Total Recall: Best Tom Hanks Movies

We count down the best-reviewed work of the Larry Crowne star.

Tom Hanks

Co-starring in a short-lived sitcom about cross-dressing friends generally isn't the most direct path to superstardom, but there's an exception to prove every rule -- only one, though; sorry, Peter Scolari -- and after racking up over $3 billion in domestic ticket receipts, winning a mantel full of awards (including back-to-back Best Actor Oscars), and starring in some of the best-reviewed films of the last 25 years, Tom Hanks has demonstrated that he's pretty darned exceptional. With his latest project, the grown-up romantic comedy Larry Crowne, arriving in theaters this weekend, we decided now was the perfect time to pay tribute to an impressive body of work by twirling the dials on the Tomatometer, making a list of Hanks' best-reviewed films, and playing Total Recall!

These lists are almost always greeted with cries of "I can't believe you left off [title of film]!" and Hanks' Total Recall is bound to be no different -- with a list of films that includes some of the most audience and critic-friendly releases of the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, some fairly heavy hitters were bound to miss the top 10. Which of your favorites didn't make the list? To find out, join us as we relive the brightest critical highlights of a distinguished career -- then visit Hanks' complete filmography to read up on the rest!

90%

10. Cast Away

If there was ever any doubt as to the strength of Tom Hanks' appeal, it was thoroughly answered with 2000's Cast Away, a movie that asked viewers to spend over an hour watching its star wander an island with little to do and only a volleyball for companionship. He didn't just topline it, Hanks essentially was the film, absorbing a percentage of screen time that, in lesser hands, would have amounted to an endurance test for audiences. Happily, he proved up to the task, as attested by Cast Away's healthy $429 million worldwide gross -- not to mention the scores of overwhelmingly positive reviews from critics like Margaret A. McGurk of the Cincinnati Enquirer, who praised Hanks for rising to the challenges of the script: "The challenge to the character is matched by the challenge to the actor; for most of the movie Mr. Hanks is the only human being we see or hear. He tackles the job with stunning confidence in a performance stripped of gimmicks and driven by need."

92%

9. Saving Private Ryan

American directors have been making movies about World War II since 1940, and even as early as the 1980s, it was a genre associated by many with Norman Rockwell revisionism and John Wayne machismo. By 1998, for a movie about the war to add anything new to the dialogue, it would have to be something truly special -- but with Spielberg behind the cameras and a cast led by Tom Hanks, an actor as quintessentially American as apple pie, Saving Private Ryan was off to a pretty good start even before the first roll of film had been shot. The end result, of course, was one of the best-reviewed films (and biggest hits) of the year -- a $481 million hit that arrived perfectly timed to coincide with a new wave of interest in what Tom Brokaw dubbed "The Greatest Generation." Lauded for its sometimes shocking realism, Ryan was eventually nominated for 11 Academy Awards, and helped prompt Hanks' involvement (along with Spielberg and many others) in HBO's 10-part World War II documentary, Band of Brothers -- an important film, in other words, and one that, despite a few dissenting opinions (Andrew Sarris called it "tediously manipulative"), earned a healthy 91 percent Tomatometer thanks to plenty of high praise from critics like Richard Schickel of Time, who applauded it as "a war film that, entirely aware of its genre's conventions, transcends them as it transcends the simplistic moralities that inform its predecessors, to take the high, morally haunting ground."

92%

8. Splash

Starring in a frothy romantic comedy as a man who falls in love with a mermaid may not seem like the surest path to starting a film career, but then, 1984's Splash was no ordinary movie -- in fact, it started a lot of things, among them an entire studio (Touchstone Pictures, created to allow Disney the ability to release more "adult" fare without sullying its name brand), a surge in the number of girls named Madison, and, supposedly, a name change for the Disneyland ride that eventually became Splash Mountain. Not bad for a movie featuring a pair of largely untested stars (Hanks was fresh from Bosom Buddies, and Hannah was known mainly for her role in Blade Runner) and a director most people still thought of as Opie Taylor (or Richie Cunningham). Nearly $70 million in domestic receipts (and one Academy Award nomination) later, and Hanks was on his way to stardom, thanks in part to positive critical buzz that has proven surprisingly durable; recently, Empire's Ian Freer held it up as "the movie that really showed Tom Hanks' promise as a deliverer of great comedy and heart-warming pathos."

93%

7. That Thing You Do!

Some moviegoers who went to see That Thing You Do! expecting another "Tom Hanks movie" may have come away disappointed with his relative lack of screen time -- his character, the slick A&R executive known as Mr. White, is the textbook definition of a "minor but pivotal" role -- but if they paid attention to the credits, they saw that it had Hanks literally written all over it: he made his writing/directing debut with That Thing, which follows the speedy rise (and equally speedy fall) of a rock band in 1966. Though it wasn't a huge hit, the movie did spin off a medium-sized hit on the pop charts ("That Thing You Do," written by Fountains of Wayne's Adam Schlesinger and sung by future power pop demigod Mike Viola) and enjoyed highly favorable reviews from the likes of Desson Thomson of the Washington Post, who wrote, "first-time writer/director Tom Hanks stays about a half-beat ahead of the clichés with rim shots of boyish enthusiasm and deft comedy."

97%

6. Big

There were a number of age-swapping comedies at the box office in the late 1980s, including Vice Versa (starring Judge Reinhold and Fred Savage as a father and son who switch bodies), 18 Again! (in which George Burns plays an 81-year-old millionaire who trades souls with Charlie Schlatter), and Like Father Like Son (Dudley Moore and Kirk Cameron -- 'nuff said). Big, released in June of 1988, came after all of them, but rather than being dismissed as excessively similar to a bunch of movies that hadn't done all that well at the box office, it went down as one of the year's most successful films, piling up over $150 million in worldwide grosses and earning Hanks some desperately needed box office mojo after his appearances in The Money Pit, Nothing in Common, and (shudder) Dragnet. Though it would be awhile yet before Hanks really found his stride as a leading man -- he still had Joe Versus the Volcano ahead of him, after all -- his sweetly comic performance here did not go unnoticed by critics like the New York Times' Janet Maslin, who wrote, "for any other full-grown actors who try their hands at fidgeting, squirming, throwing water balloons and wolfing down food in a huge variety of comically disgusting ways, this really is the performance to beat."

Comments

Bradley J.

Bradley J

A great and inspirational actor. It's funny how the three Toy Story movies are at the top of the list.

Jun 27 - 12:30 PM

Brad Hadfield

I'd say more annoying than funny. While I appreciate the films and the voicework, I'd rather the space had been dedicated to a few films he actually appeared in that just missed the cut, like Philadelphia, League of Their Own or Forrest Gump.

That said, what an amazing career. Even his earlier, less serious stuff warrants a look: Bachelor Party, Turner & Hooch, The 'Burbs, etc.

Jun 27 - 04:11 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Well, maybe one Toy Story would have been ok. His work in that needs to be included here. However, I agree with you. Many of his other films were left out, and at least two more would have sufficed. Maybe combine all the toy story movies into one?

Jun 27 - 07:41 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Combining them woul have been smart.

Jun 28 - 12:46 PM

Rob P.

Rob Perkins

Just because he was the only good thing about A League of Their Own, doesn't mean it was a good movie. :\

Jun 27 - 08:15 PM

Brad Hadfield

I liked League but to each their own. However, if we follow AnDy's advice and combine the 3 Toy Stories, there's room for Philadelphia and Forrest Gump, his two Oscar-winning roles. Kind of ridiculous that the movies he won best actor for aren't included in the list. Of course, that also says A LOT about the quality of his movies!

Jun 28 - 06:06 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, and Philadelphia are way better than the Toy Story movies in my opinion . . . but more audiences relate to the Toy Story movies especially on Rotten Tomatoes. But then again maybe the Toy Story movies ARE better because they are indeed more accessible than the aforementioned movies. Is it luck that Tom Hanks is On Top of the World or is he really The Best Actor Alive . . . only one other actor one Academy Awards back to back in 80 or so yesrs.

Jun 28 - 10:32 AM

Tyler S.

Tyler Schwab

Forrest Gump= the most over praised/ overrated movie of all time in my opinion. It left me with such an unpleasant feeling when I was supposed to have my heart strings pulled. I have never forgiven the academy for given the oscar to Gump over both The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction. The Toy Story films deserve to be at the top of Hanks' list. Just my opinion though.

Jun 28 - 11:45 AM

Jaho K.

Jaho Koo

I second that. Forrest Gump is overrated as hell.

Jun 29 - 07:46 AM

tony

tony mullo

yeah, and Toy Story isnt overrated .... cartoon (its meant for children) gets something like 100% and a great movie where real actors play gets below that

Jul 2 - 02:29 PM

Charlie T.

Charlie Tyrganst

It also beat Quiz Show...the forgotten film that year...lost in the triumphata of praise that Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, and Forrest Gump got. Quiz Show was my favorite that year and in my opinion one of the most underrated films of the 90s.

Jul 3 - 03:14 PM

samrocker

Sam Rocker

TERRIBLE list. Forrest Gump doesn't make the list? Saving Private Ryan at number 9? Rotten Tomatoes list generators have fallen WAY in love with Pixar films. It was VOICE ACTING. Don't think he won an oscar for that role. If you're going to include Toy Story, include all three as one entry.

Jun 28 - 10:58 AM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

And it was excellent voice acting, too.

Jun 29 - 05:32 AM

TheEmeraldGuy

Bradley Bainter

Completely agreed. His voice alone is pretty much what sold Woody for me (as did the others too.).

Jun 29 - 11:02 PM

AceJournalist

Ace Journalist

I really like the Toy Story movies and think that it's great they are at the top of the list. I actually like Toy Story and Toy Story 3 better than Toy Story 2, but I agree that just based on Tom Hanks- not the movie itself- Toy Story 2 would be #1.

Jul 1 - 10:40 AM

AceJournalist

Ace Journalist

Jul 1 - 10:42 AM

randymongoose

Randy Mongoose

his career is ridiculously good. Most actor would kill to have any of those films, hes got 10 amazin film,s and then there are the likes of Forrest Gump and Green Mile that aren't there.

Jun 27 - 12:44 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

They are on the RT users list however, which makes a whole lot more sense than the critic's picks in this case.

Jun 27 - 01:08 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

My favorite is Saving Private Ryan. Best WWII film.

Jun 27 - 12:44 PM

jonboy83

Jonathan Hartness

agreed

Jun 28 - 05:44 AM

Enoch C.

Enoch Ching

highly agree. so many war films that followed it copied it's formula

Jun 28 - 11:20 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

How the fuck is Saving Private Ryan not at 100%?

Jun 29 - 05:38 AM

TheEmeraldGuy

Bradley Bainter

*Best war film period...well, so far at least.

Jun 29 - 09:48 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

That's greatly debatable not dissing "Saving Private Ryan" by any means. You are forgetting films like "Bridge On The River Kwai", "The Thin Red Line", "The Longest Day", "The Sand Pebbles", "Black Hawk Down", "Battleground" & the list goes on.

Jul 1 - 04:57 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

This guy can act. Not looking forward to Larry Crowne though.

Jun 27 - 12:47 PM

Mark C.

mark conroy

Awesome guy, and i don't think i have ever seen a list were all ten are above 90%

Jun 27 - 12:49 PM

Brantastic16

Brandon Williamson

I believe that Robert De Niro's top 10 list is all above 90% as well. But yes, it is very rare.

Jun 29 - 11:09 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

His best films are Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, and the Green Mile. I don't consider voice acting as a legitimate acting role - I mean sure it requires talent but probably should be in a different category, like narration.

Jun 27 - 01:06 PM

TheGateofTruth

I Am The Vast UNIVERSE I Am The Vast UNIVERSE

Voice acting is indeed acting..it is counted no doubt.

Jun 27 - 06:52 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Be that as it may, you will never see someone win 'Best Actor/Actress/Supporting/Etc' from a voice acting role.

Jun 27 - 06:59 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Ah yes. The award shows are the almighty measuring stick. /sarcasm

Jun 29 - 05:37 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

As I did state in my above post, it CLEARLY takes talent - however it's only half of a performance (Unless it's motion capture, I suppose).

As for award shows being a measuring stick, aside from those shows and things like the tomatometer - what else is there to gauge? Individual opinions are really just that, and unless you put some merit in that the Academy's choices, or a coalition of critics collective consensus (say that 3 times fast) actually bear weight - then there really is no true scale and we're alll just full of shit - including you.

Jun 29 - 06:47 PM

Noah Abraham G.

Noah Abraham Goucher

I think voice acting takes an insane amount of talent. Whereas with normal acting, the subtlety of emotion (body movement, facial expressions, etc.) are all up to you, the voice actors have to trust the animators to get all that right. It must be very difficult finding the right note, so as you still get your feelings across, but without going overboard with your emotions.

Jun 29 - 12:56 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Jun 27 - 01:08 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

The Money Pit...that is all.

Jun 27 - 01:17 PM

Phillip K.

Phillip Kissell

I actually just watched Apollo 13 last night. He was amazing. (as was everyone else)

Jun 27 - 01:31 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

Love Apollo 13.

Jun 28 - 11:49 AM

MAMOVIES

Matheus Cassiano

Never seen it...But I really want to!

Jun 29 - 12:22 AM

Dave J

I like alot of what Tom Hanks had done, but I don't think he's ever been in a film I can see in repeated viewings- alot of his films I had seen only once because some of them are a little too "simplistic" for my tastes in comparison to other films!

Jun 27 - 01:49 PM

Bjornar

A B

Indeed an excellent list, though I'll give a shout out for Bachelor Party, a movie that seems to only work in an era gone by, and yet still aped by movies to this day. The Man with One Red Shoe, hell I'd even through in Turner and Hooch. About the only movies I haven't dug were Joe Vs. the Volcano--simply an odd film--and the Dan Brown films (mainly because Hanks didn't seem right to play the character).

Jun 28 - 09:39 AM

Swampfox

Pat Marion

Without a doubt one of the best actors of his generation. The man is incredibly versatile and has made incredible movies. I thank Mr. Hanks for being able to help make "Band of Brothers" possible as well.

My personal favorites are Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, Big, The Green Mile, Road to Perdition, and Catch Me If You Can.

Jun 27 - 02:02 PM

Jun 27 - 04:11 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

Jun 27 - 07:41 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Combining them woul have been smart.

Jun 28 - 12:46 PM

Rob P.

Rob Perkins

Jun 27 - 08:15 PM

Jun 28 - 06:06 AM

The Reaper

Iron Will

Does anyone of his generation have a better filmography? Maybe Harrison Ford? I dunno, pretty tough to outclass this.

Jun 27 - 04:14 PM

Brad Hadfield

Ford is a good call, but I don't think he has anywhere near the range that Hanks has. Also, while I can't think of a truly awful Hanks film (everyone says Bonfire of the Vanities is horrible, but I haven't seen it), Ford has a couple of complete duds on his resume (Random Hearts, Hollywood Homicide, Morning Glory). I didn't care for Firewall, either. I think the last movie I liked of his was Airforce One.

Jun 27 - 04:54 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

Actually dude, "Morning Glory" wasn't a dud by any means for Ford. It had a 54% approval (or T-Meter) which isn't bad by any means. Technically, that's C plus level which is moderately adequate. As for "You've Got Mail", technically that wasn't a bad film by any means either & actually had satisfactory approval. Granted, Ernst Lubitsch's "The Shop Around The Corner" is FAR superior starring James Stewart.

Jun 27 - 06:46 PM

Brad Hadfield

I personally didn't care for Morning Glory. I also wouldn't call 54% a ringing endorsement, and I believe it underperformed financially as well. I do like Ford; I wish he would've taken the Douglas role in Traffic, could've taken his career in a better direction than its been going. I hope Cowboys and Aliens is good.

As for You've Got Mail, that also was a personal opinion. I know a lot of people like the Tom/Meg combo. I was fine with them in Joe vs. the Volcano and Sleepless in Seattle, but Mail was just too darn sugary-sweet for me - except, again, for Posey.

Overall though, I generally love Tom Hanks movies, while for me Ford hasn't done much of note since the mid 90s.

Jun 27 - 07:05 PM

Dave J

Ford's Star Wars & Indiana Jones films alone, are more enjoyable than most of what Hanks has been in who has been in more romantic comedies with Meg Ryan or dramas pictures than in action /adventure ones, in my opinion, anyway! It's never about "how" many films the person does- it's more like the quality and appeal!

Jun 28 - 12:25 PM

Dave J

Don't get me wrong- I love Tom Hank films such as Big, Forrest Gump etc... but action/ adventure, suspense and even thriller films are usually my preference when it comes to "genres", and I find that Hanks is either more drama/ comedy or even children than all others!

Jun 28 - 12:36 PM

NTROST

Anthony W.

@Brad H.
I wouldn't call a 54% a failing endorsement by any accounts. I mean 54% isn't bad by no means & like I said, technically it's C plus material. In terms of it's Box-Office? The budget was never released. So, who knows in that aspect.

@Dave J.
Ford's Star Wars & Indiana Jones films still don't make Ford's filmography better than Hanks' filmography by any accounts. Hanks has more films of higher quality & value than Ford does. There really is no questions about it.

Jul 1 - 05:15 PM

Dave J

What're you basing this on, on the metre consenses, because the they're both star in two different genres. Hanks is drama and comedy, whereas Ford is action/ adventure and science fiction!

Jul 20 - 03:45 PM

Jane Doe

Chad Hensdale

Joe vs. the Volcano

Jun 27 - 07:15 PM

Brad Hadfield

I take it back, I hated "You've Got Mail." It was too cutesy for its own good. At least it had Parker Posey though.

Jun 27 - 05:06 PM

daftfunk

Mircea M

I Don't doubt that Hanks has a good filmography, but I also think he has a very safe one. Not many risks on his resume that's for sure.

Jun 27 - 08:27 PM

Brad Hadfield

Fair enough, though three I'd say were not safe would be Philadelphia (it likely would be considered safe now, but not in 1993), Castaway (just him on an island for 2 hours? The whole movie was on his shoulders) and Road to Perdition (against-type as a hitman, though not all that bad of one). I'd throw Forrest Gump in there, but then the whole "Tropic Thunder" thing made a good point about that type of role.

Jun 28 - 06:01 AM

Nice avatar by the way.

Jun 28 - 06:02 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Piling on to Philadelphia I don't think it was particularly safe for a guy who was best known as one of America's top comedians to make the leap to doing serious roles, especially ones like that. People forget because it's common now for comediens to try to bridge that gap, no one was doing that at the time Smilin Tommy Hanks did it.

Jun 28 - 10:00 AM

daftfunk

Mircea M

The lost Weekend is such an incredible movie that speaks so much truth.

But back to Hanks, I don't doubt that he's taken some risks, but for the most part in my opinion he's taken safe roles with established directors, producers, and writers involved. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing considering he consistently puts out good quality work. At this point in his career I don't expect him to change the types of movies he picks nor do I think he should. Even Larry Crowne would have been a bit risky had he not cast Julia Roberts, but that right there will Secure a certain crowd. It's smart film making no doubt about it.

Jun 29 - 01:18 PM

Mr. Dufresne

Chip McNair

Amazing actor! My favorites are the Toy Story Trilogy, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan, and The Green Mile. Also, I haven't seen Splash in a long time, but I have a feeling that would be one of my favorites, too.

Jun 27 - 04:26 PM

scifimark

scifi mark

You know its a great actor when the number 10 movie is at 90% Also seems like a classy guy from everything i have heard

Jun 27 - 04:50 PM

Jane Doe

Chad Hensdale

Joe vs. the Volcano

Jun 27 - 07:15 PM

Esteban H.

Steven Hernandez

The Simpsons movie. 'Nuff said.

Jun 27 - 04:57 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

When saving private Ryan is only 9 on your personal list, you've done good.

Jun 27 - 05:04 PM

Jun 27 - 05:06 PM

daftfunk

Mircea M

Jun 27 - 08:27 PM

Jun 28 - 06:01 AM

Nice avatar by the way.

Jun 28 - 06:02 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jun 28 - 10:00 AM

daftfunk

Mircea M

The lost Weekend is such an incredible movie that speaks so much truth.

Jun 29 - 01:18 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday