 29 - 11:00 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Probably not, but the reboot wasn't terrible.

Mar 29 - 11:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Namor the Submariner needs to be a film eventually. Why you foooling and make it happen? The Savior of Atlantis is the Prince of the Deep.

Mar 29 - 11:36 PM

Matt Ritchey

Matt Ritchey

You bastards - you had me all psyched for NAMOR! ;)

Mar 30 - 01:04 AM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

They had me at Valkyrie.

Mar 30 - 06:17 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

The Tomb Raider part is the only interesting news this week, & this not saying much seeing that the reboot was actually supposed to happen regardless.

As for the Ninja Turtles thing, to this day I'm still trying to find out who the hell approved of such an abomination. I'd rather there be a completely new take on the Garbage Pail kids remake than this. Even some of my cousins who could give less of a shit about The TMNT were left with "WHAT THE FUCK?!" expressions when they heard about the new thing with the Turtles.

Mar 30 - 03:00 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Mar 30 - 03:02 AM

Warboss74

Ross L

Mar 30 - 07:35 AM

Rick Crismore

Rick Crismore

Who could forget Vanilla Ice in the sequel? "Go ninja go ninja go!"

Mar 31 - 02:07 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

I have to say the hand-wringing over the TMNT has me baffled, as someone too old to have been a fan back in the day. Granted M Bay's involvement with anything is never good news, so I sympathize there. But isn't any version of this going to be cheesy (intentionally or otherwise)? Can anyone give a brief explanation as to their appeal beyond "I liked that in the 80s?" What would a "good" TMNT film be exactly? (This is a sincere non-snarky question)

Mar 30 - 06:16 AM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

It depends upon perspective, probably. Older fans like me might prefer a version that is faithful to the original 1980s comics, before the concept was bastardized for kids cartoons. Those comics (which were black and white) were basically spoofs of Frank Miller's Daredevil and Batman runs... ridiculous anthropomorphic animal characters depicted as "grim and gritty and tough." The problem is, no one today thinks of TNMT as being spoofing something else. So, the point would be lost... unless they really were obvious about it, and tried to spoof say, Nolan's Dark Knight movies. But they will never do that, because most people like those movies.

Mar 30 - 02:58 PM

Warboss74

Ross L

I guess I don't understand why you'd say a spoof of the Dark Knight trilogy.

Mar 31 - 05:29 AM

Greg Dean Schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Those were the most really popular recent superhero movies that were "grim and gritty."

Mar 31 - 09:02 AM

Warboss74

Ross L

I understand those are the most recent "grim and gritty" superhero movies, but I don't get how making a Turtles movie in that style/tone would be bad considering that's how the franchise started. It wasn't like they were making fun of the stuff they were spoofing. (Splinter, the Foot, the daredevil origin, etc.) The creators were huge fans of Miller, Kirby, Sim, etc. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your view on spoofing.

Mar 31 - 10:33 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

This would have been the awesome project that the 2007 reboot should have been. It had a great position, coming after Sin City, 300 and Batman Begins to have been a hit as both a Frank Miller and a green-screen parody. It would have stood out from that summer's disappointments like Spiderman 3 and Transformers. Woulda Shoulda Coulda, but it'd still probably be a very popular niche film as well, before Miller had a chance to parody himself with The Saint.

Mar 31 - 01:42 PM

Warboss74

Ross L

The Turtles have been running for a quite a while, so it's not just a nostalgic 80's thing. Like Greg mentions there's the original Mirage Comics created by Eastman and Laird in 1983, first issue May 1984. Those ran 1984-1995 (TMNT vol 1 and 2, Tales of TMNT vol. 1) through Mirage, 1996-1999 (TMNT vol. 3) through Image, and 2001-2010 (TMNT vol. 4, Tales of TMNT vol.2) through Mirage. There was the Archie comics (TMNT Adventures) that started as a 3 issue miniseries in 1988 before becoming it's own series running 1989-1995. Since the sale to Viacom in 2009, there's been a very successful reboot comic produced by IDW from 2011-present.

It's also been a strong presence on tv beyond just the 1987-1996 Fred Wolf cartoon (10 seasons 193 episodes). The Next Mutation only lasted a season (1997-1998) because Saban wanted part of the property after the first season was so successful. It had some good concepts that were executed over the top cheesy much like other Saban shows. (Power Rangers, Beetleborgs, etc.) Then there was the 2003-2009 4Kids show (7 seasons 156 episodes), which was much closer in tone to the original Mirage comics. 4kids mandated that the show be lighter in tone for seasons 6 (Fast Forward) and 7 (Back to the Sewers) because they felt it was getting too dark. Nickolodeon has launched a wildly successful reboot that has already been renewed for a 3rd season while still in it's first season. (I'll bet it gets a 4th before the 2nd starts next fall) It's a lot more comedic than the 2003 show, but it's a lot more action oriented than the 1987 cartoon.

As for what a good Turtles movie looks like, I would point to the original 1990 movie. It did a good job of balancing the Mirage comics and elements from the Fred Wolf cartoon. There were a lot of scenes ripped straight from the panels of the comic books. Unfortunately, it was so controversial at the time that the studio pushed to make it much lighter for the two sequels and the quality suffered. They finally returned to the big screen in 2007 with a successful and enjoyable albeit flawed CGI film. There was a sequel in the works until Laird sold the property to Viacom in 2009. What I find funny or ironic is that the Turtles make fun of Michael Bay in a Mirage vol. 4/Tales of TMNT vol. 2 issue, and now he's the one producing the movie. Personally, I'd like it to at least be treated/portrayed respectfully like recent comic book movies. Ideally, we get either a Dark Knight trilogy or Avengers quality film.

Mar 31 - 05:27 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Thanks, Wiki!

Mar 31 - 01:37 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

Thanks for the replies; sounds like the original comic had more substance than I was giving it credit for. Safe bet that Mr Bay will be chucking any hip satirical humor out the window on this one.

Mar 31 - 07:35 PM

Captain Terror

Captain Terror

They had me at Valkyrie.

Mar 30 - 06:17 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships