Movies Like The Last Boy Scout

—— Unforgettable: Season 3

The Last Boy Scout Reviews

familiar s

September 14, 2013
Yeah, yeah, guilty as charged. Getting to the movie, I wasn't so involved with its main story because most of the scenes individually were entertaining enough to keep me hooked with the act going on. Bruce Willis has performed similar roles before too, but he's no less incredible here. I don't know the quarterback actor, but he got along well. Willis' dialogue delivery (and the calm attitude in not-so-calm circumstances) is exceptionally brilliant. Besides Willis, its dialogues/one-liners were highly remarkable. Most of the remaining actors contribute their fair share.

There were a few hiccups so far as I'm concerned. The quarterback character who (pushes, and hence) joins Willis in the investigation of his girlfriend's murder hardly showed any grief for the loss. In fact, it seemed as if he were on a joyride. Joe's sad personal life bit (his family hardly having any respect for him & whatnot) has been performed to death, and should have rather been left out. And including the kid to join the duo in action in the final sequences didn't add much to the entertainment either.

All being said, I've enjoyed a movie to this extent after quite a while. So much that I'm indifferent to include this quite an ordinary flick in my favorites list (for now, if not forever). I highly recommend it. All the same, be prepared; that's bound to help just in case....... And then some.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 7, 2009
"This is the '90s. You can't just walk up and slap a guy, you have to say something cool first."

A down and out cynical detective teams up with a down and out ex-quarterback to try and solve a murder case involving a pro football team and a politician.

REVIEW
You look at this movie and what do you see? A patterned action movie. A patterned Bruce Willis vehicle. The simple fact is they just don't make 'em like this anymore. It gives us what we want, when we want it and that's why 'The Last Boy Scout' succeeds. In instant gratification, a comfortable level of predictability and by not pulling any surprise punches. No stranger to the cracking down-and-out tough guy roles, Willis is in form and Damon Wayans makes for a surprisingly good supporting turn. 'The Last Boy Scout' shows he can carry a serious role when his thing has mainly been comedy.

Written by Shane Black and with the layers striped away, it's a movie we've seen and heard before plenty 'o times. The good guys versus bad guys is pretty black and white. It's got a crackling script apt with one liners and situations perfect for action showdowns or character moments, but it also seems to have a multiple personality disorder. Dealing with the professional sport of football, the initial tone is quite serious. It all gives away to territory traveled before soon enough, but I wonder if the serious start was just to establish the dark path or was it something more. Something darker never to be? There's glimpses that the story is trying to be more than just an action trip however that sediment is far and away gone by the time we reach the wacky end as only seen in action movies, but it begs the question. At the end of the day, the Last Boy Scout is everything you remember it to be. Loud, violent, politically incorrect, crude, funny and definitely quotable. The kind of light fare rift with lots of junk blowing up, cursing and little in the way of asking the viewer to think. It might pale in comparison to Willis's diverse catalog and again, the start is much stronger than the end, but it's still a hoot if you know what you're looking for!
Megan S

December 7, 2011
I love Bruce Willis but why did I waste my life watching this terrible movie.
Conner R

February 2, 2011
A ridiculously cool buddy action movie that almost makes it to Lethal Weapon status. This is way more comedy based, but it has enough action to go around as well. Bruce Willis is perfect in these types of roles, it doesn't even seem like he has to try in order to nail the character. While Damon Wayans isn't perfect, he's a lot better than other potential co-stars. Tony Scott and Shane Black know how to give you an action extravaganza and this is certainly no exception.
Anthony L

August 23, 2010
I think it is somewhat unfair to just pass this off as another dumb fun shoot em' up. It's script is brilliant, Shane Black is a brilliant writer too, and this film is very funny but it certainly doesn't lack the all important occasional (and appropriate) exploding head here and there, the balance is perfect. A real dark comedy posing as an action film and Lots of good fun, my favourite Tony Scott along side True Romance.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

December 1, 2006
"Shit, we're bein' beat up by the inventor of Scrabble."
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 22, 2007
Say what you will about Tony Scott. The man gets his hands on some high octane material. This time around it's just as funny as it is action-driven. Well worth your time.
arashxak
arashxak

September 28, 2009
A bad action flick but fortunately has some funny moments & is fun to watch at times
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 27, 2007
Say what you will about these "buddy movies" from the 90's, but they have a likability to them that is pretty rare in the action genre these days. Granted that this is just another brick in the wall among films like the Rush Hour and Lethal Weapon series, but it's one that undeniably entertains in both its action and humor. And with lines like "This is the '90s. You don't just go around punching people. You have to say something cool first", it's impossible not to love the style of writing they had back when this was made. I don't know about the rest of you, but I kind of miss it :-)
Jason S

April 26, 2008
Good action flick and the two guys work well together on screen.
Tim S

July 30, 2007
Ain't life a bitch?
Al S

June 27, 2006
An explosive action-packed thrill machine. Powerful. Gritty. Exciting. Original. Outragiously funny. A tounge in cheek, character driven action flick thats hard to resist. Bruce Willis and Damon Wayne are fantastic. They play each other off perfectly as a great and charasmatic buddy team. A awsome adreniline pumping rush that wont quit for a minute. Fast paced and totally fun. A great entertainment ride.
Red L

November 11, 2007
A bad ass movie with a lot of one-liners. Not bad for a shoot-em-up movie
EightThirty .

October 2, 2007
Cool Old School ^_^
Tim B

June 28, 2007
I remember everyone going nuts over this movie. I also remember being really bored by it.
Dean !

June 16, 2007
A pretty good action film as a cop and an ex American footballer team up to investigate a couple of strange deaths.
Aaron N

May 29, 2007
Milo: You think you are so fucking cool, don't you? You think you are so fucking cool. But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain...
Joe Hallenbeck: Play some rap music.

Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans star in a big and loud R rated action movie from Tony Scott, written by Buddy Movie King Screenwriter Shane Black.

In this movie, everyone is a different degree of asshole, even Willis' 13 year old daughter. This basically means that the general attitude gives everyone the chance to spout some of the best one-liners in a 90s action movie.

Joe Hallenbeck: Now what are you doing?
Jimmy Dix: I'm drawing them a picture.
Joe Hallenbeck: What's that?
Jimmy Dix: It's a bomb.
Joe Hallenbeck: It doesn't look like a bomb, it looks like an apple with lines coming out of it. What are they gonna say, "don't open the briefcase, it's full of fresh fruit"?
Jimmy Dix: Do you want to draw the damn thing?

The plot is fairly straight forward, Willis is a deadbeat P.I. assigned to a case, blah blah blah, Damon Wayans girlfriend gets killed, blah blah blah, they team up, blah blah blah, corruption, action.

Darian: I wanna know what's going on!
Jimmy Dix: Watch CNN. Now get out of the car.

What helps is the R rating, where these characters can swear a lot and have some viscious gun fights, and that's what I call entertainment.

(Car Explodes)
Jimmy Dix: Was that C-4!?!
Joe Hallenbeck: Either that, or a hell of a factory recall.
Michael S

March 3, 2007
Over-the top violence, tons of profanity, Bruce Willis- What's not to like?
kpn666
kpn666

February 21, 2007
Yeah.... another over the top, highly violent flick of the mullet and glitter generation. I dont know about anyone else, but Bruce Willis has a knack for pulling off the smart ass tough and very destructive character roles with ease such as the famous John McClane, and this os noe exception - aside from the fact they make him an ex-secret service agent with a death wish and more issues then LA Confidential - and no surprise - more violent, rude, mean and more slick liners which he has no problems pulling off, then killing the bad guy in the next second. Damon Wayans is a nusiance in this, though in retrospect, I dont think they could have got anyone else to pull off the role.
Anywayz, a private detective and shamed quarterback team up to find a murderer but instead wind up as targets for some very nasty people with big businesses and guns. Throw in a cheating wife, a foul-mouthed 13 year old (yep, its Bruce's kid and wife) and Halle Berry doing a pole dance and yeah this movie gets action thriller fans interested. But im glad Tony Scott and Shane Black was behind the helm or this movie would have gone to the dogs.
This movie was kinda warming Bruce up for later roles, such as the infamous Die Hard with a Vengeance and this movie was a good springboard to it. The bad guys are bland - they all die of course but they have nothing against Willis who is much more nastier and brutal than his foes. Damon Wayans is better off doing his comedies but both guys on screen make an okay partnership - not exactly Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte in 48 Hours but it comes close.

Well - action, brutality, guns, bombs, half-naked chicks, half naked Halle Berry, liners with every single swear word in the Macquarie dictionary...... yep, another wham bam thank you maam' flick - but hey, its the late 80's and early 90s!!

This was one of the last movies of its kind.... and one of the better ones.
sanjurosamurai